Whistling acoustics

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Koss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistling acoustics

Post by Koss »

Does anyone of you have experience in whistling while taking bath or shower ? :)
Many physicists say that the acoustics are very impressive because of reflecting sound waves on fallen water drops ..... :boggle:
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

not sure about the reflections on the water drops, but I've played my Overton low D while taking a bath. :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Yep. I frequently play Grinters and Abells and my keyed wooden flutes in the shower. :wink:

Seriously, it might be time to experiment with a Susato. Equally seriously, water is a valuable commodity in Australia and I actually enjoy showers a little too much as it is.
Koss

Post by Koss »

Yep. I frequently play Grinters and Abells and my keyed wooden flutes in the shower.
THAT's the point ! The tin whistle is nearly the only (!) Instrument playable in the shower
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Koss wrote:The tin whistle is nearly the only (!) Instrument playable in the shower
Yes, it's just the mike and the amplifier I'm having difficulty with at the moment. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and let you know how it works.
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

If i tried to play in the bath i would get murdered. :sniffle:

my sisters hate my playing :sniffle: and the bathroom right by their rooms. :thumbsup:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
Dispatcher

Post by Dispatcher »

Not too long ago we had a church gathering at a park and just happened to have my whistle with me. At the park they had a stand alone, concrete block restroom facility. It is amazing the sounds you can get out of a low d whistle from inside a 10x10x10 concrete room. I thought about staying a while just to play, but also thought about how bizarre the idea was to just stand around inside the men's room playing the whistle. Incidently, the idea to play inside was not originally mine. A friend from church who plays the shakuhachi cought me as I was leaving the park and said "You've got to check out the accoustics of the bathroom". We have joked a couple of times about having church inside the men's room since that.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I have played in an empty house (i.e. no furniture, no carpet, no drapes.) That was nice.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I understand that you can get some interesting reverb by squishing your 6 foot, 6 inch body into an empty 40 gallon metal trash can and then replacing the lid.

I also understand that you don't want to try this when the trash can isn't empty. Banana peels are especially good at absorbing the sounds from a Low D whistle.

I further understand that you don't want to try this early on a Thursday morning when the garbage men make their rounds. Banana peels are exceptionally good at absorbing the screams from a Low D whistle player.

Or, so I've heard. :-?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cube vans. A few days ago, a bunch of folks from the local Irish trad music/dance community helped someone move in a pinch; we swarmed like locusts and got the job done in an hour. We were able to do it because someone (me) brought a cube van from a dealership to help out, and just about everything was able to be loaded in it. Afterward a few of us had a brief session in the van's box, photos were taken, dancers danced in the street, and passing motorists gawked. The acoustics in cube vans are great.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I like the image of the van and the passersby!

If I had a bathroom, I'd definitely try playing in the shower. Anybody here want to let me visit their facilities and give it a try?

I don't think whistle playing during a sponge bath would have the same effect. :( Oh well.

Jennie
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I have played a low D in an empty metal building with a concrete floor. It took 3 hours for my ears to quit ringing! :o
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

There are some abandoned train tunnels near where I live (the Othello tunnels- other parts of this railway also have Shakespearean names). There's water dripping from the ceiling, but most of the attraction is the great echo. I also play my xaphoon there.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Well I did it, I played in the shower. It was...interesting. I can't say it was a good sound, but it definitely had lots of fluctuation and complexity. However, I didn't hear very much chiff. I don't know whether the moisture prevented it or the sound of the water just prevented me from hearing it.

I like it better dry.