Hohner whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Hohner whistle

Post by michael_coleman »

Anybody ever play one of these? I know they make reco#$%s but I have heard they make whistles. I have been really impressed by them as an instrument company. I played a friends Hohner guitar, as well as several others in San Fransisco and was impressed at how quality of an instrument it was despite how inexpensive it was...
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

There was a thread a few months back about these. IIRC they were popular among kwella (?) musicians, but aren't made anymore and are collectors items.
I know what you mean about Honer though, I have a Hohner acoustic bass guitar that is very nice. Full sound, nice finish and binding. When I was shopping around for a bass , the Hohner sounded much better than the Ovation, and was half the price.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I don't think Hohner has been making whistles for a while. You can find used ones floating around. They are tin with square windways, flat blades. Their sound is pure and quiet and really quite nice.

I thought there was a picture of one on the main page. I reviewed one that I had on loan from Cranberry, you might want to run a search of that, I may even had a picture in that review, I don't remember.
/Bloomfield
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

You see them on eBay from time to time. They usually go fort way more than they are worth and usually in the key of C. I have also heard that these are no longer manufactured.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Jack

Post by Jack »

Because they're no longer made, they're rather collectable. They do tend to sell for weird amounts of money, though. I found mine (which another board member currently has) on eBay, in a mixed lot of various types of flutes.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry's Hohner Bb:

Here are two more pictures.

Close-up of window and HOHNER Bb inscription:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/etbloomfiel ... /IMG_2.jpg

Side view of moutpiece:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/etbloomfiel ... G_0003.jpg
/Bloomfield
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Hohner even made a LOW Bb (below low D) a while ago...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 96631&rd=1

(someday, we may learn they even made sarrusasaphones, moldo-valachian taragots, glockenspiels and garklein tubas...)