Wanted: brass whistle polishing substance

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have been looking for Never-Dull and similar substances in my local stores with no success. Does anyone know of an on-line or national-store source for something with which I may safely polish/untarnish brass whistles?
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I generally use 0000 steel wool followed by a jeweler's cloth. Works great. Phil Osattin
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hmm, I just can't bring myself to use steel wool on my whistles. :eek:

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for Never Dull in the Rochester stores when I get back next week. Would someone be so kind as to describe the container to me (or post a pic!) and tell me the names of stores at which it has been found?
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The brand name is Nevr-Dull
manufacturer: The George Basch co., Inc. Freemont NY 11520

I got it at True Value Hardward.

It isn't the only one, and may not be the best, but it's handy. You tear off a little piece of the cotton wadding, wipe till the corrosion is removed, toss that, then polish with a soft cloth. What little smell you get soon fades. It also slows down further tarnishing, but doesn't stop it altogether. I got mine a few years ago and the can is still nearly full and still fresh and affective.
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

On the other hand if you never polish your brass whistle except where the fingers naturally leave it polished around the finger holes, people will look at it and think, "Now there is a real old time whistle player!" The down side to this at least in my case is when I start to play and they learn the awful truth!

Best wishes, Tom
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Thanks Mack! I didn't look at True Value, I'll have to find out where there is one near school.

Tom - yeah, I thought of that, but when I opened my laughing whistle package for the first time it was all shiny and 'wow'...and then it started getting finger marks and wasn't quite that nice. I am aware of the slipperyness problem, and I will tread cautiously. But I also have a slightly dingy Doolin and a woefully neglected Generation that is looking rather brown and spotty. I guess I just like shiny!

(hmm might have to get TWO of each brass whistle...)
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Avenutria,
I bought a pair of earrings a few weeks ago and the store owner polished them for me with a soft cloth. The silver earrings instantly gleamed so I though "ah-ha...could this work on whistles?" and yes, she told me the cloth is impregnated with a non-toxic, non-smelling substance that is safe for all metals, jewels etc. So I bought one from her for $5CDN (that is about $2.50US) and now my brass whistles gleam. So, ask a jeweler if they have something similar you can buy - a jewelers cloth I guess, good luck!
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Thanks whistlepeg! I'll keep an eye out for that, too. Could be useful on an old locket I have, as well. =)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

try cigar ashes, polishes great
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Brasso would work..But it does have an odor
Check out a local Jewelry store..You may score something there

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Just had to reply. I had the same initial reaction to steel wool, but quadruple ought extra fine steel wool is perfect and leaves absolutely no marks while whisking away all that should not be there. The jeweler's cloth final rubdown makes for a wonderful as new appearance. I agree that you may not appreciate handling the steel wool, but being a m-a-n-l-y man myself I also use it to clean guns and custom knife blades that may have eroded some (with some simichrome polish). It is also the recommendation (to lend some real credibility here)of one of the whistle makers that I can't at the moment recall; may have been Michael Copeland and may actually appear in one of the suggested threads. Good luck and let us know how it turned out. Philo
cwmwl

Post by cwmwl »

I use plain toothpaste. Don't want to poison myself.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I use a selmer polishing cloth for plated finishes.

Easy to find in any music store that has any wind instruments.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Thanks everyone. I located a True Value store and also located a jar of Nevr Dull.