Whistle noobie

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

BoneQuint wrote:
markbell wrote:If you can make a tune come out of it, you are a musician.
If you like the tune coming out of it, you are a good musician.
If others like the tune coming out of it, you are an advanced musician.
What if others like it and you don't?
Then you're an improving advanced musician. ;)
markbell
antispam: No

Post by markbell »

BoneQuint wrote:
markbell wrote:If you can make a tune come out of it, you are a musician.
If you like the tune coming out of it, you are a good musician.
If others like the tune coming out of it, you are an advanced musician.
What if others like it and you don't?
Then I just figure I'm smarter than they are, but I accept the compliment graciously. Noblesse oblige, you know...
sibilo ergo sum
Ann

Post by Ann »

Wow, thanks for all your feed back. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I told my mom that I was taking up the Pennywhistle and she and she came back with a story about how no one in our family has any musical talent. Now I realize why I was dumb enough not to pursue something I always wanted to try. Who needs talent, its all in fun anyway. So I think I'll keep spending my time endllessly getting used to the notes, rolls, strikes, etc. And to know that people can become listenable at ages well past mine will inspire me to keep going, thanks for that. I aspire to play with other people someday.

The great thing about learning something new is that it opens your mind to things you wouldn't have noticed in the world around. Listening to my 4 yr old niece beg her mom, she'll put a perfect strike on some of the notes in her speech.

I have another question I wanted to ask the forum about. Who is making Irish music these days? I was reading an article about the Ireland and the author said that Irish youth aren't interested in traditional music anymore. They want modern rock. It makes me wonder, is it us Americans who want to be in touch with our roots who will keep it alive? Or is there still a strong interest in Ireland and Scotland? I have a friend in Scotland who I chat with occassionally, he absolutely won't listen to traditional music.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Ann, I was under the impression that there has been an increased interest in traditional music in Scotland and Ireland. I think there are schools and activities for children which are encouraging them to keep some ties with their heritage, etc. I'm not up on the great players. I think you should probably post this question as the subject of a new thread. It will catch the eye of people who know more about the current top players.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

markbell wrote:Some whistles, possibly yours, are just unpleasant to play. Everyone has a favorite, and you might want to get a couple of different inexpensive D whistles to see if there is one with a sound you like better.
Personally, when in doubt, it is my policy to blame the whistle. I have quite a few now, and some are very easy to play, some are a bit more difficult, and some are impossible. Even though I've only been playing for 15 months (I was 61 when I started), I think I've played enough to make that judgement.

While you can take a chance on buying a variety of inexpensive whistles in hopes of finding one that you can handle, I'd advise spending $35-$55 and getting one that you can be sure won't fight back. Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles, Hoovers, and Syns are not super expensive, but they're all pretty easy to play, and if you do happen on one that has a problem, the maker/tweaker will correct it--something you probably won't find with mass-produced factory whistles.

Learning to control a difficult whistle may develop character, but if your character is already pretty far along and you prefer to just enjoy playing, there's no point in putting up with a bad one.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Ann wrote:
The great thing about learning something new is that it opens your mind to things you wouldn't have noticed in the world around. . .

the author said that Irish youth aren't interested in traditional music anymore.
Yea, two years ago my original dream was to be able to play whistle for me, then it became to be able to play a little for others. Now its to play whistle really well and to pick up tunes by ear. Every now and then thoughts involving pipes (GASP) creep in. I also find myself trecking off to places for weekends of music, fun, and companionship that I previously wasn't aware existed.

Still seems to be a lot of young Celts from that side of the pond showing up in bands, competitions, and on these boards.
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

Cynth wrote:Ann, I was under the impression that there has been an increased interest in traditional music in Scotland and Ireland. I think there are schools and activities for children which are encouraging them to keep some ties with their heritage, etc. I'm not up on the great players. I think you should probably post this question as the subject of a new thread. It will catch the eye of people who know more about the current top players.
Hi, just dropping in, there was a successful series of concerts this year in Glasgow, Manchester, Dublin and other venues covered by the BBC under the name Celtic Connections. It attracted musicians from both sides of the pond as well as some French groups.

D
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Ann wrote: I have another question I wanted to ask the forum about. Who is making Irish music these days? I was reading an article about the Ireland and the author said that Irish youth aren't interested in traditional music anymore. They want modern rock. It makes me wonder, is it us Americans who want to be in touch with our roots who will keep it alive? Or is there still a strong interest in Ireland and Scotland? I have a friend in Scotland who I chat with occassionally, he absolutely won't listen to traditional music.
I have to agree with Cynth, although I have no proof, I feel there is an increased interest in Ireland and Scotland.
Personally I think the popular music we have in the States is crap, but that's just me :D
And in terms of Americans wanting to be in touch with their Irish roots...does it make a difference that I'm not of Irish heritage? :D I've always found Irish culture fascinating (esp Irish music).

Oh and Irish music...my favorite band The Corrs is currently working on a traditional Irish album if you're interested ;) Should be coming out next year.
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I play for myself, not to gain points with others.

There are a LOT of board members that play far better than I do, but as long as I'm happy (and, gradually, improving) I don't let it worry me.

I started tinwhistle at 43 - it's been more than two years now, and I still have a long ways to go, but I play a lot better than I did starting out, and I'm enjoying the journey. And who knows? Maybe, someday, I'll be able to play half as well as MurphyStout, Feadogin, or some of the other whippersnappers. :lol:
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Ann wrote:Wow, thanks for all your feed back. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I told my mom that I was taking up the Pennywhistle and she and she came back with a story about how no one in our family has any musical talent. Now I realize why I was dumb enough not to pursue something I always wanted to try. Who needs talent, its all in fun anyway. So I think I'll keep spending my time endllessly getting used to the notes, rolls, strikes, etc. And to know that people can become listenable at ages well past mine will inspire me to keep going, thanks for that. I aspire to play with other people someday.

Okay that is my cue for my story about the judgements of others. When I was about 11 years old, I was in a public school class for electric guitar. Most of the time, each student is wearing a headset and listening to himself/herself. At the end of the year, each student does a solo in front of the class. So, I am up there strumming away, thinking about how good I sound. When I am done, the teacher blurts out, "that was awful." Well, I crumpled with that judgement. It stayed with me for twenty years, and I believed it. The teacher did not judge any of the other students so harshly, I was singled out.

To cut to the happy ending, I took up the pennywhistle 14 years ago, starting with a Clarke original. I now own several whistles. I write my own songs. I perform in front of people. I try and practice every day even if only for a short time. I enjoy my music.
+ Bill
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

There is no excuse EVER for a teacher to do something like that. It is awful to think of the many people who have been halted in their learning by the very ones who are supposed to be helping them. Teachers have (or at least they had) an authority which makes their words especially powerful and it is devastating when they use them in a harmful way. I am glad you have a happy ending for us.

I remember being embarrassed in college when I asked a question---basically the teacher announced that it was stupid. I could not ask a question in front of a group of people for many years after that. I would start shaking to the point I could not speak.

I know a woman who was told by her high school counselor that people "like her" didn't go to college. Luckily her aunt disagreed and the woman is now a tenured faculty member at a university.

Just go ahead and do what you want. You'll figure it out if you are barking up the wrong tree.
Last edited by Cynth on Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Hi Ann,
there are more than enough "real" Irish doing music, this board is crawling with people who have a mental index of every cd every made (and will be made in the next 15 years) so pick their brains. Or simply do a search for "cds" in any of the board and you'll get a wealth of information.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Ann wrote:I have another question I wanted to ask the forum about. Who is making Irish music these days? I was reading an article about the Ireland and the author said that Irish youth aren't interested in traditional music anymore. They want modern rock. It makes me wonder, is it us Americans who want to be in touch with our roots who will keep it alive? Or is there still a strong interest in Ireland and Scotland? I have a friend in Scotland who I chat with occassionally, he absolutely won't listen to traditional music.
There must be something going on with kids in Ireland. Look at Peter's photos.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
BigDavy

Traditional Music in Scotland

Post by BigDavy »

Anne Asked
I have another question I wanted to ask the forum about. Who is making Irish music these days? I was reading an article about the Ireland and the author said that Irish youth aren't interested in traditional music anymore. They want modern rock. It makes me wonder, is it us Americans who want to be in touch with our roots who will keep it alive? Or is there still a strong interest in Ireland and Scotland? I have a friend in Scotland who I chat with occassionally, he absolutely won't listen to traditional music.
Hi Anne

I can't answer for Ireland, but we have a fine crop of young musicians in Scotland. It has never been easier to get access to teaching, instruments and good quality recordings of all types of celtic music. I have got a lot of enjoyment from listening to them at various festivals and sessions and the standard of playing (and the enjoyment of the players and audience) has never been so good. In fact I would argue that the standard of instrumental music in the tradition has never been as good as it is now.

That aside traditional music is still a minority interest here, but at least there are some moves to teach it in the schools and provide access to formal teaching within the curriculum.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BoscoBear

Re: Whistle noobie

Post by BoscoBear »

Ann wrote:I love the thing and will keep trying to get it, but is there really such a thing as being too old to learn how to play an instrument. I really want to know. I'm 38 now, and have been playing with it since February
Never!!! You're never too old to enjoy learning something new...I do know the feeling though, somedays I feel like I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.....

I have a thought which might not be the first one which comes to most peoples minds when offering advice, but it worked wonders for me - I purchased CHILDREN'S TINWHISTLE METHOD by Mizzy McCaskill & Dona Gilliam - It teaches from the perspective that a child is picking up the whistle as their first instrument, for the first time and teaches you to play songs we all know by heart from childhood -

Au Clair De La Lune
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep
Bile Them Cabbage Down
Bingo
Bury Me Out On The Prairie
Down At The Station (Round)
For He's A Jolly Good Fellow
Frere Jacques
Go Tell Aunt Rhody
Hey Lolly, Lolly
Hole In The Bucket
Home On The Range
Man On The Flying Trapeze
Mason's Round
Morning Awaketh (Round)
My Hat It Has Three Corners
Oh, Susanna
Old Macdonald
Over In The Meadow
Polly Wolly Doodle
Scotland's Burning (Round)
Sur Le Pont, D'avignon
The Muffin Man
The Wheels On The Bus
This Old Man
Three Blind Mice (Round)

Now, the reason I suggest this as an option is that it allows you to play songs which you already know, which lends itself to allowing you to learn hand placement and breath control without the worry of trying to learn the "tune" -

In either event, welcome to the boards!!! I'm a newbie myself and the community here is very welcoming!