two keys on one whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jeff Guevin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jeff Guevin »

moxy wrote:There are some B minor tunes that can be played on a D whistle as well, although it's not exactly B minor (what would it be called, if the A is natural instead of sharp?)

Does anybody know a few ITM tunes that are in B minor? We were trying to think of these a few days ago, but we couldn't come up with anything...
In B minor, you'd have

B C# D E F# G A

so it is actually B minor. If you have A#, that's the "harmonic minor", easiest way for squares like me to sound exotic.

In practice a lot of music would temporarily have an A# in order to have a stronger resolution from the V chord to the I chord.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

moxy wrote:Does anybody know a few ITM tunes that are in B minor? We were trying to think of these a few days ago, but we couldn't come up with anything...
Musical Priest, Earl's Chair, at first blush (maybe wrong though, I don't usually think about it).
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Jeff Guevin wrote:In practice a lot of music would temporarily have an A# in order to have a stronger resolution from the V chord to the I chord.
Ugh! Bah! Yuk! Nassssty Western Art Music. Nasssty cadence.

:) Seriously, though. You have to be very careful since that sort of harmonic structure applies only to a very limited degree to ITM (if at all, I've been arguing about that for years with the experts).

True enough in (some) other Music, though.
/Bloomfield
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Yeah, I guess the "modal" sound is part of the appeal of ITM. I did generalize inaccurately, though we should probably include nassssty rock music in there with the artsy stuff.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

If the tune fits the whistle, play it.

I do notes, not keys (not until I get some regulator reeds made, that is..).
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Bloomfield wrote:
moxy wrote:Does anybody know a few ITM tunes that are in B minor? We were trying to think of these a few days ago, but we couldn't come up with anything...
Musical Priest, Earl's Chair, at first blush (maybe wrong though, I don't usually think about it).
Jos's Paper (see post above) mentions The Longford Tinker (Reel)
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Thanks guys for the tunes. I'm going to see if I can learn one or two of them... I know Musical Priest used to be on my "to learn" list, maybe it should make a come-back!