Wanted: brass whistle polishing substance

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

My two cents. . .Brasso (a drop polishes the whole whistle, and you wipe it off. . .yes, there is a smell, but its easy and cheap) or the very expensive Cape Cod cloth with the built in, non-smelly stuff.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

Pro-Mark cymbal polish. I've been using it on my Copelands for 10 years. Makes the brass ones look like GOLD.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Cape-Cod metal polishing cloths, available at Restoration Hardware are the best I have found for polishing brass. I use them on my brass Copeland whistle and Lynch pipes chanter cap and drones. They don't leave that petroleum odor or residue that many of the other polishes do.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I use a product called MAAS. A polishing creme for all metals. I picked up a tube at Home Depot for about 5 bucks. Should last me ten years.

Mary
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I normally wouldn't polish my brass whistles, but in a moment of whimsy on Sunday evening I tried with something I've had in my under-the-stairs cupboard for years, called PEEK, and boy, did they come up clean, no elbow grease required. It's manufactured in the UK, so maybe you don't have it in the USA under that name.

I did my Clare and Doolin, and now they shine like Gold. Generations have a varnish coating so it doesn't work on them. I think Waltons are coated too.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
msuraci
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Wanted: brass whistle polishing substance

Post by msuraci »

[ Thread revival. - Mod ]

Celebrate your pipe's patina like the badge of practice and performance it is! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina Otherwise BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) is inexpensive, works immediately and with little effort, and you can find it at many grocery stores. http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ :thumbsup:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

msuraci wrote:BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) is inexpensive, works immediately and with little effort
The active ingredient in Bar Keepers Friend is oxalic acid, for removing rust stains. BKF is also an abrasive scouring powder cleanser (though less abrasive than some others), intended for scrubbing houshold fixtures and appliances. It works well for removing rust and mineral stains from my toilet. But it can scratch and etch polished metal, and I wouldn't allow it within a mile of of one of my whistles.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re:

Post by Mr Ed »

cwmwl wrote:I use plain toothpaste. Don't want to poison myself.
+1. And if you have teeth, it's readily available! :thumbsup:
zeerose

Post by zeerose »

I use Wright's Brass Polish. It is non abrasive and does the job. Purchased it at Price Choppers.

http://www.jawright.com/products/brass-polish.asp
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Flitz is what Seth Gallagher recommended for my pipes, and it works great on the pipes and whistles. One bottle has lasted me years.

http://www.flitz-polish.com/index.php?p ... rnalId=538
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.