Best Low D Whistle???????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
corrcullen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by corrcullen »

Thanks a mil guys, all the advice is much appreciated...
Its looking like I will prob go for the Overton, it seems to be the safest bet!...
corrcullen

Post by corrcullen »

First: the Lonesome Boatman. Finbar Furey used to play a Pakistani Bamboo whistle but met Bernard Overton at about the time it was falling apart—the whistle not the boatman. Bernard reinvented the low whistle and the rest is history. Do you have a date for the original recording of that track? It would either be the bamboo whistle or, as Amar suggested, an early Overton I would think.

I'm interested in finding out which whistle Finbar played The Lonesome Boatman on the album called 'Alcoholidays' as it sounds really well...
Can anybody verify for sure that it was actually the Low D he used?????
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

corrcullen wrote:First: the Lonesome Boatman. Finbar Furey used to play a Pakistani Bamboo whistle but met Bernard Overton at about the time it was falling apart—the whistle not the boatman. Bernard reinvented the low whistle and the rest is history. Do you have a date for the original recording of that track? It would either be the bamboo whistle or, as Amar suggested, an early Overton I would think.

I'm interested in finding out which whistle Finbar played The Lonesome Boatman on the album called 'Alcoholidays' as it sounds really well...
Can anybody verify for sure that it was actually the Low D he used?????
I simply don't know. Here's a suggestion. Why not PM Colin Goldie? Since he knows Bernard Overton better than anyone else here, he's your best bet. The quickest way to get onto him might be to PM his wife, Brigitte. (That's her user name here by the way.)
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I just listened to the Bonesome Loatman; I have it on the Best of Finbar & Eddie Furey and on I Live Not Where I Live. Sounds to me like the Indian bamboo whiste, which I read somewhere was an Ab or something of that sort. It doesn't sound like a low D and doesn't have the Overton hum to my ear. But it is almost impossible to tell on a commercial recording since you don't know what they did to it. And your recording may be a later, different one.

Finbar has a webpage I think. I'd email him. Let us know if you do find out.
/Bloomfield
corrcullen

Post by corrcullen »

Just found out that it was played on a Low G Overton whistle...
corrcullen

Post by corrcullen »

A lot of whistles were mentioned in this topic and the overton sounds like the most popular whistle..
Has anyone heard of or owns an Ian Lambe whistle.
Irish made in county Clare..
Certainly very attractive looking, has anybody any opinion on them or know what they are like?

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mirian/ilambe/
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I just ordered a Copeland from Song of the Sea. Ann said they still have one left.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Cillian O Briain low whistles are D best out there...Not sure if he's still making them though. He's up to his eyeballs with orders for uilleann pipes, apparently...

Erm, I've <ahem> got a very nice Alba low D for sale at the moment...Nudge, nudge.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Quite some time ago I posted a comparative review of the Lambe and O'Briain Low D whistles for Whistle and Drum. That review was a bit too detailed probably, so I'll sum up. The Lambe, while visually striking, did not at all impress me as to either tone or playability. The O'Briain, equally stunning though in a more Spartan way in appearance, has a really nice tone and I kept that one for myself (paid for).

The O'Briain has a deep reedy low end; it is a bit reedier than but much like the Burke Viper in tonal qualities, but for me a bit more difficult to play at speed. I like the sound of the O'Briain about as much as my Viper and Copeland and O'Riordan, but it is the most difficult for me to handle.

And yes, I'd love to round out my collection with an Overton tuneable low D.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
talasiga

Re: Best Low D Whistle???????

Post by talasiga »

corrcullen wrote:Hi
Am considering buying a low D whistle...Just wondering what is the best one on the market regardless of price?
If I were wanting a low D whistle, I would get me one from Erle Bartlett of Syn Whistles. I have seen and heard some of his brass beauties recently, both big tone hole and small tone hole varieties. I have heard and seen a lot but not better than this. However I am not sure whether they are tunable. They have black delrin mouthpiece.

Good Luck! :)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

My Chieftain Gold Low D up for sale. Finishes today!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

finbar used a overton they were buddies ----- the best on the market are overtons and copelands proven winners
Last edited by cavefish on Wed May 25, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

cavefish wrote:the best on the market are overtons and copelands proven winners, the rest suck, all are copies in some form or way from these two
B--dare I say--S! You obviously haven't tried a Bleazey mopane low D.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

bleasy was known for inconsistancies
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Word of the day:

hy·per·bo·le
Function: noun
: extravagant exaggeration used to emphasize a point <"the best on the market are overtons and copelands proven winners, the rest suck" is an example of hyperbole>

Question of the day:
What do you call hyperbole re: an eminently arguable point? :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.