What tunes are ye working on?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

fearfaoin wrote:
boomerang wrote:... the athol highlanders
Man, I don't know what it is about the arpeggios in the B part of Athol Highlanders, but I just
can't seem to keep up with them. It sounds really muddy (especially the Adf part). That song is
my nemesis!
the Athol highlanders is usually played in the key of A which is a real bear, you are right about those arpeggios, but i cheated, and transposed the whole tune into the key of D, you will be amazed how much easier it is
X: 1
T: Athol Highlanders Jig
M: 6/8
R: jig
K: D
F/G/|A3 AFD| AFD EFG| A3 AFD| EFG FED|
A3 AFD| AFD EFG| AAA BAG| FGE D2:|
|:\
D| DFA DFA| EGB EGB| DFA DFA| EFG FED|
DFA DFA| EGB EGB| AAA BAG| FGE D2:|
d3A AGF| d3A AGF| d3A AGF| EFG FED|
d3A AGF| d3A ABc| d3 AAB| GFGE D2 :|
A| FDF FDF| GEG GEG| FDF FDF| EEE EEE|
FDF FDF| GEG GAG| AAA ABG|1 FGE D2:|2\
ABc .d z|] "go out on"x D4|]

let me know what you think, substitude the triples for roll if you choose, thats what i do
Regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

No surprise there -- the D fingerings must be much closer to the way it would have originally have been played on Highland bagpipes. (And if you play it that way on an A whistle, it will come out in the normal key signature.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
bjs

Post by bjs »

thought I'd try The Gravel Walk but how do I deal with those 5 second octave a's in a row? The middle three being a triple.
Brian
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

colomon wrote:No surprise there -- the D fingerings must be much closer to the way it would have originally have been played on Highland bagpipes. (And if you play it that way on an A whistle, it will come out in the normal key signature.)
Every time this tune comes up in a session a little voice in my head says "Play this! You know it!" so I start playing along. I'm fine for a few measures and then I start using GHB fingerings (IE transposing the whole thing down to D), and often cause a train wreck. For some reason other tunes I first learned on GHB don't cause this.

So I wimped out and ordered a low A flute. :D
thought I'd try The Gravel Walk but how do I deal with those 5 second octave a's in a row? The middle three being a triple.
Brian
I've been making fair progress on it so far - the only part that's still sticky is the 4th part. For the second part, I've found tonguing to articulate the octave jumps is the way to go. After the second part comes, it's not insurmountable. Go for it!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
DRC

Post by DRC »

Right now, we're concentrating more on songs.

Siuil A Run
Last Rose of Summer (Walking in the Air)
A Winter's Night in Dublin (original; music & lyrics by DC)
Isle of Innisfree
Culloden's Harvest
Mary L McKay (our own version)

DC
SlipJig Celtic Band
kenny

My latest tune

Post by kenny »

A reel called "Mother Hughes's Goose", from flute-player Gary Walsh's CD.

ADDE F2 FG | Ad=cA BGAG | FDDE F2 FG |1 Ad=cA G2 AG :|2 Ad=cA G4 |
Add=c AGFG | Adde f3 a | ge e2 fded | cABc d2 cd |
eaag efed | cAdc AG G2 | EFGE A2 AG | EFGE FD D2 |
e2 ed cA A2 | f2 fa ge e2 | fgaf gfed | cded cA A2 |
e2 ed cA A2 | f2 fa ge e2 | fgaf gfed | cAGE D4 |
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Brother Gildas' Jig, Legacy Jig, Tommy People's Jig, Musical Priest.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I haven't learned a new tune in months. I play the same ones over and over. :oops:

I've never been one of those people who can learn a new tune every other day, though. For whatever reason, it takes me a while to fully "get" a them. It took me a few weeks to learn Drowsy Maggie, but that was a couple years ago. :P
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Heck I can't play Drowsy Maggie right after years. It's a mental/physical block or something.

I absolutely love Gravel Walk. A great tune.

I'm still wading through the tunes on the No Excuses Celtic cd I got for Christmas. :oops: I've got Out on the Ocean up to speed and can play along with the DVD session. Still working on The Rambling Pitchfork and Pay the Reckoning. I've gotten the two slip jigs on there- A Fig for a Kiss and Willie Clancy's down pretty well, although a few slip ups at speed. The two Scottish tunes on this tutor- The Laird of Drumblair and St. Kilda Wedding are really rough at present and are going to take a while.

I just love thisCD/ DVD. It's great for those of us out in the areas where there are NO sessions. It gives a great chance to learn the tunes slower, then play along with the session or even omit different instruments and play their parts along with the rest of the group. Lots of fun. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

I have recently worked out a tune by saxophonist Joshua Redmond called "Our Minuet". Basically the melody and bridge. It is a beautiful tune that to me sounds a bit Celtic. :)
"Imagination without education is like a bird without feet"
"Feet entangle birds, words...men"
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

...and now for something completely different...John Philip Sousa's Liberty Bell March
walker

Post by walker »

Gravel Walks and My Funny Valentine (be Ben Webster on whistle-harder to imagine with high whistles than low-the melody is easy, not as many options for improvisation. Guess I've got to work on half-holing).

Take Care,
Walker
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

Just this morning I found a missing part of "American Patrol", just in time for the 4th. I need a few more marches and I'll be set. :)
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

cowtime wrote:Heck I can't play Drowsy Maggie right after years. It's a mental/physical block or something.
Lol! I have the same thing with fig for a kis. It's one of the first tunes I "learned", but I still screw it up.
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

Still need to hone my version of "American Patrol" based on Glen Miller's arrangement but now have turned my attention to a tune called "Jessica" by Dickey Betts and recorded by the Allman Brothers Band. It's a nice instrumental that to me sounds a bit Irish or Celtic. I don't know...a lot of what I play seems to sound that way. Maybe it's the fact that I am playing on a whistle...or maybe it's the Irish Spring soap I've been showering with. :lol: