OT - Lack of Freedom in China

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:My birth name is......Harold.
Now I'm thoroughly confused. I thought you said your name is Gasp.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

dubhlinn wrote:I was plagued with jokes for months afterwards.Every time I played a gig some wag would request "Mary had a little lamb"!

Slan,
D.
:lol: Sorry, Dubhlinn. I'm not really laughing at you, but it is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

TyroneShoelaces wrote:Although this possibly doesn't qualify because they are initials and not an actual first/middle name, let us still not forget that immortal Cornhuskers running back: I. M. Hipp

There was also a far less fortunate kid on my block while growing up whose father, Mister Dover, (yes, you probably guessed it; and yes, this is true) named Ben (Ben Dover). I can only imagine that he has long since changed his name.
In this region of the map, I know a man with the name Dick Hare. He was a professor at Oxford and he's actually written and published several books. He uses his initials though, officially, but all his friends call him Dick.
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Wombat wrote: In this region of the map, I know a man with the name Dick Hare. He was a professor at Oxford and he's actually written and published several books. He uses his initials though, officially, but all his friends call him Dick.
Wombat, I believe Ben always said that his parents intended for the world to call him "Benjamin," but obviously the kids at school had different ideas. Likewise, if I were Mister Hare, I believe I would stress the name "Richard" over that of "Dick".

In the same vein of your post, although I have never actually known anyone with this name, I have seen many references over the years to guys who were named "Mike Hunt".
ever been mugged by a quaker?
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Cranberry wrote: When I adopt them in 10 years, I'm gonna name my little girls Ophelia, Opal, and Ocey. And my boys are gonna be Jerry, Dale, amar, and jim stone. Mabey Bloomfield, if I have that many.
And not a Tyrone in the bunch, I see. But, hey, that's cool. I guess you're just one of those dad's who go for the unusual names like Jerry, Dale and Jim. I just know that I would never saddle my kid with a name like that. Just think of all the taunting that's in store for him from all the Dweezles, Kozmos, and Ogilthorpes in the world. For the sake of your unborn children, use some restraint! :)
ever been mugged by a quaker?
kga26

Post by kga26 »

I chose what I thought was a beautiful traditional and femine name for my daughter....Harriette. Over the years it has been Hatti - which is the name they use for her at school, Harry, Hats, Hattitude, H(my brother in law) Horace (my Stepdad) and her brother calls her Harold! In fact I can't remember the last time anyone did call her by her given name. However, she has now told me that if she ever has a child she intends to call it 'Gollum'. .....Ho Hum.
Shall I compare thee to a summers day?
No, thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Cheers Will, mines a pint !
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

My sister's first married name was "Parker", so, naturally, lots of us were lobbying for her to name her first daughter "Cynthia Ann" (see http://www.lnstar.com/mall/texasinfo/Cy ... Parker.htm).

However, she said that she was afraid people would call her "Cyn", so my niece ended up "Charlotte", instead. (My sister was influenced by a TV show in which a little girl named "Germaine" was referred to as "Germy".)

She slipped a bit with the second daughter, naming her "Georgianne", resulting in her being variously "George", "Georgie", "Georgie Porgie", and "G.E.O.".

Interestingly, both girls ended up attending Cynthia Ann Parker Elementary School in Houston. Meanwhile, my brother named his first daughter "Cynthia Ann", and she was always just "Cindy".
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

When I was at school there was always much talk of Mr and Mrs Pipe naming their son Dwayne. Never met him though :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

eeww eeewww eeewww...not to go totally OT on this OT thread but Dar, that avatar is SCARY!!! Even though I once thought of myself as a budding entomologist (Fabre was my hero), I never liked spiders at all. GROSS!!!!!
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that. You all can continue as before....
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

izzarina wrote:eeww eeewww eeewww...not to go totally OT on this OT thread but Dar, that avatar is SCARY!!! Even though I once thought of myself as a budding entomologist (Fabre was my hero), I never liked spiders at all. GROSS!!!!!
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that. You all can continue as before....
Well, who wouldn't be frightened by a quarter-inch monster like that?
Be careful. You know what they say: "Ruffles have spiders."

(Actually, that's a broken cornstalk in our flowerbed, where I shot her last year. I thought she was cute, playing peek-a-boo with me. Doesn't she have a bit of a Muppet look? I had an assassin bug avatar for a long time, and a mantis after that, and no one complained. I guess I should avoid the shots I got of spiders eating, or the one shedding. Amar was already grossed out by the yellow jacket eating my poor baby mantis on http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... start=1620 earlier this year. A bunch of the babies are on the previous page.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

sorry to seem bug-ignorant here ... but spiders shed??
Jack

Post by Jack »

Spiders shed.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:Spiders shed.
I have a spider shed, but I don't like to go into it much....
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Darwin wrote: I guess I should avoid the shots I got of spiders eating, or the one shedding. Amar was already grossed out by the yellow jacket eating my poor baby mantis on http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... start=1620 earlier this year. A bunch of the babies are on the previous page.)
I don't mind the mantis ones. Mantises are just plain COOL. We always tend to have quite a few in our yard each summer. Just avoid the spiders and their ilk. I know they are supposed to be good, but they are just plain scary :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Spiders shed.
I have a spider shed, but I don't like to go into it much....
Spiders are actually very gorgeous animals. I find something magical in them. When there is one in the house or at school, I never kill it. I take it outside, and oftentimes people have thought I was just plain crazy for doing it, but there is really no point in stomping them dead just because they've come in. And the ones that don't want to go outside (i.e. live in closets) aren't harmful anyway, for the most part.

I'm reminded of a Cranberries lyric that goes, "Leave the cobwebs in the closet, cause tearing them out is just not right!"