Silkstone Ace

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Silkstone Ace

Post by alespa »

Anyone have any experience with this whistle. It looks great and I'm just curious how owners feel about it. I don't hear much about these, and it seems like I should . . . I have the pvc high C in British Racing Green, which is a very smooth silky sounding C whistle, that I like very much.

http://www.silkstone-whistles.com/
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Looks great,but it sure is expensive :boggle:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

yes it is.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Paul Hayward, the maker, is a very nice guy. I think his whistles are overpriced, but they're also very good. The D whistle i reach for most of the time is my silkstone alloy (aluminum), which i bought from Wanderer on eBay on a lark. I was sure i was going to be overbid, but ended up getting it for a great price. I even told Wanderer he didn't have to go on with the sale, but he sold it to me anyway.

I guess i should post my 3 D whistles on that other thread:
  • Silkstone alloy
  • Humprey widebore in Werkmeister III tuning
  • Wooden Syn ironwood prototype
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
alespa

Post by alespa »

great choices there Glauber :)
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Matt:

Very nice looking whistle, but the price...OUCH. he does make some beautiful instruments.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Caru

Post by Caru »

I have a D+ Ace, and it's definitely nice. The whistle is good-looking, finished well, and feels very solid. It's a bit louder than his other models, and has a nice full tone, clear rather than breathy. It takes slightly more push to play than the others, but not any more air volume. It's, well, not buzzier, but maybe more vibrant-sounding than most -- you can feel it in your fingertips. It plays smoothly, and is great on the high notes.

That said, I still usually prefer my Silkstone alloy more than the regular PVC or Ace. The Ace sounds at least as good, but I don't like the feel of the mouthpiece quite as much. I find that it dries my mouth out after I've been playing a while, almost like one with a wood fipple plug does. I mostly use it for tunes that have lots of notes in the top of the second octave or a note or two into the third, since it sounds better than most whistles way up there. It's also great for songs with long phrases -- I find I don't have to take breaths as often as usual when using it.

So, in summary -- great whistle, but not necessarily that much greater than the maker's less expensive models, except in a few specific situations