.4K - A Season to Be Brief: WE HAVA A WINNER

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What's the best short piece of prose?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 am

Cloven
9%
Annie's Baby
9%
Got a Cigarette?
2%
Zany Granddaughter
26%
Cautious Captain
23%
The Associate
2%
Blueberry Summer
7%
Sarah shuffles through fallen leaves...
7%
Our Song
9%
Dissolution
5%

Total votes: 43

emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Gee whiz Bloom. I had no idea we were that profound. Now I know how Dickens felt as we sat in 12th grade AP English trying to link all the death references in Great Expectations.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote:
john swinton wrote:...and to let people give me suggestions for a better ending.
Assuming you are really asking, here are a couple of pointers:

Eddie was turning into his street now, he shuffled past the place he first got stabbed, and he shuffled up to his gate. Putting a thin hand on the rusted latch he pressed it down and the iron gate squeaked open on ancient hinges.

Two days later, a man came home to find his adopted son lying on the floor with a bottle of pills in his hand.

What Eddie had looked for 15 years was love. That simple 4 lettered word that means so much to people. He had never received any, only giving it away until he was a hollow shell. Devoid of any good emotion, only filled with hatred, evil and anger.
In the first paragraph of this excerpt, you are imbuing the real world with meaning: the gate, the thin hand, the squeaking on ancient hinges, all that and the place where he first (!) got stabbed. That works.

The next sentence is the sort of stark shocker sentence I was fond of as a teenager. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, the trick is to be careful what is around it.

The last paragraph is what kills it really. "What Eddie had looked for 15 years was love. That simple 4 lettered word that means so much to people" There is nothing specific here anymore. The real world has dropped out and all that is left is a sermonizing narrator making banal statements (what does it matter to love how many letters the word has?). There is nothing specific left, and the images are broken: First we are told that poor Eddie empty: a hollow shell and devoid of good emotion. But then all of a sudden his full of hatred, evil, and anger. Apart from the empty/full thing, is hatred, evil, and anger really what explains a suicide by sleeping pills?

A story with a great start & potential, you might just want to work on that ending. One approach might be to just leave out the last paragraph.

And I'll add, the reader wants to take the journey with the character, not have it summed up in the last paragraph. The reader wants to witness the character having his moment, where he makes a change or doesn't make a change or decides or doesn't decide. Being there is why we read.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
emmline

Post by emmline »

Paul wrote: John,
This one works for any story at any time you want to end it guaranteed.
And suddenly everyone got run over by a truck.
:D
Many years ago I read a Thomas Keneally book called "Confederates."
That, basically, is a paraphrase of how it ended. Irked me that I'd trudged through the entire epic to come to that.
(but in this context...it just might work! 8) )
john swinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

have another comp soo so I can enter my UPDATED story.

also I ment to write mint kayak. although I do see the occaisonal otter.

I do all the paddleing, thugh i wish i didnt. on the flat one would need an outboard to stay sane. it would need to be removable, freestyle doesnt work with an outboard attatched! :lol:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

40 votes. nice round number. Do I hear 50?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

All right! WE HAVE A WINNER:

Best piece of prose, 400 words or less:

Cautious Captain by scottielvr

Second place goes to:

Zany Granddaughter by FlyingCursor (fka Geek4Music)

Third place is a tie between

Cloven by emmline,

Annie's Baby by susnfx, and

Our Song by LeeMarsh.

Fourth place goes to Blueberry Summer by Musical_Midnight and the untitled entry by FJohnSharp that starts with "Sarah shuffled through fallen leaves..."

Thank you so much for playing!

And especial and particular thanks for the writers who have delurked to post their entries. Great to have you, post more.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/Bloomfield
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Congratulations to all the winners!!! Especially anonymous whomever you may be :D Are we going to find out, Bloom? Is anonymous going to step forward now that he or she has won?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Congratulations to the winners. Now that it's over, I'll say that for me it was between Dissolution, Annies's Baby, and Cautious Captain. I thought all three delivered an ache that made them especially worthwhile. I liked the Zany Grandaughter too, because of the absurd way it made me laugh.

Congratulations to everyone who took a chance and tried. It's no small thing.

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

izzarina wrote:Congratulations to all the winners!!! Especially anonymous whomever you may be :D Are we going to find out, Bloom? Is anonymous going to step forward now that he or she has won?
At the very least, we'll know when it's published in RHP

Suburban Symphony
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote:Congratulations to all the winners!!! Especially anonymous whomever you may be :D Are we going to find out, Bloom? Is anonymous going to step forward now that he or she has won?

:cry: :) :cry: :) I'd like to thank my Mom, Dad, lawyer and state representitive as well as the members of the academy for second place with "Zany Granddaughter"

Contratulations to all others.
There were a lot of great stories and I feel somewhat abashed in that I wrote my story as a joke. I had no idea it would even make top 100.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I edited the announcement post to put in Flyingcursor's handle. I'm sure we'll hear who wrote Cautious Captain soon enough. :)
/Bloomfield
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:party:

Congratulations to all the winners .
An excellent competition enjoyed by all.

Voting for a winner was very hard but after a lot of thought I went for "The Associate",the humour of the piece really tickled me....I wonder who wrote it?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations to all the winners and non-winners. There were a lot of enjoyable stories here. I wish my muse wouldn't desert me when these competitions are running but, for me, the competitive aspect is unimportant compared to the pleasure of reading my fellow Chiffers expressing themselves. Well done and thanks.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Congratulations to all the winners for their well-deserved recognition and thanks for providing us with such good reading, from the shining elegance of Cautious Captain to the fun of Zany Grandaughter and on through the range of feeling, experience, and imagination captured in the other lovely winners. In a community where we really only know each other by our writing (with a few exceptions, of course), it's a treat to see aspects of our members' personalities emerge in the graceful and creative ways this contest has encouraged. A special thanks to Lee Marsh for seeing within "Dorian Tune" an entire lifetime of two people. :)

Carol
Paul

Post by Paul »

Congratulations to all the winners! :party: Bloomie, I guess your Bloomfield signature-edition Maybach will have to wait for the next contest. I just got off the phone with Juergen Shremmp and cancelled the deal. :D