C natural on a Clarke

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TootleJester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C natural on a Clarke

Post by TootleJester »

I am playing a Clarke "gold diamond." I haven't been able to check the tuning of my whistle yet, but when I play C nat (oxxooo,oxxxox) it makes my toes curl and my stomach twist. Any ideas, anyone?
To know Him and Him crusified!
Glory forever!
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

I just checked out my Clarke and OXX OOO give a perfect C on the tuner.
I suggest you take two Rennies and try again in the morning. :lol: O'h and get your self some proper fitting shoes :wink:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Newer Clarkes are usually right on with ( o x x | o o o ).

As you have discovered, on older Clarkes, there's no good C-natural available without half-holing.

An alternative many have used is to use Scotch tape to cover the top part of the uppermost tone hole to get ( o x x | o o o ) closer to pitch at the expense of flattening the C-sharp.

--James
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Someone should invent a 'capo' for whistles that you strap on which half holes the Cnat when playing in G.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

I also have a 'gold diamond' black Clarke C that was given to me a while back and it checks against a tuner nearly perfect accross the board.

The C nat. is nearly spot on with OXXOOO.

Mainly I just had to say that for an inexpensive whistle, aside from the overwhelming air requirement, this has one of the most wonderful tones and solid low-ends I've ever played in a Clarke. Get's a LITTLE 'whispy' towards the top, but overall I was really impressed after having played other Clarkes (originals) in the past.

Seeing as how this one is so nice compared to the ohhh I think 4 or 5 others I've played, then I'd say it's just maybe a fluke if you're having that much trouble with it. Time for half-holing I guess! :D

Or as the almighty Scot says... try again in the morning... :lol:

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

They have a capo. It's called tape. I use it on a shaw low d that I couldn't get a c nat out of no way no how. Someone had enlarged the hole to get c sharp right on, leaving no fingering that would give a decent c nat. I covered up part of the first hole. Now I can get a good c nat, and with good support still have a decent c sharp.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.