Susatos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Susato whistles:

love them
13%
hate them
14%
sort of love them
37%
sort of hate them
20%
other answer (explain)
15%

Total votes: 99

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Susatos

Post by Jack »

Vote!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It's Vote...please!

I only had two Susatos, C and a D, didn't like either of them. I found that they broke in the second octave and no matter how I tried to control my breath, they just wouldn't do it.

Never bought another one.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Susatos are one of those subjects that come up again from time to time on the boards.

I'd like to share a true story:

There is a very talented whistler (and fellow Chiffer) who once asked me to try one of my Susatos in a session. They don't get much session play; I usually have one or two Burkes with me and my flute and that's about it.

She played through a tune on it, put it down with a somewhat surprised look on her face, looked at me, and said "But that sounds nice....!"

I think that nicely summaries my feelings on Susato whistles and their reputation on the boards.

--James
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I think Susatos have their keys and their applications where they're quite good. I don't own any now (have in the past), but I don't hate them. (I do find them a bit loud, and I don't like the characteristic hrrrrring.) Interestingly, they make great quiet practice whistles...put some silly putty across the ramp and play with it until you find the desired tone and volume (both of which are quite variable). I don't find this trick to be as effective with other whistles.
Last edited by tin tin on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I like them very much after I tweak them. They are great, but have three things wrong with them before I tweak them: They are poorly balanced (top is much louder than the bottom), they don't have a nice sound, and they are too loud overall.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I don't like the sound of them and when I play them, I find it hard to adjust the amount of air required for the second octave (I've played a few sop D). I grew up playing Generation whistles, so I'm probably just too used to them. I've friends who learned on Susatos and who wouldn't touch a Generation. It's all down to what you're used to.
PJ
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I voted "other", 'cause I've never played (or even heard someone else play) a Susato. I live a sheltered life. :roll:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

I also find the thumb rest to be...a little bit strange on high whistles. I don't love them but I just kinda have always wondered what they're for. I can understand their place on a lower heavier whistle, but not the higher keys.
barstool

Post by barstool »

sorta love them .... I guess that means I like them.

I find that when I got to irish music festivals that I see and hear more susato's then any other whistles. They sound great outside when played with other instruments, by players much better then me, not too load or not too quiet.

I like mine. My wife doesn't she says they are too load for indoor playing. I agree with this assessment.

~B
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Tone and balance of the D, Eflat is totally awful. C and especially B are quite bearable though (still prefer my Sindt B by a mile, and the Generation C) .
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Bloomfield wrote:I like them very much after I tweak them. They are great, but have three things wrong with them before I tweak them: They are poorly balanced (top is much louder than the bottom), they don't have a nice sound, and they are too loud overall.
I take it, then, that you tweak them by melting them down and starting over from scratch?

;-)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The damn things are consistent as hell from the factory, and they're in tune.

I hate playing anything above the second octave g because they're so unbalanced and loud.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

I love my Davy Spillane Improved Susato!
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I voted that I loved Susatos, though if there was a category for love them mostly I would have chosen that. 'Sort of love them' didn't quite match what I think about them.

For my neighbors' sake I wish I hadn't started my first forays into the world of whistling with a Susato. They are loud and my many mistakes (sqwuaks, screeches, etc.) could easily have been audible and annoying. All in all, I find them very responsive, though rather unforgiving if a mistake is made in air volume/breath pressure.

That said, however, I really like my Susatos. There may be some (say a Clarkes Original) that I like better among the less expensive whistles, but these are still good. I have Eb,D,C, Bb and a low A. I probably like the Low A and the Bb most. The Eb is also fun and bright.

Susatos do have a unique sound that (apparently) folks either like or not. I like it.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I like them very much after I tweak them.
Bloomfield (or others), I'd be interested to know what you do to tweak Susatos. Have you written it up somewhere?