Electronic Tuner for Pennywhistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kingfisher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kingfisher »

Another vote for the Korg CA-30. I never imagined that I would be with the popular choice , on this one. The two things that make it "work" for me is it's reliability and portability. I just stick it in my shirt pocket and drag it out whenever I feel the need. I'ts there when I need it !!

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Emrys »

Thanks folks for the advice. I've been resisting buying a tuner for 35 years. (I'm a professional piano tuner, trained to tune by ear.) But when it comes to getting those first notes right on the whistle, yeaowww! By the way, I just got two gorgeous whistles today from Mike Burke -- a low A and low G!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

talimirr743 wrote:I agree with Wanderer, I use a Korg and its always very accurate.
Was in the market for a tuner, found this thread, and ordered the Korg. Amazon.com is now selling assorted musical instrument items in association with certain merchants. Anyway, I ordered it through amazon.com and it was $15.

Dale
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

DaleWisely wrote:
talimirr743 wrote:I agree with Wanderer, I use a Korg and its always very accurate.
Was in the market for a tuner, found this thread, and ordered the Korg. Amazon.com is now selling assorted musical instrument items in association with certain merchants. Anyway, I ordered it through amazon.com and it was $15.

Dale
Cool..just be careful about some merchants through Amazon. I think Lark in the Morning has a straight $10.00 shipping fee, so a $15.00 tuner becomes $25.00, no cheaper than anywhere else.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Korg CA20

Adrian
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Yup - Korg CA-30 it is. I use mine for bagpipes, whistles and trumpet. It covers the whole range that I need. Find a local music store and save on shipping. They really are popular and most stores I know of stock them.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Garage sale strobotuner multi. Anything else just gives you a rough estimate.
Then again, most tuners don't weigh 23lbs.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I use a Seiko St-747 no problems with it.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
missy

Post by missy »

I've used the Korg and the Seiko with no problems (we used them for our dulcimers, too). I, personally like the Seiko better - it seems to be a little more "stabile", and I like the 9V instead of the AAA batteries (longer life). It also picks up my bass dulcimer notes better - but that's not a problem for playing whistles.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Korg used to make a beast of a machine - about the size of a small hardcover book - that also had a metronome. It was an analog display, and it was the only tuner that could read a piccolo, dulcimer, or contrabass clarinet with equal ease. If you see one at a garage sale, get it. I also find that an analog needle display is easier than little winkie LCD blobs.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dear folks:

for how nit-picky i can be to get my guitar in tune with a tuner, when it comes to a pennywhistle, i prefer to adjust the pitch to what sounds best with the other instruments that i'm playing with. the other musician's don't have the capability and it's a whole lot quicker for me to adjust than for them to adjust. there is quite a variance of tone by how a note is blown (as one of you mentioned) so it's not so much getting the pennywhistle in tune as it is getting myself in tune and there isn't a tuning slide on me, at least anywhere i've looked.

regis
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I just picked up one of these little Korg tuners. As a beginner, I find that it is helping me understand the nature of my whistles and how hard I need to blow to get them in tune.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I love my Korg. The only gripe I have is with the documentation...if I'd had to rely on that to use it, I'd still be struggling with it. Fortunately, once you start using it, it's pretty intuitive. The instructions make it sound a lot more complicated than it is!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

fluti31415 wrote:Korg -- I have had mine for about 15 years (they were quite expensive back then), and it has served me well. Even after being thrown against the wall a few times. :x
I had my first Korg for many years and it never failed. Till I left in my shirt pocket, and it went through the washing machine and dryer. It came out clean, and looked new again. But it did not know what it was doing.
I bought a new Korg 30 to take its place.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I just got a Korg metronome/tuner combo for Christmas. Love it.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony