Do you still whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you still whistle?

Post by energy »

The title sums up the question. I'm wondering if there is so little on topic conversation because people aren't playing much.

I've mostly stopped playing whistle, aside from infrequent instances where I'll pick it up again for a few days. I think that for the amount of time I put into playing, it wasn't very rewarding. Generally. Now I'm a closet fiddler.

On a similiar vein, how many consider some other instrument to be your main focus?
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Whistle is one of my main instruments in fact I probably right now play whistle the most but Flute is a very close second and third I am also a closet Fiddler fourth Bassoon my "main" instrument fifth the GHBs they are oyut all the time but I am too lazy to venture to the basement.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm primarily a fluteplayer. I come to this forum for the hijinks, but just to let everybody that I finally started playing whistles of late! Took long enough. I actually like playing 'em; some tunes sound better to me on whistle than anything else. So now I actually deserve to be here. :D
DCrom

Re: Do you still whistle?

Post by DCrom »

energy wrote:The title sums up the question. I'm wondering if there is so little on topic conversation because people aren't playing much.

I've mostly stopped playing whistle, aside from infrequent instances where I'll pick it up again for a few days. I think that for the amount of time I put into playing, it wasn't very rewarding. Generally. Now I'm a closet fiddler.

On a similiar vein, how many consider some other instrument to be your main focus?
I whistle every day.

On days where I'm really busy at work, I may only get half an hour in at lunchtime.

On days when I get home earlier, I may get in an additional hour or more at home.

I play high whistles (I consider an A to be a "high whistle") at work; I try to split my at-home time fairly evenly between high and low whistles.

Except for a little casual practice from time to time with my Dixon Duo's flute head, it's whistle all they way. I may get more serious about flute, but if so it'll replace low whistle - the high whistles will still get time.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:Whistle is one of my main instruments in fact I probably right now play whistle the most but Flute is a very close second and third I am also a closet Fiddler fourth Bassoon my "main" instrument fifth the GHBs they are oyut all the time but I am too lazy to venture to the basement.
Another bassoonist! I would probably place bassoon as my second instrument behind saxophone, with whistle as third. Then ukulele and the little bit of piano and guitar I can do. Lately, I've really hit the whistles hard, though, so I've actually spent more time playing those than anything else. Still have to practice my sax, though!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I play a Low D nightly for 1/2 hour to help me relax.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Mercy, yes! I play every day! In fact I overplayed today, because I'm so eager to learn the session tunes I picked up this weekend...my hands are sore! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I haven't played on a regular basis in about a year and a half, sadly. School has just sapped my energy and I still live in blasted dormitory. I'll pick it up again one of these days, as it stands, I've probably forgotten everything by now anyhow, so it'll all be brand new again. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Yes. I play my whistle when I'm in a whistle mood and my flute when in a flute mood. For today, that meant 1.5 hours on whistle and .5 on flute (and 4 minutes on bodhran). I probably play my flute most often in sessions. I've been a flute player much longer than I've been a whistle player.

Erik
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Since getting a new job, I have to commute much longer distances and my life at home is shorter. Hard to find time to practice and I have yet to find a place to sneak in some tuneage at work. I manage to get some in daily at home. But very hard to really go in depth. I find that spinning the CDs helps refocus what I really love about the music.

One thing I do hate is trying to practice when kinda tired. That sucks and is discouraging because I have a keen sense of what happens when you practice something poorly: it gets ingrained then requires ten times more effort to extract.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I don't play on a regular basis . . . I got busy or distracted or just spent too much time reading this board! If I play in the den(where I am right now) it drives my bird crazy. In fact, I just quietly picked on my whistle off the desk, and my bird came down to the bottom of the cage and peeked under the blanket I had thrown over it! She knows, she always knows. :(

On the other hand, I recorded my Buntus Cainte tape to CD and I've listened to it while I'm on the computer. But the bird doesn't seem to like that either.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

What are you talking about, Weeks?

DRIVING TIME = PRACTICE TIME!
emmline

Post by emmline »

whistles sit on my desk, and I toodle a tune or several each day if the mood strikes as I'm between other tasks. It's far from my primary focus...just a pleasant diversion and temporary distraction. Fun hobby I guess, in my case.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I only play whistle and play 6 or 7 days a week, between 15 minutes and an hour and a half a day. I take lessons once every two weeks.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I normally play off and on all day, but for the past three and a half weeks we've been living with our younger son in a rather crowded household, so I only play for about a half hour a day, when I can find a bit of time when I don't think I'll disturb anyone too much. We should finally get into the new house in about 10 or 12 days, so I'll get back on schedule then.
Last edited by Darwin on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe