Recommendation for a Fife Book?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
docrrnmwp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recommendation for a Fife Book?

Post by docrrnmwp »

6/26/04

Dear All: I need a recommendation from a fife-player with respect to a good do-it-yourself Fife Book, available by mail-order. (I'll gladly order over the phone but am wary about inputting my VISA # on-line.)

I can now always create enough embouchure to get the sound going, but it tends to be squawky & I can't get beyond the first octave. Also, I've read & written music for many decades. I have a lovely, well-made fife that two of my kids have played well (it's in "D"), but I seem to be stuck at the "pre-beginner" stage.

Incidentally, I play a variety of guitars, the chromatic harmonica, & several pennywhistles well.

Tnx much for your recommendation!

Cheers, Daniel O'Connell (Rio Rancho, NM USA)
Daniel O'Connell, Rio Rancho, NM
================================
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Dave Migoya's website has a Fife manual for sale either in PDF or book, go here:

http://www.fyfer-restorations.com/

Dave played the Fife for years and answer all your questions.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fife Method Book

Post by waltsweet »

I take it to mean that you need a fife method book.
I really admire George ("Randy") Kusel's book, The Martian Musician's Mentor because it talks to the student, give pictures, coaching, is very personable and manageable. The tunes used are historical (if you like that sort of thing). If it's not in print, please hound Randy to get it back in print, or find someone who has a copy to sell you.
My dad wrote The Fifer's Delight, in part, to teach my brothers, my sister, and me back in the 60s. His model is similar to Suzuki, in that the learner starts with tunes that are already familiar, then turning that musical sense into fifing skill. It's very developmental, introducing just a few simple notes, then the third octave, and moving into tunes that are commonly shared among fifers at large today. The back of the book has a lot of fiddle tunes, only some of which are really "fifeable".
Even The Drummers' and Fifers' Guide by Bruce and Emmett, first distributed in 1862, has a crash course for fifing at the beginning. Only a few of the tunes are played very much.
Music of '76 is a cool little book, although out of print.
My book, The Bread and Butter of Jamming has many common tunes, with harmonies, drumbeats and historical notes. The book was reissued by Mel Bay as Complete Music for Fife and Drum with CD. Instructions are not included.
The Company of Fifers and Drummers has several compendia of music books for fife and drum. They also sell recordings.