What tunes are ye working on?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What tunes are ye working on?

Post by Wormdiet »

I've been trying to challenge myself a bit lately and learn some (of what I consider to be) difficult tunes. At the moment, I'm plugging away at "Gravel Walk." That second part with the octave jumps initially gave some trouble. The 4th part is unique in the way it uses the C natural, too.

Now it's your turn:
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What tunes are ye working on?

Post by Bloomfield »

Wormdiet wrote:The 4th part is unique in the way it uses the C natural, too.
Hardly unique. There are several tunes that have a c-natural as a rocking pedal, like the Chicago Reel, and some aren't even Irish, like La Bastraigne (sp?).

Recently I was buffing up on some contra dance stuff (like Galopede and Sasha).

Working now on The Haunted House (Vincent Broderick) and The Banshee's Wail, great jigs I am learning off Catherine McEvoy's first CD. Yummy stuff. (McGiveney's Fancy/Mrs. Galvin's off the same CD is next. And then The First Clan March of the O'Sullivans :) )
/Bloomfield
monkey587

Re: What tunes are ye working on?

Post by monkey587 »

Bloomfield wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:The 4th part is unique in the way it uses the C natural, too.
Hardly unique. There are several tunes that have a c-natural as a rocking pedal, like the Chicago Reel, and some aren't even Irish, like La Bastraigne (sp?).

Recently I was buffing up on some contra dance stuff (like Galopede and Sasha).

Working now on The Haunted House (Vincent Broderick) and The Banshee's Wail, great jigs I am learning off Catherine McEvoy's first CD. Yummy stuff. (McGiveney's Fancy/Mrs. Galvin's off the same CD is next. And then The First Clan March of the O'Sullivans :) )
McGivney's Fancy's one of my favorites. There's are great versions of it on Randal Bays & Roger Landes's "House to House" CD and Kelly/Obrien/Sproule's CD

I love Banshee's Wail, too. I used to play it on guitar in Gm, and then when I found someone else who knew it (on D whistle), he played it in Dm, so I started playing it in Em, until I ran into someone else who knew it (on D flute) and he played it in Am............
William Bajzek
slowair

Post by slowair »

Right now I'm working on The Green Fields of France. Lovely piece, especially when someone has a good voice. Voice with whistle accompaniment is such fun.

Then it's going to be Off to California.

Just got done learning Julia Delaney. Somehow that tune just was in me. I think it's my Irish spirit guide. He must've been a muscian.

Mike
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I'm spending most of my time on the new flute so the tunes are very simple. I have a new one that I'm calling "Pick me a daisy." It goes up and down on the lower octave so I can work on intonation, and breath control before moving up to the second octave.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I've been working on Guns of the Magnificant Seven, Foxhunter, Caribou and still trying to get Jolly Tinker. I really like Gravel Walks, Worm; good luck with that. It's taken me about 2 years to bring it up to session speed - and I still like someone else to 'lead' it. For some reason I keep on wanting to play the second part (all 8 measures) twice.

Erik
barstool

Post by barstool »

hornpipes!

The Steamboat Hornpipe.
The Derry Hornpipe.
Harvest Home.

I have a love for the "happiness" in hornpipes :D

~B
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

ErikT wrote:I've been working on Guns of the Magnificant Seven, Foxhunter, Caribou and still trying to get Jolly Tinker. I really like Gravel Walks, Worm; good luck with that. It's taken me about 2 years to bring it up to session speed - and I still like someone else to 'lead' it. For some reason I keep on wanting to play the second part (all 8 measures) twice.

Erik
Ooh, Guns is one of my favorites. You can make either friends or enemies for life by playing that at a session, depending on whether anyone else knows it or not...
William Bajzek
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I just acquired Eel in the Sink. For some reason that tune was hard for me when I first tried it a
few months ago. This week, it was relatively easy to memorize. That's a nice ego boost, I suppose.
Perhaps I just needed to let it marinate.

Now I need to start writing down the names of tunes I don't know in session so I can learn them later...
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Let's see: I've been polishing up "Clogger's Quilt", "Kitty's Wedding" (the hornpipe), "Percy on the Table", and "O'Rourke's". I also recently learned "Planxty Hewlett" for my sister's wedding (three weeks ago), and while I haven't been playing it on whistle, I've been working on learning it on one-row button accordion. (Also practicing several Newfoundland singles on the one-row.)

I'm working (albeit pretty lazily) on learning "The Wild Irishman" and "Roaring Mary". And I intend to (any day now) tackle "Woman of the House", "Anlon McKinney", "Mind the Dresser", "The New Road", and "The Duke of Leinster".
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

fearfaoin wrote:Perhaps I just needed to let it marinate.
That's the way that it works for me. I can't get stressed out about it. I just have to wait a couple months as I continue to practice the tune. For me, it's like a conveyer belt - a long one. As one new tune is put on at the beginning of the belt another completed one is coming off the far end.

Monkey: ;) Shhh. Don't tell.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

On the pipes I'm working on:
Colonel Fraiser(Argh! :x :devil: :twisted: ) and What, No Watermelon?(by Kirk Lynch).
Haven't been playing them on the whistle though. Nor flute. I should learn another whistle tune soon.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Do you have the ABC's for "What, no Watermelon?"
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Unfortunatly no, I don't. I'm learning it from the Augusta 20 Years of Irish Music CD thingie. I'm not even quite sure of all the notes in the A part yet, or I'd write it out for you.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I'm practicing network device commands, Exchange server, and..... :-?

OH! Tunes..... :roll:

Where are my priorities. I promised I would leard that un-named tune from Wanderer's last review. :)

I'll be puttin' down the books and pickin' up the whistle tonight. Or maybe I can do it while I apply security patches to half a dozen production servers. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.