David O'Brien Whistle Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That non-sharpened "blade" thing is interesting.
A while back I was voicing a few whistles and tried playing one or two after I had squared the blade area, but before sharpening it. I was amazed to find that I got a halfway decent sound out of it. Definitely not to my satisfaction, but quite playable.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

jkrazy52 wrote:Nice review, Jessie. :)

I have a Bb whistle, in copper/lucite fipple, of Mr. O'Brien's. I like the tone and the ease of playing, 2 octaves plus. The finish on mine was nice when I first received it. At the moment, I'm blaming kids and polish remover for the nasty streak that developed. And there was an annoying edge on the backside of the mouthpiece I didn't care for ... but sanding fixed that. I'm sure Mr. O'Brien would have fixed it if I had mentioned it to him.

So, in the opinion (FWIW :P) of a complete amateur, a nice whistle. Wouldn't mind having another one, but doubt I'll go the Ebay route again.
Well, wow! Within minutes of when I posted the above, David had PM'ed me concerning the minor problems I had. My 2nd O'Brien will soon be on it's way. Thanks, David! Impressive. :thumbsup:

~Judy
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

David,
Just to go off at a tangent...is that you in the cool Panama?
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Yes. Is that you with the halo?
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

It's an old picture, I'm younger than that now. And sadly, the halo's slipped a little. Well, quite a lot really!!
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I am sending the whistle onto Dave Deegan in Lincolnshire, that is the next label in the box. Is this correct?
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

David and I exchanged instruments a while ago in a mutual bonding sort of thing between whistle-makers! I will generally underpin all the positive comments that have been made on this thread. As a maker, I too was facinated by the way David has flown in the face of convention with his windway design. Maybe he should call his whistles the Bumblebee as this too defies the laws of Physics! (don't go there, I remember the last thread on the subject of the bumblebee and whether it should or shouldn't fly!)

I personally prefer a whistle with a little more backpressure than David's and some of my fellow testers said that for them it was too easy to blow. That aside, his whistles are a thing of beauty and I love mine!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

DaveAuty wrote:I am sending the whistle onto Dave Deegan in Lincolnshire, that is the next label in the box. Is this correct?

:oops:
That is correct Dave.
I received it this morning in pristine condition and am enjoying it a lot.
( Thanks for blowing my cover. Instead of buying whistles I'll have to blow all my money on more plastic surgery and another forged passport,not to mention all the hassle of relocating to another safe house)

Slan,
Abraham McAbraham Snr.
:wink:
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

dubhlinn wrote:
( Thanks for blowing my cover. Instead of buying whistles I'll have to blow all my money on more plastic surgery and another forged passport,not to mention all the hassle of relocating to another safe house)
:wink:
At least one of these whistles will only cost about the same as a visit to a NHS dentist in UK and last a lot longer!!
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Jetboy wrote:As a maker, I too was facinated by the way David has flown in the face of convention with his windway design. Maybe he should call his whistles the Bumblebee as this too defies the laws of Physics! (don't go there, I remember the last thread on the subject of the bumblebee and whether it should or shouldn't fly!)

!
I was quite amazed at the fact that the ones I got played at all, due to the unique blade design (which, as you mention, isn't a blade at all).
This stuff always makes me cross. I thought up the Q1 A year ago and have now made and sold 350 of them.
The Q1 has no sharp blade.
Even the great Bloomfield has one and reviewed here on C&F
The way the whistle is made is the same as our Standard tuneable whistle
I am not so much unhappy about the copying thing, but more about Credit where credit is due.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=alba+q1
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Just for the record, I started making whistles without sharp blades in 1996 and I've never seen an Alba whistle.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

And, in my not-so-humble opinion, the Alba does not have the pure tone that the O'Brien does have. It's the pure tone that makes this amazing.
~JessieD
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Seriously now, does someone here think they were the first to make a decent fipple flute using a seriously dull labium edge?!? :really: The fipple flute is Oooollld - There is very little (if anything) we come up with that hasn't been done (well or better) before. Reality check time. :roll:

Loren
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

JessieK wrote:And, in my not-so-humble opinion, the Alba does not have the pure tone that the O'Brien does have. It's the pure tone that makes this amazing.
How would you know :o
and just for the record I have been making whistle since 1990
And I have never heard of O,Brien.
The fipple flute is Oooollld - There is very little (if anything) we come up with that hasn't been done (well or better) before. Reality check time
Realy I didn't know that :o :lol:
Supose you could say that about car but i think you will find awee bit of a differance between a model T and todays cars :roll: same with whistles :P
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Breathy or not, you can't play the silly thing if it clogs. I've never had my Q1 clog. I love that albanite stuff!!

Best,

Little John