The scary clown.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

The scary clown.

Post by emmline »

I happened to be online (everyone's shocked--Emm, you're never online...,) when my daughter called to chat from college. After covering the boy-related issues, she said, "Oh, I have to tell you a really scary story that actually happened to my friend's friend when she was babysitting!"
She went on to relate this true tale of the babysitter and a freaky clown statue.
My inner skeptic said, "Urban legend."
She said, "no, this really happened!"
My inner skeptic did a quick google and read the Snopes.com entry back to her.
Funny to be 18 and naive.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/statue.asp
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I love Urban Legends and SNOPES is wonderful. However, you don't have to be young to fall for these...my 68 year old mother frequently emails or calls with Urban Legend related worries.

Eric
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

"...a Ronald McDonald clown statue toppled onto a six-year-old girl, severing the fleshy part of her fingertip. The excised piece was reattached, but the child still had a malformed fingernail."
I feel validated now. Ronald McDonald has always terrified me.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Jayhawk wrote:I love Urban Legends and SNOPES is wonderful. However, you don't have to be young to fall for these...my 68 year old mother frequently emails or calls with Urban Legend related worries.

Eric
I agree. My parents are ALWAYS sending me the emails. The best one thus far is the one about how you'll blow up if you use your cell phone whilst pumping gas :o
Oh, and that clown on the snopes site is WAAAAAAAY scary!!! Gives me the heebies.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

Funny, first thing I thought of when I saw the subject of this thread was "Oh, it'll be about John Wayne Gacy - funny thing to talk about on C&F" - just goes to show that ya shouldn't jump to conclusions :)

Although the snopes page did mention him :)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

izzarina wrote: I agree. My parents are ALWAYS sending me the emails. The best one thus far is the one about how you'll blow up if you use your cell phone whilst pumping gas :o
I was at a gas station Saturday that had that warning plastered all over its pumps!!!! 'Course this was up in sticksville Northern California, even farther North than I am.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

All the gas pumps I've seen in NC have the warning against using cell phones while
pumping gas. Since scientific studies have come down on the side of saying it's not
a problem, I don't worry about it. But since I have seen people smoking while pumping,
I figure the gas stations are just in a position of covering their collective posteriors.
What you DO have to watch out for is getting in and out of your car while pumping
gas, and not grounding yourself before touching the pump handle.
Static electricity + gas fumes = bad.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

fearfaoin wrote:What you DO have to watch out for is getting in and out of your car while pumping gas, and not grounding yourself before touching the pump handle.
Static electricity + gas fumes = bad.
Oh, good. A chance to repeat another in my endless stock of personal anecdotes.

I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC during the mid-70s gasoline crisis. I don't recall which year this happened--probably '74, but it was in winter, when the air was very dry.

I was in 1st PSYOP Bn, so I pulled Sergeant of the Guard for the JFK Center (Special Forces). We had walking sentinels in a few select locations, but mostly we had pairs of "roving " sentinels in jeeps, who drove around and checked a variety of buildings that belonged to the Center.

One evening when I was on, we got a radio call from one of our roving sentinels who was all excited. They were just going on shift and had driven down to some of our buildings in a relatively isolated area off of Gruber Road, where they found the area crawling with MPs.

It turned out that some clever fellow had driven his big Army tractor-trailer (don't recall the nomencalture, but probably big enough to haul a tank or two) down out of sight of any traffic and proceeded to siphon gasoline into a can for his personal use.

What he didn't realize was that gas moving through a plastic hose in a low-humidity environment can build up a nice charge of static electricity. He didn't have all his parts grounded properly, got a big spark, and blew himself up. Apparently, he was killed and the truck pretty much destroyed. I drove down there a couple of days later, and there was no sign that anything had ever happened there. Our unit got a special lecture on the incident from our company commander later in the week.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Uh...this article (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_fires.html) cites police reports in two instances blaming a ringing cell phone for starting fires.

It also mentions the "Mythbusters" episode in which the guys were unable to get the cell phone to ignite any vapors. Maybe they had one of the "safe" ones. :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Hey, if you see Zoolander, you'll never pump gas and smoke.

My favorite urban legend is where the Hollywood film company needs a giraffe transported over the freeway in an open trailer to a location. When the giraffe arrives, it has no head as it was sheared off at a low overcrossing. When the driver was confronted, he replied, "Hey, I thought he'd duck."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mvhplank wrote:Uh...this article (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_fires.html) cites police reports in two instances blaming a ringing cell phone for starting fires.
I am still skeptical. It's very hard to nail down the culpret when something like this happens.
It's entirely possible that the person who was answering his phone had recently gotten out
of his car, causing a static buildup, or the motion of his arm bringin the phone to his ear
caused static discharge. It's just hard to tell what caused a discrete static event, but if it
was the cell phone, then it was grossly malfunctioning. Cell phones do not have
spark gaps by design, and are shielded against electromagnetic interference, and therefore,
inductive current is probably not going to happen. I think the cops jumped to conclusions...

The best place to disprove this would probably be New Jersey, where there are always pump
attendants (you can't pump your own gas in NJ -- really good unions there). Every
attendant I ever saw there was on a cell phone the whole time he was pumping my gas.
If they never have a static event, that would convince me...

Anyway, just to be safe, I ground myself by touching the roof of my car whenever I go to
touch the pump handle.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

fearfaoin wrote:I think the cops jumped to conclusions....
NO! I don't believe it. THAT would NEVER happen!!!!! :boggle:

OK, here is the obigatory "sarcasm alert" warning.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

NorCalMusician wrote:OK, here is the obigatory "sarcasm alert" warning.
are we supposed to make this alert whenever we are being sarcastic? I'll have to put it on just about every post... :P
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

fearfaoin wrote:The best place to disprove this would probably be New Jersey, where there are always pump attendants (you can't pump your own gas in NJ -- really good unions there).
I've lived in New Jersey my whole life. My mom, born in NY, didn't learn to drive until she was older and living in Jersey. Neither one of us learned to pump gas. Which makes it diffucult(or mlldly annoying) to visit relatives in NY, as all the gas stations are self serve, except for one lonely Rotary station on the highway. Are there any other states besides NJ that are full serve mandated?
Sometimes going to another state is like going to another country. You can buy beer anywhere. in NY. My uncle couldn't understand how one could not buy beer in the grocery store in this state. I found it odd that beer and wine was so available in NY State.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

mamakash wrote: Sometimes going to another state is like going to another country. You can buy beer anywhere. in NY. My uncle couldn't understand how one could not buy beer in the grocery store in this state. I found it odd that beer and wine was so available in NY State.
Here in Ohio, we can buy harder stuff at the grocery store too (albeit diluted). To get the regular non-diluted harder stuff, you can go to the Convenient Store up the street. That's where the "state approved" liquor store resides, it seems.