What's a good LOUD whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

What's a good LOUD whistle?

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Over the years, I have purchased several whistles. All, or most of them, are fairly soft sounding and such. Now I know louder whistles are out there, and I just need to find them [preferably in the range of...lets say...a soprano C]. Any suggestions???
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Your question reminds me of one reportedly put to a famous French chef: What is a good low-fat cheese?

His answer: "Madame, there isn't one." ;)

(Just kidding.)
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crysania »

I'm a big fan of Susato whistles, which have quite a bit more sound than a lot of whistles. I originally bought one because I attend a rather large session and I was lost in a mass of fiddlers and guitarists with my little Oak. Turned out I also loved the sound of them.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Susato is moderately loud.

If you want --really-- loud, call up Michael Cronnolly of M&E flutes and see if he'll make you a whistle.

I have a high D he made which is louder than a clarinet, very much louder than a Susato.

Do be aware his whistles aren't easy blowers, though--you'll need a well-supported column of air, and you'll need a lot of it.

--James
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're talking D whistles, I think the best combination of loud with good sound is Thin Weasel. If you want moderately priced, Water Weasel, in the inexpensive range, Susato. If you can bear a C whistle, the Walton's is a fantastic, pretty loud, C. Some other good loud whistles are Silkstones, but the sound donesn't quite have the character of Weasels.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sweetheart Profession D. It's the one I use for Morris Dancers. 'Nuff said.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dublingirl

Post by dublingirl »

The Desi Seery whistle is definitely loud too!
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Older Chieftain - unbeatable for volume!
Dunno about the new ones.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Aren't Copeland's loud?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

This is funny. I think most good whistles are too loud. It's hard to find a good not-so-loud whistle, but EASY to find a good loud whistle! In no particular order:

New Abell
Bleazey
Seery
Swayne
Overton
Copeland
Sweet
Thin Weasel
Some (not all) Water Weasels
Syn
Boisvert
O'Riordan
Silkstone

Have fun.
~JessieD
Les Cruttenden

LOUD?

Post by Les Cruttenden »

I would second Redwolf...the sweetheart pro is a loud whistle. Les.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I kind of hate Susato whistles but some like them so that's a matter of personal preference.

Syn's are wonderful and pretty loud. I have a set of Syn whistles that get more play time than any other whistles around here.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

JessieK wrote:This is funny. I think most good whistles are too loud. It's hard to find a good not-so-loud whistle, but EASY to find a good loud whistle! In no particular order:

New Abell
Bleazey
Seery
Swayne
Overton
Copeland
Sweet
Thin Weasel
Some (not all) Water Weasels
Syn
Boisvert
O'Riordan
Silkstone

Have fun.
My Bleazey is louder than my O'Riordan but not by very much. The Bleazey is fairly breathy and the O'Riordan is pretty pure sounding. My two Syns (aluminum and lancewood) are next, pretty close, but not quite as loud. The aluminum is fairly breathy and the lancewood is nicely pure sounding. Then comes my Overton, Weston Sapele and lastly (surprise!) my Hoover redwood.

The Boisvert I had probably falls in with the Overton/Syn group. Same for the Thin Weasel. The Lon Dubh I had for a while was quieter than the Overton, probably similar to the Weston.

It is easier to distinguish volume differences on low whistles, at least to me.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Sweetheart Pro model is loud on its own, but in a crowd it doesn't cut through the noise. It's perfect alone or in a small group.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

The Bleazey (high d) I had was not at all breathy.
~JessieD