Whitecap on a Generation Brass D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rkottke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whitecap on a Generation Brass D

Post by rkottke »

:D I am strongly considering getting a Whitecap for one of my Generation Brass D whistles. I currently have one sweet untweaked and two tweaked brass Generation D whistles. One of the tweaked plays nicely and other I 'over' tweaked. Since the 'over' tweaked whistle played so-so before I over tweaked the fipple, I am considered getting the Whitecap for it. The barrels on all three whistles have never been modified, and as close as I can measure, they are identical. I would like to get other's opinions of replacing the over tweaked fipple with the Whitecap.
WilliamC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

I highly recommend that you replace the fipple with a Whitecap. I did the exact same thing to a Gen D, sanded too much off the blade and made it unplayable. Replaced that fipple with a Whitecap and now I have a pure, sweet sounding whistle.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Go for it!

Be aware, owever, that the resultant combo will not be a Generation but a Hoover. From my POV, that's a fine thing, but not all agree.
meir

Post by meir »

the hoover, if you are not familiar, is very sweet but takes very little air compared to whistles you are familiar with. extremely easy second octave.

i strongly suggest that if you do it, you send mr. hoover the tube, rather than just ordering the whitcap and putting it on yourself. if macke does not have access to the tube the whitecap may not fit perfectly and will not be tunable in practice. also, he may fine tune the fipple if necessary.

meir
rkottke

meir

Post by rkottke »

Thanks to all the advice, I have decided to get a Whitecap. I have contacted Mack Hoover and made arrangement of doing a 'tube' exchange. I have to wait until July, but even if I would have to wait until August, that would be fine. Just from is reputation on this message board and his answer to by emails, he seems to be a great, quality person! :)
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My Whitecap on a Gen tube is a great practice whistle--quiet and sweet. I have one on an Oak tube also and that's a little louder and breathier.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I agree that once you put a whitecap onto a Gen brass tube, it no longer sounds like a Gen, but a Hoover. However, you can ask Mack to make the whitecap with more volume. I asked for one, and it's fine. It's nowhere near Susato volume, but it would be appropriate in a session (admittedly I don't play with a lot of people), or for playing with my church band (albeit near a microphone).
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

tuaz wrote:you can ask Mack to make the whitecap with more volume. I asked for one, and it's fine.
Is the tone much different from the standard quiet, pure Hoover sound? Is it breathier, reedier, edgier, or anything? Is the playability the same (besides the fact that I assume it takes a bit more breath.)
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

BoneQuint wrote:
tuaz wrote:you can ask Mack to make the whitecap with more volume. I asked for one, and it's fine.
Is the tone much different from the standard quiet, pure Hoover sound? Is it breathier, reedier, edgier, or anything? Is the playability the same (besides the fact that I assume it takes a bit more breath.)
Hmmm. It's still fairly pure-sounding when compared to the gritty Gen sound. But I think it's (ie, my newer whitecap for Gen D) edgier and chiffier than my 2 much older whitecaps (for Gen C and Bb). Those were really clean and pure. Trad tunes sounded weird on them, in my opinion. My newer whitecap sounds quite ok with trad tunes, altho I still prefer the Gen redtop. I not sure what you mean by playability, but it plays like a normal Gen/Feadog-type D whistle, not like Mack's narrow bore brass, where breath control is absolutely essential.

I'm not that convinced Mack still has a "standard quiet pure Hoover sound" now, though. In the past, he made only his brass whistles, and those were what gave him the reputation for making pure quiet whistles. I have an old brass narrow bore C, and it lives up to that rep.

But I also have a wide bore, large-holed CPVC B that is LOUD and breathy, as well as a narrow bore CPVC B (a gift from Mack) that is softer and very pure. My low CPVC D is soft but not pure; it sounds like a breathy Irish flute (I have a clip of me playing Sliabh Russell on the latter on Clips and Snips).

Give me a few days, maybe a week. I'll see if I can post something to Clips and Snips on my newer whitecap for Gen D, or some sort of comparison clip.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Bonequint, I've posted some comparison clips up at Clips and Snips now.

Just to clarify, though, that in the Rose in the Heather clip, the jig is played first on the Gen redtop (on Feadog tube), then on the Whitecap (on Gen brass tube).

Volume-wise, the Gen redtop is only VERY slightly louder, if at all, and it's grittier. However, the whitecap's sound is not totally pure either. The difference - to the listener - is more obvious for the 2 clips where I've recorded close to the mike.

Playability-wise: it is noticeable to me that my Gen redtop has slightly more backpressure/resistance, so I can lean into notes more than on the whitecap. But again, it's not a vast difference.