B Natural

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I am curious as to why B natural whistles are such a rarity.
Everybody makes a Bb, but not a B natural.
If you want to play in the key of E, there's nothing better than a B natural if you don't have the finger stretch for a low E.
I know the E scale can be played on an A, but it's much easier on a B natural.
I have a Susato Kildare B natural, which is the only mass produced one I'm aware of.
Why aren't they more common?
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

I personally, have never had reason to play Irish music in the key of E, or B for that matter. (If I play "classical" I use a recorder) Any singer I play with who likes to sing close to E, can sing in E flat or F just as easily (Bb or C whistles work well for that) and none of the friends I play with play in E. 99% of all the tunes I play at sessions fit on my D whistle. I'm curious, do you use your B whistle often, and when? Maybe I have led a sheltered life when it comes to whistle keys!
Sue
Sue
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I have a Susato Kildare B natural, which is the only mass produced one I'm aware of.
I would guess that most whistle manufacturers focus on the "bread and butter" of the market, which would be D and low D. Anything beyond that is a tiny niche in an already small market base. However, Chieftain makes a B and low B, which can be considered a 'mass produced'. You can get Thin Weasels in B, though I don't think I'd consider these 'mass produced' :smile:
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

I only use my B natural whistle on two songs at the present time.
One is "The Fields Of Athenry" as recorded by The Dubliners, and the other is "My Heart Will Go On" as recorded by Celine Dion.
Both of these songs are in the key of E, so I need my B natural to play along with the CD.
I've got to give my poor fingers a rest with a couple of moody ballads every now and then.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

i suppose a B nat whistle could be played along with a set of Uilleann pipes pitched in B.....though some might ask why bother with the whistle in that case.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The people that I play with at church are really quite funny. They like to play things in E because it is "so much easier" on a guitar. I have started getting them to do a few songs in D (not really there are just some that they do in D) but for many songs it would really help to have a B-nat whistle
Luckily I am working on a design for one!

Nico
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

B for beautiful
D for dull
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

My friend brought a bamboo flute back from Saigon for me. It's really very nice, especially for the US$6 cost, and plays in B Major. Which left me wondering, "now where would I ever need a B natural simple system flute?"
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

talasiga wrote:B for beautiful
D for dull
D for Delicious
B for Bland

:P

?
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

dfernandez77 wrote:My friend brought a bamboo flute back from Saigon for me. It's really very nice, especially for the US$6 cost, and plays in B Major. Which left me wondering, "now where would I ever need a B natural simple system flute?"
It'll come in handy if you ever stumble across an Uilleann pipe B session. Pipes pitched in B are becoming popular. Flat sets such as these are usually quite mellow and fairly quiet compared to the concert sets pitched in D, so you stand a really good chance of hearing yourself and being heard by others as well. Otherwise, you can use it for tunes and songs in the Key of E.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I love my B natural that you made me, Gary! I use it quite a bit but I play a large variety of music types. Have never used it in a traditional setting. Only in orchestral settings or contemporary "rock" band settings.

You're right! When playing in E major, it is the whistle I go to (or my Overton tenor E). I suggest to anyone ordering a B-flat from Gary, spend the extra (what, $20?) and get the B natural tube! You'll be ready for that opportunity to play in E or B.

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

raindog1970 wrote:I am curious as to why B natural whistles are such a rarity.
Yet another reason to go with Gary Humphrey's whistles!

You da man!
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

picardy third wrote:I love my B natural that you made me, Gary!
Glad you're still enjoying it, Nathan.
I think yours was the last pre-Stealth Bb/B set I made.
And has anyone noticed that this thread is five years old?
Leave it to Talasiga to resurrect something this ancient... I didn't even make whistles back then! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I have an awesome B whistle in PVC made by Mack Hoover. It has a beautiful, almost wood sound with lots of volume available so it can keep up with amplified instruments. They are very reasonably priced. As to why the key of E - well many songwriters just happen to be guitar players. E, A and D are their favorite keys as it gives them more open strings and easisest fingerings. They will also do G and C but start asking them to play in Bb or Eb - there are few who can oblige without resorting to a capo and a less experienced player may not even know what you're talking about. Whistle players don't need no stinking capos - just more whistles in more keys!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I was at the Potomac Celtic Festival yesterday and played a Susato B at the House of Musical Traditions booth. It was a lovely whistle. I almost bought it. I may go down to the store and get it yet. I played a few others some very nice and some disappointing. I played a Shaw low F that sounded very nice. I told the guy at the booth that it was a color changing whistle. After a few minutes playing it I turn blue.

BTW I took my Humphreys D and my Alba Q1 with me.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.