sessions in or around Oneonta, NY?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
janice

sessions in or around Oneonta, NY?

Post by janice »

I'm moving to Oneonta, New York next week for a new gig. . . are any of you all aware of any sessions in that area (it's only about 30 minutes from East Durham)? Already checked the session board for listings but came up short. . .
Pete D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pete D »

r u goin' to college up there? I've heard Oneota to be quite a party college, otherwise known as "Stone-eonta."
:party:
janice

Post by janice »

I'm actually a Prof, so it's best to avoid such things...but good to know nonetheless!
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

I use to live out that way and while I can't help much with session locations, I am wondering how you're going to go from Oneonta to East Durham is 30 minutes. Unless you have a jet.
Check this site to see if there is anything close by:

http://www.thesession.org/index.php

Good luck,
Mike
malanstevenson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Hi Janice,

While I haven't lived there for a long time, I get back to visit family at least once per year (Stoneonta was perhaps more apt in the 70s-80s, but then again I don't get out much anymore). Last year there was a weekly session going on in a cafe on Main St., Lena's I think its called. I'm told it was started by Patrick Dunn, who used to live there (I think he posts on C&F). There was an accordian player (music prof from Hartwick College) doing cajun-type stuff, fiddler Kathy (Shimberg??) and a few others. I suspect there are a fair number of trad musicians in them thar hills.

I'll be in town the first week of October (after the East Coast Tionol in East Durham), please PM me if you'd like to get together for some tunes.

Cheers,
Mark
janice

Post by janice »

Thanks for the info guys. Malanstevenson, we ate at Lena's in July - so good to know there was a regular session there last year... I will be teaching music at Hartwick, so I'll inquire about the accordian playing Prof. Thanks mucho.

Good suggestion, Mike, however - I already checked the session site and turned up nada.
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

I moved away about a year ago, but don't really know anything about sessions. If you're interested in jazz, however, you should check out Al Gallodoro. He's an amazing sax player at the age of 90+. He plays gigs around the area, and frequently plays at some little restaurants downtown. Pretty amazing.

And the party school reputation is well founded, but even if you live near the campuses the noise from the parties isn't too bad since the houses have to be insulated enough from the cold that it keeps out most of the noise :)
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

There's not much near Oneonta that I know of...you're a couple hours from Syracuse and Ithaca, both of which have sessions. I'm not sure if there's anything closer, unfortunately.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Janice, good luck with your new post!
And anyone there studying music is so fortunate..Janice is a great teacher!!!!

Liz