Beer and Whistles!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Beer and Whistles!!

Post by greenspiderweb »

AAAHHHHHH!
Two of my favorite subjects! BEER! WHISTLES! BEER! WHISTLES! BUURRPP!
The courage to play is sometimes found in the glass, to forget about yourself, and concentrate on making music. It's a fine line for optimum benefit vs impairment, but sometimes, it's worth researching. It works the same with dancing. Partaking brings the courage to get out on the floor, being able to move with the music, but if you go too far, you become the one everyone is pointing at!
Beer has it's benefits and drawbacks like everything else. But I still don't know why it keeps tasting better after each glass!
It's time to celebrate-Oktoberfest beers are starting to show up about now, one of my favorite times of the year!
Aufwiedersehn!
~~~~
Barry
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I know what you mean Barry,there definitley is a dividing line between being able to play.....and thinking you are brilliant :boggle: ......and then making a complete ass of yourself,which I have done on a few occasions :oops:
Just a shame I can't tell when that line is about to be crossed.....probably something to do with the drink :lol:
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

glauber wrote:I don't know... after i partake of a couple pints, it seems to me that the playing of everybody else in the session improves dramatically!
And they look better too :boggle:
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

My "Drug" of choice is <b>Coffee!</b> I find that 6 or 7 pots :boggle: help my speed on those jigs n reels that seem to get faster and faster as the night goes on! (of course the added sugar is a bonus).

<b>COFFEE RULES! BEER DROOLS!</b>
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Of course,another drawback of the beer and whistle combination is the tendancy to lose a whistle which I have already done :x
I still haven't taken my Overton out of the house yet :boggle:
janice

Post by janice »

Here's my sad, sad tale of my inability to mix playing with alcohol:

A couple of years ago, while inviting people to my semi-annual house party/rockin' session, I mistakenly told everyone that the party started at 9:00 (instead of 8, like I always do-with the thinking that you say 8, and everybody shows at 9). I prepared a BIG spread (it was Xmas too, so extra extra amounts of food) which also included my very very special homemade eggnog recipe with lots and lots of whiskey in it.

At 9:00, there was no one there. At 9:15, I was getting antsy...as there was still no one at my house. At 9:40, I was feeing pretty sorry for myself (I threw a party....and NO ONE CAME!), and began drinking as much of that eggnog as possible. Well...everybody showed up at 9:50, got out instruments and the party got going.

I parked myself in a corner next to my friend (favorite fiddler and ex-Glaswegian) Bill, in anticipation of a really good night of tunes etc. But my fingers wouldn't do what I wanted to at all...finally, Bill put his fiddle down, turned to me and said (imagine a thick Scots accent here), "Janice, give it up, you're to-tally f***ked!"

So ends my sad sad tale of playing tunes and drinking alcohol simultaneously. And I still can't do one and the other at the same time. :sniffle:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol:
I suppose a recipe is out of the question,

Slan,
D.
:lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:My "Drug" of choice is <b>Coffee!</b> I find that 6 or 7 pots :boggle: help my speed on those jigs n reels that seem to get faster and faster as the night goes on! (of course the added sugar is a bonus).

<b>COFFEE RULES! BEER DROOLS!</b>
Try chasing that with a glass of Montain Dew for a real caffeine sugar jolt :boggle:
janice

Post by janice »

Unfortunately, I lOST the recipe!!! But it can be duplicated with store bought eggnog...just add 1 gallon of premium vanilla ice cream and however much booze you can take. Sprinkle with nutmeg/cinnamon. Heaven. :D
Whistling Willie

janice wrote:Unfortunately, I lOST the recipe!!! But it can be duplicated with store bought eggnog...just add 1 gallon of premium vanilla ice cream and however much booze you can take. Sprinkle with nutmeg/cinnamon. Heaven. :D
Sounds just the job Janice :D
Teilo

Post by Teilo »

I have not quite experienced losing my whistle (unless you mean metaphorically) on beer, but I have experienced it spontaneously flying out of my fingers in the middle of a tune and landing a couple of feet away. Thankfully, it is an O'Riordan, so it didn't come close to breaking.

I love ale, but rarely make it past 2 pints in a night. After that it's coffee. That seems to strike a balance such that I can continue playing all night. Sometimes my limit is 1.
Teilo who is called Teilo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I tend to agree, there's a fine, fine line between loosening up and looooossssening up. It's somewhere for me between 2-3 pints. Happily if I do go over the line, I'm still happy to sit back and enjoy the music. :lol:
Beoracha

Post by Beoracha »

Being a homebrewer and whistle player trainee 3rd class, I had to put in my megs worth. Sometimes it is best to just put the whistle down. Or at least go where no one can hear you. :party:
"Pipes, fiddles, men of no valour, bone-players and pipe-players; a crowd hideous, noisy, profane, shriekers and shouters"-"The Fair of Carman" in The Book of Leinster, c. 1160 A.D.
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...I've noticed the same problem with the game of Pool. After a few drinks, I'm playing quite well. But, after a few more, forget about it. It's all about finding that thin line between just enough and too much. When it comes to playing music, pool, etc. I think it all boils down to the fact that a few drinks take the edge off. If you're feeling nervous about a performance, then a couple stiff drinks takes care of that. It's just finding the right balance. Because, I know it's easy to keep pourin' the drinks down without really thinking too much about what your doing.
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

Im underage so i cant legally drink :sniffle:

I usually play (and feel) better after a couple of pints :lol:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol: