Watching Tim Janis right now!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Watching Tim Janis right now!

Post by littlejohngael »

Wow. This guy is on with his ensemble and the young lady playing the flute just put it down and picked up a whistle! It looks like a Dixon or something. It was tuneable and black with a thin gold inscription over the top hole. Whatever type of whistle it was, she played it beautifully!

Is anyone familiar with this ensemble and more specifically the type of whistle the young lady plays? While I'm waiting for someone to make the inevitable "Perhaps-it's-a-Spillane" comment :lol: , I'll dash off and try and find out.

Little John
ChaoticGemini
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChaoticGemini »

Where are you watching this group?
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Geez. It's on cable. It's a Christmas concert. I'm not even sure what channel it is ... :oops:
WilliamC
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

The Tim Janis Ensemble is appearing on QVC. I just caught the last minute of one of their sets but I've seen this group on QVC the last couple of Christmas's with the same whistle/flute player. The whistle she's playing looks like a Susato to me.
littlejohngael

Post by littlejohngael »

WilliamC wrote:The Tim Janis Ensemble is appearing on QVC. I just caught the last minute of one of their sets but I've seen this group on QVC the last couple of Christmas's with the same whistle/flute player. The whistle she's playing looks like a Susato to me.
Yep. Sure enough. It's QVC. A Susato? Do they come in black? I emailed Tim Janis just on the off chance that he's checking email ... late at night ... on Christmas Eve ... um ... yeah ... :roll:

:lol:
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Yes, I caught some of the preformance last night on QVC. I thought it might be Tim, but they didn't say who it was during the show. Beautiful . . . I just want to know why my whistle playing NEVER sounds like that!

Tim Janis and his Ensemble played at the Bridgewater Commons mall(central New Jersey) quite a few years ago . . . some time in the late 90's. The music was beautiful and his CDs were snatched up. I remember I had dabbled with the whistle, but never got around to learning how to play. After watching the woman play tin whistle at his show, I started with the Bill Ochs tutorial . . . again. And did much better the second time around.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
DRC

Post by DRC »

I've been in touch with Tim on a couple occasions in the past, and she plays a Susato. People may hate them, but they sound great through a sound system. In my travels, I've been amazed at how many Irish whistlers play Susatos. I actually like mine a lot and need to start playing it more at gigs.

DRC
SlipJig Celtic Band
slowair

Post by slowair »

I've talked up Tim Janis in the past on this board. You might want to do a search for those posts. Keyword: Tim Janis and put slowair in for the author.

If you like Tim's work and Celtic music, you definitely want to pick up the CD Etain. Lots of flute and whistle!

Drop by Tim's site. He was even giving away a CD a while back, just for getting on his mailing list.

http:www.timjanis.com/

Mike
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Wow, thanks for the info on the whistle! My sister has been a Tim Janis fan for years and keeps telling me to buy his CDs. He has some really good deals on QVC sometimes, like 5 CDs for $30. The only one I've listened to all the way through is "Water's Edge" and it is just GORGEOUS.

Anyway, I watched his "Beautiful America" program on PBS last night--a tribute to 5 national parks. It was so beautiful. I loved all the close-ups of the whistle player, and I think she played her whistle even more than her flute. I saw that it was a shiny black one of some sort of plastic-looking material...I had no idea which one, and was dying to know. In fact, I got on here tonight to do a search and see if anyone had mentioned this very topic. Thanks for the info! Oh, and I'm pretty sure it was a D whistle, too...I ran and checked the tune out on my piano. :D

I e-mailed Tim a couple of years ago asking what kind of whistle was used on "Water's Edge" and didn't get an answer, though I didn't really expect one. Is it really a Susato??? I can't believe it sounded so good, if it was...I haven't had the greatest experience with Susatos. :)

Beautiful music, I highly recommend it! Tim must love the sound of the whistle and I'm so glad he uses it so much.
DRC

Post by DRC »

Cees wrote:
I e-mailed Tim a couple of years ago asking what kind of whistle was used on "Water's Edge" and didn't get an answer, though I didn't really expect one. Is it really a Susato??? I can't believe it sounded so good, if it was...I haven't had the greatest experience with Susatos. :)

Beautiful music, I highly recommend it! Tim must love the sound of the whistle and I'm so glad he uses it so much.
Yes, it's a high D standard bore session Susato (what they call an "S" Series Kildare). They can sound great with an experienced player and run through a good sound system with reverb, etc.

The Susato very small bore D is easier to play but has a thin sound and really shreaks on the high A & B notes. I gave mine away.

I wish I could remember the flute/whistle player's name. She's an excellent player...and not bad to look at!

DRC
SlipJig Celtic Band
www.slipjigband.com
WilliamC
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

Is her name Cinnamon Creeden? Here's a link to a fact sheet on one of his albums, An American Composer in Concert:

http://www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/d9 ... %20Creeden'

By the way, any guesses on what Irish flute she was playing? I thought it resembled the flutes on Skip Healy's website.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Yes, that's her name...there isn't too much about her on the web, as I found when I tried to do a bit of researching. She should get a web page. :) She's quite good.

That Irish flute was lovely, as well! I was drooling over it. No idea what kind, though...I'm not up on flute models.
DRC

Post by DRC »

WilliamC wrote:Is her name Cinnamon Creeden? Here's a link to a fact sheet on one of his albums, An American Composer in Concert:
Good find. Doing a search for Cinnamon Creedon, aside from being listed on the CDs, I see she's also listed as being with him in upcoming TV broadcasts. So that's her, folks. But as Cees pointed out, there's no personal info about her that I could find.

BTW, his site says "Watch Tim Janis perform live on QVC on Wednesday, January 26th at 1:00 PM EST".

DRC
Dana

Post by Dana »

As far as I know, Cinnamon Creedon plays a Healy flute. One of Tim Janis' CDs mentions her using a Healy Irish flute.

Dana
Whistle-man

Post by Whistle-man »

I got one of Tim's free CD's a while back. It's GREAT Music for us whistle players. Lots of talent!

Tim if your seeing this, include some whistle in your CD's it will fit in very well as it does in your show!
Have a great Day!