OT: Who's playing Mandolin out there?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I learned a few tunes on the mando many years, but gave it up after battling my no name, imported, piece of junk mandolin for a while. I swear I don't think King Kong would have been strong enough to play a full G chord on that thing, let alone move it up the neck. Anyway, I just acquired a used Tacoma M2 (this is the spot where you get to rag on me now Laughlin), and hope to get back into the mando a little bit again.

I'm just curious how many players we have here on the list. I'd also be interested to hear how often you play at sessions and what the response (from the other players) is. Also looking for good tab, and instructional sites - aside from Mandolin Cafe which is wonderful.

ATB,

Loren
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

Hey Loren,

I just recently picked up a Weber mandolin off of eBay and I'm now looking for the same info you are. I've been having fun trying some of the whistle tunes on the mando.

I'll probably be ordering some books/cd and/or a video in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know if I come up with anything that might be useful. I've learned some from the Hal Leonard Mandolin Method by Rich DelGrosso. It came with a cassette that allows me to do some duet stuff.

Can't answer the questions about session work. I haven't found any in southwest Iowa. Have fun with your new instrument.

jim
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey, cool Jim,

Have fun with the new toy! Which model Weber did you end up with? My new mando won't arrive in the mail for several days, so I'm suffering from M.A.D. - Mandolin Anticipation Disorder.

Thanks for the info on the book. I had the Tottle book way back when - it used to come with one of those floppy little plastic "records" inside, so you could put it on your turntable and hear Jack play the tunes. Unfortunately, I need a new copy and now there's no recording available at all. Hmph. Oh well, it's been a long time since I actually owned a record player anyway...

My cassette player just gave up the ghost a few days ago, so I guess it's videos or books with CD's for me from now on...

I'll let you know if I find any interesting links or other sources of useful info.

Cheers,

Loren
livethe question

I got the Bridger. I've been wanting one for a while and when this one came up on eBay I decided to go for it and. Darned old credit card.....a blessing and a curse, I never can tell which. Fred Rose is putting my whistle in the mail tomorrow so while I'll have to be frugal for several months, I will at least not be lusting after whistles or stringed instruments during that time......I hope.

Have you checked out the books and videos at Elderly Instruments?

take care

jim
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Awhile ago I bought an old Martin mandolin,
and played around with it.
Then I lent it to some street musician friends who put
it on top of their van while
traveling--it rained, the case was
flooded, the finish came off the
sides and one side is cracked.
Recently I've taken it out and
played it a bit again. It's hard to
look at the thing in its present state.
I've considered repairing it, but
I'm kinda broke, etc.

There seems to be a whole lot of good
instructional material for mandolin,
at least at my level of incompetence.
How to play Mandolin! by Jack Tottle
is good but very basic.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Geeze Jim,

That's really sad! What a shame, I hear those old Martin's are nice little mandolins.

Yeah, I did check out Elderly's selection - it's a bit overwhelming though. Hopefully I can get some feedback on which instructional materials give the most bang for the buck. I'll report back later.

BTW Jim, did you make that trip to Nashville?

Loren
MikeClem

Post by MikeClem »

Hey Loren,

I also have a no-name imported piece-of-junk mando. I practice on it regularly but would never take it out in public. I've gotten into the habit of learning tunes both on whistle and on mando. At some point I should probably sell off a guitar or two (yes, guitar players suffer from their own variety of Whoa) and get a decent mando and maybe another whistle.

MC
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mike,

Wow man, you must have fingers of steel. Do yourself a favor and get something decent would ya :smile: It is tough when you have to start selling some instruments to buy others though, isn't it? I guess I'm lucky: I'm happy with one acoustic and one electric guitar. Hopefully one mandolin too. I do feel the need for about three flutes though.....However, it's the darn whistles that really get me. Still, compared with guitars and mandos, even the expensive whistles are almost dirt cheap.

BTW, I'm looking forward to learning some of these whistle tunes on mandolin as well. Any tunes you've learned so far that translate particularly well?

Loren
livethe question

Hi Loren,

It's me again, the other jim. I'm still mostly in the slower whistle tunes but the ones I'm currently practicing are: Si Beag Si Mor, The King of the Faeries, The Foggy Dew, Swallowtail Jig, and Ashokan Farewell. I'll send the music along with the mando stuff.

Namasté

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2002-01-02 00:24 ]</font>
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hi Loren,

Some years ago my house got robbed, and all my electronic equipment stolen (synthesizer, amps, multitrack, electric bass, effects)...
No more music for me I thought, since the insurance return was scandalously low.

Then a friend gave me a mandolin - A Hohner with a big belly.
So I taught myself to play some chords on it.

When I met Jens Hoppe here in Denmark I joined the band he plays with - they found out that i have a mandolin and presumed I can play it.
So that's what I do on our sessions: trying to find the chords the guitar is playing and attempring to keep up with the rhythm :smile:

I have tried to play some melodies on it (King of the Fairies). I think it would be nice to play some of the tunes on Mando as well as whistle - but my practice time goes into whistle (sorry to my session mates :grin:)

Still it's a nice instrument to play.
(there are pictures on Jens' site)

Cheers,
Jeroen
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Hey Loren,

The leader of our session here plays the mandolin. It fits in very nicely. I'm not a mandolin player, but from what I can tell, he plays it well.

So, that makes two sessions in the world where the Mandolin is accepted (but not American Express).

Erik
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I play a bit of mando myself. I have an A model Kentucky which I got second hand. Not the best in the world, but good enough for me considering that I play whistle a LOT more.
BTW-- I have a nice old Rex mando that I would like to sell for $100. Anyone can e-mail for details. Terrific beginners mando.
Mandolin is very well accepted in sessions around the Albany NY area, and really adds sparkle to a tune.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cj

Post by cj »

I play mando, or at least attempt to. I too have learned some from the Hal Leonard method. I play some country/rock stuff with a jam group--Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams. Luckily I can do some simpler stuff since the bluegrass speed hasn't come yet (and probably won't in my lifetime!) I just love the instrument, and my jam group likes the additional sound it makes, even if I just plunk some chords and do some simple leads.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I'm seriously considering adding a mandolin to my repertoire. As a violinist/fiddler, I think the transition should be fairly easy. Don't want to spend a lot of money, but don't want cheap either: affects ability to play.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I only plink on mando, but my husband loves playing them. We play all kinds of trad/Irish stuff. It sounds great with whistles and is easy to carry around. For websites, check out http://www.co-mando.com. Mandos are kind of hard to find, but patience pays. We got a nice one off ebay eventually.