mouthpiece and tone of Sweetheart professional whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

I have a dymondwood Pro D. It is a superb instrument. Fit and finish is first rate; it is in tune and the tone is beautiful and balanced. The instructions that come with the whistle clearly state that it should be dissembled when not in use. Hardly a big deal. Like any wind instrument with a cork joint, this is necessary to keep the cork from taking a set. I highly recommend them.

I too have heard that the blackwood model sounds the same as the dymondwood.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

[oops :oops:
Last edited by cavefish on Fri May 25, 2007 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Cavefish,

Do you realize that you are replying to a 2 year old posting? :lol:

You really have to watch it when people resurrect these old posts. I have caught myself replying to very old ones too.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

swizzlestick wrote:Cavefish,

Do you realize that you are replying to a 2 year old posting? :lol:

You really have to watch it when people resurrect these old posts. I have caught myself replying to very old ones too.
:oops: actually no, i was looking into a blackwood sweetheart-and searched - i guess i only saw the may 17---------and i guess all those days of, drugs and boxing just kicked back in------------next time PM ME, so i dont look like such a bonehead :D
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I play the laminate (now using Permali instead of Dymondwood) and the blackwood whistles as they come 'off the press', and have to say that I don't feel or hear any great difference in the sound. I've had tremendous sounding instruments in both materials, and though I have a preference for blackwood because of the looks, I don't think the playability is much different.

If there is something particular you want in a whistle, drop a note to Ralph and he'll pick a specific whistle with that in mind (extremely strong low, easy to reach high, etc). The average whistle tries to be a happy balance.

Sincerely,
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

No, cavefish, I don't think you are a bonehead. Or maybe I am one too. :)

This has happened to me before -- and besides, you got Tyg to give us some updated information about Sweetheart whistles.

Tyg, can you give us some details about the Permali material? You say it has the same sound (a good thing). Does it have any advantages over the old Dymondwood? Easier to work or more durable? Different appearance?

Just curious. I'm not giving up my Dymondwood whistle!
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Tyghress wrote:I play the laminate (now using Permali instead of Dymondwood) and the blackwood whistles as they come 'off the press', and have to say that I don't feel or hear any great difference in the sound. I've had tremendous sounding instruments in both materials, and though I have a preference for blackwood because of the looks, I don't think the playability is much different.

If there is something particular you want in a whistle, drop a note to Ralph and he'll pick a specific whistle with that in mind (extremely strong low, easy to reach high, etc). The average whistle tries to be a happy balance.

Sincerely,
Tyg
so its not dymondwood anymore -its something else-i am lost :boggle: -did ralph switch to another laminate
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Tyghress wrote:I play the laminate (now using Permali instead of Dymondwood) and the blackwood whistles as they come 'off the press', and have to say that I don't feel or hear any great difference in the sound. I've had tremendous sounding instruments in both materials, and though I have a preference for blackwood because of the looks, I don't think the playability is much different.

Sincerely,
Tyg
do you work for Ralph
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Emrys wrote:I owned a Blackwood Sweet professional whistle (a D) and it was exceedingly intense, easily got shrill. It was also very poorly made and fell apart within a few months. I returned it to have the block refitted (and paid for that service), and it simply fell apart again a few weeks later, although now it was living in an entirely different environment. I was not dealing with Ralph Sweet but with the guy who sold it to me. Anyway, I don't recommend these instruments.
If you didn't deal with the actual maker, it is not fair to condemn the brand based on what someone you bought it from did or did not do right. The Sweet name is well liked and its reputation well-earned. I hope you will reassess based on experience with them instead of a third-party. You will likely be quite pleased.

EDIT - hmm... looks like I got caught in that time-warp too... :lol:

Well, then or now, I still say the same. Deal with the maker and you are likely to get better results.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

swizzlestick wrote:No, cavefish, I don't think you are a bonehead. Or maybe I am one too. :)

This has happened to me before -- and besides, you got Tyg to give us some updated information about Sweetheart whistles.

Tyg, can you give us some details about the Permali material? You say it has the same sound (a good thing). Does it have any advantages over the old Dymondwood? Easier to work or more durable? Different appearance?

Ya think that's bad? On more than one occasion, I've unwittingly replied to an old thread only to find out later that I'd ALREADY replied to it. Sheesh...

The Sweets had some problems with Dymondwood cracking, so they switched to the Permali and say that the problem is solved. Walt sent me a piece and I'll be experimenting with it when I start my next batch of whistles. The only drawback for me is that it only seems to come in a normal wood color, not the bright colors that the Dymondwood comes in.

I may have done it earlier on this thread (too lazy to look) but I'd like to chime in and give my hearty thumbs up to everything that the Sweets make. I have a Resonance Low D in Dymondwood and love the heck out of it. Sold my Copeland Low D to buy it, if that tells you anything. I had one of their Irish flutes which was very nice (sold that when I got my Glenn Schultz flute) and also had one of their Baroque flutes which was excellent and MUCH less expensive than anything else out there. Great people and great instruments at more-than-fair prices.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think with Sweet flute/whistles the real step up isn't
to blackwood but to rosewood, which is usually available.
I think the whistle in rosewood sounds better (more
mellow, less shrill, more 'sweet') than it does in
composite.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

brewerpaul wrote:
swizzlestick wrote:No, cavefish, I don't think you are a bonehead. Or maybe I am one too. :)

Ya think that's bad? On more than one occasion, I've unwittingly replied to an old thread only to find out later that I'd ALREADY replied to it. Sheesh...

The Sweets had some problems with Dymondwood cracking, so they switched to the Permali and say that the problem is solved. Walt sent me a piece and I'll be experimenting with it when I start my next batch of whistles. The only drawback for me is that it only seems to come in a normal wood color, not the bright colors that the Dymondwood comes in.

I may have done it earlier on this thread (too lazy to look) but I'd like to chime in and give my hearty thumbs up to everything that the Sweets make. I have a Resonance Low D in Dymondwood and love the heck out of it. Sold my Copeland Low D to buy it, if that tells you anything. I had one of their Irish flutes which was very nice (sold that when I got my Glenn Schultz flute) and also had one of their Baroque flutes which was excellent and MUCH less expensive than anything else out there. Great people and great instruments at more-than-fair prices.
i sold my overton low D for the sweetheart pro --i love Ralphs products -----this Gentleman will stand by anything he makes -----------i an a firm believer in his products----------like anything ,sometimes things slip through and does not proove to be a winner -it happens in any mass producing buisness-----------but ralph will stand by his stuff-----------------YES do let us know how the permali turns out I would like a natural wood look whistle :D
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

jim stone wrote:I think with Sweet flute/whistles the real step up isn't
to blackwood but to rosewood, which is usually available.
I think the whistle in rosewood sounds better (more
mellow, less shrill, more 'sweet') than it does in
composite.
Yes i too would like a rosewood whistle , as a matter of fact , i had talked tp Ralph the other day -about it -he said it was to much trouble with regular wood and right now his buisness is booming ,his work load to experiment with other woods at the moment is at a standstill ------------hopefully he still make some more -maybe applewood ,-------------------- Pearwood is a sturdy lovely wood, that wood be a winner
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Yes, I work for Sweetheart Flute Co as shipping/office worker.

Dymondwood was a great product, and for the first year and a half or so they had no problems with it, then we started having problems with some batches that were tracked back to the laminate manufacturing. An alternate laminate product called Permali is now being used. It is manufactured under quite rigid specifications.

Visually, Permali is nearly indistiguishable to me from Dymondwood, and very similar to rosewood. Unfortunately rosewood requires a lot more work than either a laminate or blackwood to make the two sections match in color. I don't think Walt and Ralph will be doing the Pro in rosewood, at least not for awhile.

When I ship the whistles, I try each one, and make sure it goes from D up to high B easily, solid low note, and not 'blow your brains out to ge the high note'. I play a half a tune or so to make sure its even in volume and doesn't have a sound that is unpleasant to me on any note. Sometimes I run across a whistle that is really REALLY good, and have to force myself to put the whistle down, pack it and SHIP it. But each whistle is different, and has its own characteristics.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Tyghress wrote:Yes, I work for Sweetheart Flute Co as shipping/office worker.

Dymondwood was a great product, and for the first year and a half or so they had no problems with it, then we started having problems with some batches that were tracked back to the laminate manufacturing. An alternate laminate product called Permali is now being used. It is manufactured under quite rigid specifications.

Visually, Permali is nearly indistiguishable to me from Dymondwood, and very similar to rosewood. Unfortunately rosewood requires a lot more work than either a laminate or blackwood to make the two sections match in color. I don't think Walt and Ralph will be doing the Pro in rosewood, at least not for awhile.

When I ship the whistles, I try each one, and make sure it goes from D up to high B easily, solid low note, and not 'blow your brains out to ge the high note'. I play a half a tune or so to make sure its even in volume and doesn't have a sound that is unpleasant to me on any note. Sometimes I run across a whistle that is really REALLY good, and have to force myself to put the whistle down, pack it and SHIP it. But each whistle is different, and has its own characteristics.

Tyg
wonderfull-- :D whats the time frame on the permali -----------is,nt that used for electrical insulators--- :D ----its sturdy enough but does have a strong smell when cut-----