New brilliant solo whistle CD by Brid O Donohue : review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bozemanhc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bozemanhc »

Mine arrived as well, along with a note stating that I was her very first customer. I have been listening to it quite a bit since then. I really appreciate her personal touch in including a note.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

bozemanhc wrote:Mine arrived as well, along with a note stating that I was her very first customer. I have been listening to it quite a bit since then. I really appreciate her personal touch in including a note.
Well that's the kind of human and personal touch you would commonly get in the West of Ireland. Come over and visit sometime!!

I have been listening to the clips excellent playing.

Good luck Bríd.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

feadogin wrote:What does the title mean? Is it something like "Well of Tradition?"
Yup. Or even "spring/fount of tradition" as, given Ireland's high water table, the stuff just comes gushing out in many places even without digging holes in the ground :lol: .

And don't mind that Kerryman, even Dubliners have been known to add a personal touch to how they conduct their affairs :D .
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I got my autographed version on Saturday. Yummy! Lovely stuff, and it is all the lovelier in that it brings back such vivid images of sitting in Brid's kitchen with Peter, playing tunes tunes in C, and listening to Brid. She was telling us about their new ceili band, I recall, and what sets they were doing. She played us a couple of tunes they were putting together (including the Cornstack, the Sean Ryan tune on the CD), musing about in what order of the tunes the transition sounded nicer. At one point, the man of the house wandered in and sat listening for a spell. Later, two of Brid's talented children joined for a set on flute and concertina. After that we packed up and Peter and I headed off to what was one of the last nights at Gleeson's.

The night before of course I had seen Brid play at Friel's. Here is a picture of her now, next to Michael Kelleher (who used to play with the Kilfenora). Brid is playing my Sindt C here, in a duet with Peter on pipes (off the picture on the right). Brid quite liked the Sindt C. :) Sean MacNamara, the founder of the Liverpool Ceili band is off the picture on the left.

/Bloomfield
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Peter, try the site in Firefox. The box (window with the close box in the upper-right corner) comes up blank. I'm using Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP Home.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Craig Stuntz wrote:Peter, try the site in Firefox. The box (window with the close box in the upper-right corner) comes up blank. I'm using Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP Home.
Same with me, but I noticed that I had popups blocked. If you enable it for that website, it will display.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

kkrell wrote:Same with me, but I noticed that I had popups blocked. If you enable it for that website, it will display.
Yes, same here (this is the default setting for Firefox). But normally a blocked popup means you see a message at the top of the browser indicating that the window has been suppressed and giving you the option to enable popups for the site, and I don't see that here. So I'm pretty confident that something strange is going on.

This page is apparently where the code came from, but the window works correctly in that case (even with popup suppression on). Perhaps having an example which works will help sort out the issue.

At any rate, the site looks very nice and I do plan on buying the CD when I have an extra $25 burning a hole in my pocket. :)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brid just told me she, with the family in tow, will be interviewed by Joan Hanrahan and play some music on lare FM next mondaynight 20-21.00 O Clock local time. www.clarefm.ie for webcasts

The website www.bridodonohue.com has a big photogallery added

Where I found this moment :roll:, playing for Brid's students.

Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I've been avoiding the :x Vindaloo music lately and listening to a lot of straightforward piping.

So with my taste buds rested, I listened again to Bríd O'Donohue's album a few days ago. What a sheer delight!

Without any disrespect to the more stellar performers, this album is the ideal introduction for anyone wanting to understand what Irish traditional tin whistle is all about.

This post is partly intended as a public-service bump for the edification of a couple of newbies who recently looked for advice.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar