New brilliant solo whistle CD by Brid O Donohue : review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Count me in as well. Thanks Peter; I definitely need inspiration from time to time.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

COOL!

Pure-drop whistle!

A rare tidbit these days!

Thanks Peter.

I'm in for one.
Montana

Post by Montana »

But we have to wait until July 1?! :(
That's still over a week and a half away. Sure, tease us like that.
I hope it's at least available starting July 1, Ireland time. That'd give me a 5 hour jump... :wink:
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Wish it's available through amazon.com..... :(
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks Peter, hope I remember to buy it. :)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Argh I wish I could have been at the Willie week festival. Peter, many teachers/musicians make their way to the Castskills, East Durham festival in New York right after the week, do you know if some will bring a batch of those CDs with them? I would love to buy one in person.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I will mention all suggestions to Brid when I see her. SteveJ suggested Jackie Daly may be able to take a few to the Catskills. I can't decide for him or Brid but I'll ask them.

I am listening to the CD at the moment (while scrubbing the flags in the kitchen), the striking thing about the Cd is the ease and the lack of pretence. She basically went to the studio a couple of times after work or after dropping the kids off somewhere and played a few tunes that came to mind in connection to people who influenced her while growing up. All without special practice and little planning. It's like sitting down in her kitchen and having her play a few tunes.

I remember one day in her kitchen some six weeks ago when she told her uncle had suggested she play Dunphy's hornpipe for the CD. She didn't know what to play with it so I suggested Scully Casey's hornpipe (which was played at the funeral of a fiddling friend the day before). Brid said she wouldn't be able to think of that one, so I played it for her. The next day she put it down in one go and lovely too.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Heh, those are both nice hornpipes.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Peter Laban wrote:I will mention all suggestions to Brid when I see her. SteveJ suggested Jackie Daly may be able to take a few to the Catskills. I can't decide for him or Brid but I'll ask them.
Mary Lou Philbin and Charlie Clarke (Ossian USA) will be at East Durham from Thursday through Sunday (14-17 July), and if there were some way to get a bunch of CDs to them by then, I'm sure they'd sell them at the festival. I'd buy two myself!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For those at the Willie week : The CD will be launched on sunday afternoon by broadcaster/musician Peter Browne.

Brid will be one of the musicians playing live on Peter Browne's programme on sunday night. Can be heard through the RTE website.

I passed on the comments/request regarding sales, especially getting an extra batch out to OssianUSA for the Catskills, things are getting a bit hectic pre-Willie week though. Website nears completion so you can buy straight off the woman heself.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Would that be The Late Session?

If so, it will be archived and can be heard over the Internet. (You can listen to it live over the Internet, as well.)

Here's the teaser from the RTE Radio 1 website:
Sunday, July 3:
The Late Session will broadcast live from Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, at the beginning of Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
Best wishes,
Jerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Would that be The Late Session?
It would.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

My roomate will be picking me up a copy in Milltown next week. I can't wait to get it.
No I'm not returning...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

MurphyStout wrote:My roomate will be picking me up a copy in Milltown next week. I can't wait to get it.
She's going at Willie week and not in Catskills? Her loss! :D

(Oh, my goodness! What in the world?, you flying to Hartford on saturday? will probably leave Montreal on the sunday)
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:My roomate will be picking me up a copy in Milltown next week. I can't wait to get it.
She's going at Willie week and not in Catskills? Her loss! :D

(Oh, my goodness! What in the world?, you flying to Hartford on saturday? will probably leave Montreal on the sunday)
No, the other roomate. The banjo player is going to take banjo classes in WW. Justine is stuck at home teaching summer school :P

Yes, I'm doing a red-eye flight into Hartford. I should arrive in ED at around 2:00pm on Sunday.
No I'm not returning...