Raffle: Fred Rose Blackwood in D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Friends,

Fred Rose has donated a blackwood whistle in D for the Chiff & Fipple Charitable Trust. I'm going to do a raffle. This will be the first of a series I will be doing this year. Instead of a big monster raffle with multiple prizes, I want to try a one-at-a-time approach. I want to try to calculate the best return. I'll run a notice in the newsletter regarding this, but let me ask board members first:

Post a message here indicating how much in US dollars you would be willing to contribute to a raffle for a chance at this whistle.

Second question, how much would you be willing to contribute if you knew that the number of chances was limited to

100% of proceeds will go to support the rape crisis center here in Birmingham, AL. More about that later. Let's just say that when I finish describing the work they are doing, you will likely want to contribute something.

Dale
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Post a message here indicating how much in US dollars you would be willing to contribute to a raffle for a chance at this whistle.
five bucks a pop...it's a tiny contribution
Second question, how much would you be willing to contribute if you knew that the number of chances was limited to
25 - 15 bucks
50 - 10
100 - 5
100% of proceeds will go to support the rape crisis center here in Birmingham, AL. More about that later. Let's just say that when I finish describing the work they are doing, you will likely want to contribute something.
That is always important work to be doing, but you have to remember I have a bad case of poverty think, too, but some of us on disability who live under the poverty line also like to contribute to it. I used to volunteer at a rape crisis line, but there's not one here at all, s-o-o-o maybe I better just sent you a SweetTone to raffle!
gogo

Post by gogo »

My family likes to tell me I've got more dollars than sense. So, I'd probably spend up to $100 on tickets (good cause, good whistle, can't really go wrong).
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

My respects to Fred Rose! Great gesture and thank you on behalf of myself and the NWA.

I'd be willing to spend $20/15/5.
/Bloomfield
AmyK

Post by AmyK »

Hi Dale,

A raffle sounds like great fun and knowing
that the money will go to a good cause makes
it even better! That said, I must agree with
prices of Anna and Bloomfield. Scraping up 5
to 20 dollars would be possible, but
spending fifty to a hundred dollars, though
I would love to be able to, is simply not
possible. If I did it would mean the
difference in buying a used textbook that
has some pages missing or a textbook that
has been gently used but is still all
intact! :eek:)

Best wishes,
Amy K
brownja

Post by brownja »

Dale,
how are you going to handle payments? You'll have to manage 50-100 small transactions.
Paypal maybe?
jb
brownja

Post by brownja »

Oh, to answer your question.
I think the total take should be in the range of 3-5 times the values of the whistle.
For example 100 $5 tickets for a $100 whistle. Less than that, and why bother. Much more than that, and you might find yourself on the wrong side of the risk/reward/charity equation (of course, that will vary from person to person, but you need to motivate 50-100 to write a check, address an envelope, etc. etc.)
Good idea though, combining c+f'ers pathological desire to aquire whistles, with the rush of gambling, and the warm+fuzzy of helping a good cause.
Regards,
jb
didymus

Post by didymus »

I go along with the 20/15/5 idea.

Frank
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

What happens to the C&F'ers outside the US?
The costs to convert money to US funds could easily exceed the amount they are sending.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

When I remember right from the last raffle, it worked very easy with credit card payment possibility so even from overseas I had no problems. It should be still the same. Have a good Sunday Brigitte
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

That's right. Mike Falligant, at the Crisis Center, can take credit card payments over the phone. Works out well.

Dale
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Great idea Dale!

But I have to agree with Tony about foreign currency exchange. The Canadian dollar is at a all time low verses the US dollar.

So I will donate $25.00 CDN to my favourite charity here in Windsor, Campanion Animals.

This organization take their pets into Senior centres and post -ops to help the recovery from heart surgery etc. There is a growing body of research that being around animals helps in the recovery and the daily well being of people.

It is a great gesture by Fred to donate a whistle of such quality for such a worthy and needed organization.

But alas I will have to pass on this one.

Good Luck to everyone!

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

On 2002-02-10 09:38, DaleWisely wrote:
That's right. Mike Falligant, at the Crisis Center, can take credit card payments over the phone. Works out well.

Dale
No credit cards, where do I send a check?
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

with no cost to access this wonderful whistle world resource, and in recognition of the incredible time commitment given by Dale & others to make this board work, I'm happy for the opportunity to kick in to any worthy cause designated by Dale
so, as for me, US$10(Canadian$8,995)would be mailed out as soon as the "raffle" is a go (with or without a Fred Rose Whistle).
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hehehe. Good one, Bob.

Dale