Lawrence Nugent...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Bloomfield wrote: Of the three, I like the first one best. It seems the strongest and rawest to me.
I agree here. However, I also like Two for Two. While I appreciate the level of playing on "The Windy Gap", it does seem to me to be a little too polished.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

You nitpickers. The guy is so head and shoulders above most of the stuff out there, you can't go wrong. Great style, variation. Entertaining to listen to. People who have no appreciation for Irish music like it when they here him. (Yeah, I'm prejudiced.)
:P Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
PaulGil

Post by PaulGil »

TonyHiggins wrote:You nitpickers. The guy is so head and shoulders above most of the stuff out there, you can't go wrong. Great style, variation. Entertaining to listen to. People who have no appreciation for Irish music like it when they here him. (Yeah, I'm prejudiced.)
:P Tony
Tony - I am in your camp here. Larry never seems to play the same notes in any measure - always slippin' something new and unexpected in - each time round. How about Cuz Teahan's Slow Reel then The Old Grand Spey on Windy Gap - the lyrical lifting. pushing and pulling, the mix of whistle and flute - Sheesh - this knocked me on me arse when I first heard it - still amazes me. To see him play in person is a true revelation - he is a lip contortionist. His proximity to the music growing up in such a musical family - his head full of great tunes - he wins hands down on my choice for the American Idol show...?...
Best!
Paulie
TomB

Post by TomB »

TonyHiggins wrote:I agree with Bloomfield's assessment of the cd differences. I like Windy Gap the best because I like the selection of tunes the best. That often sways my preferences. I just listened to the first one the other day and had forgotten there are some excellent tunes there as well. (Nugent is a big source for new tunes to learn by me. :) )
Tony

Thanks, Tony!~
"Consult the Book of Armaments"