Garage Band

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

:D :P 8)
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

So here's my question...

how useful are these tools for looping a 6/8 drum beat so that you can play some whistle over it? I've thought about getting something for that purpose..
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Check out the Apple website, and you can get a bit of info, but it sounds like you could do what you just mentioned.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

alespa wrote:Garageband doesn't come with the mac, unless it happens to be a promo through a mail order catalog like Clubmac, or MacMall.
Garage Band came on my computer direct from apple.

The most I've used it for is to mix sound effects and music for use in an annual haunted house I do.

From what I heard the newest version (less than a week old) allows you to edit by notation as well. Now that is something that I want to see. I'm hoping to make it to the Apple store on Monday to see if I actually want to buy it just for that feature.
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

Wanderer wrote:So here's my question...

how useful are these tools for looping a 6/8 drum beat so that you can play some whistle over it? I've thought about getting something for that purpose..
I did something like that while taking a break from editing my other music.

I've also recorded my playing right into garage band and then did all kinds of wierd things to it and ended up using it in one of my haunted house loops.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Gemini, Did you try to add loops to what you had recorded? How did you get the tempo to match?

I have listened to some attempts at Celtic sounding music on Garageband sites, but nothing has sounded too authentic. That is why I am looking for some loops of fiddles (other than Nordic) or appropriate guitar loops.

lizzie
Dana

Post by Dana »

Jam Pack 4 for Garage Band has symphony orchestra effects. Supposedly you can manipulate each instrument individually. This might be an option to get a fiddle sound, and it's available on the Apple website.

Dana
billw

Hooking up your midi KB

Post by billw »

alespa wrote:Hey Bill,

I have an Alesis QS8 keyboard with a midi out. How can I plug into my computer? I have a mac, and I'ver heard of the Griffin iMic, and almost bought it AND a mic for recording, but then found the MicFlex (DVForge.com) which is a USB mic. I love it. It would be fun to hook up my keyboard right where I work :)

Matt
Wow. Bizarre you should ask right now. I just dragged out a small (1 in, 3 out) MacNexus MIDI adapter for Mac, that I was going to put up on eBay. I got it a few years ago when I was forced, kicking and screaming, to program Mac in C++ for a while. Thankfully, that ordeal is over, and I dumped my G5 the instant I could find a sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hbuyer :D . PM or (preferably) email me if you want it. bill@serREMOVETHISpentmusic.com I seem to recall paying around 25 bucks for it. It's from J L Cooper Electronics, who make incredibly good broadcast stuff. I don't have any documentation for it, but I'm sure it's obtainable from Cooper, and the hookup is blindingly simple, anyhow. I'll hang on to it for a few days before doing the eBay thing in case you or someone else here wants it. You get first dibs, at what I paid for it and 5 bucks shipping, then it's up for grabs.
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

Lizzie wrote:Gemini, Did you try to add loops to what you had recorded? How did you get the tempo to match?

I have listened to some attempts at Celtic sounding music on Garageband sites, but nothing has sounded too authentic. That is why I am looking for some loops of fiddles (other than Nordic) or appropriate guitar loops.

lizzie
Most of what I have done is importing or recording into garage band. I have played with a few loops though. Each instrument can be tweaked to fit your needs. When it came to playing with Garage band, I just played to the beat of the loop. I play a couple of instruments, so this kept them all together. Granted, this doesn't really give the proper "feel" for trad music. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the program; I'm not sure. I don't think garage band is set up very intuitively and I've been too lazy to read all the directions.

I'm curious to check out the new jam pack with orchestra instruments because I have thought of making full band trad music. I just haven't found the time to play with it yet in that way. I hope the Apple store has it loaded on a computer in the shop so I can check it out. I'll let you know how it goes after I go there on Monday.

Tina
Guitar Kat =^..^=

Post by Guitar Kat =^..^= »

I've been considering getting a Laptop for my digital design endevours since I've heard that it's a computer of choice for people who do that as a profession. What do you think of that, Lizzie?

Plus, what can Garage Band do with several tracks... how many can it do?

Thanks. :D
~~~~
Kat =^..^=
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Kat,

I have been in graphic design since 1983. I can tell you that a majority, if not most any company you will ever work for are using macs. Look at any graphic design industry mags, and this will back that up. Most commercial printers will also expect to see files coming from macs as well. This isn't to say you can't do good design on a PC. But you should realize that if you want to work with other designers, companies, etc, you need to be compatible, and be able to work on their machines, for instance, if are a contract or freelance designer.

Matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

What do you think of that, Lizzie?
[quote]

I would not have any other computer, even if I was not doing a lot of graphics. Get a fast one though, a G5. Photoshop files can get huuuuge!

And you would Garage Band free!!!!

Liz
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Tina, I have managed to find a few loops that might fit in with a traditional band. Proloops has bodhran jig patterns and also pan flute stuff. This is the first I have found that even remotely could be considered Irish.

proloops.com

liz
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

Okay, I went to the Apple store today to play.

They didn't have the Jam Packs loaded on their systems, so I couldn't check out the orchestra pack to see what they had.

Garage Band 2 does come with more loops than the first version. I didn't see anything specifically useful without some tweaking. The good news is that v.2 lets you create and save loops. So, if you can get someone to record simple loops, they can be saved and shared. If you have a session, it will record up to 8 tracks at once.

(I feel like an Apple ad right now) :P

The music can also be viewed and edited in visual midi and notation. I spent most of my time playing with notation because I find it the easiest to relate to when writing songs.

All in all, the improvements are excellent, but I think for trad music we need to get together with other musicians and exchange loops. (i.e. give me a fiddle, I'll give you a whistle)

I almost bought it today because I was so excited to play some more, but in the end, I decided patience was worth the $20 savings when ordering online with the education discount. So, I should have it (at the latest) in one week.

If you have other questions about it, I can try to answer them, based on what I saw today. If I discover anything when it arrives, I'll let you know.

Tina
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Tina, I have had some other references given to me for trad loopps, but have not had a chance to check them out.I will let you know after I have done that.

Liz