Received my Whitecap today

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jim Wright
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Received my Whitecap today

Post by Jim Wright »

Had a surprise today - received my Whitecap from Mack ... tried it on some of my homemade pipes and wow.... what a difference.

To new to really evaluate but notes are clean and clear and easily jumps to second octave.

All of the reviews I read praised Mack's work and so do I.

Add my name to the "very pleased" list.

Jim
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Here's my evaluation:
Pure tone
Quiet
Needs good breath control, more than any whistle known to man.

I stuck mine onto an Oak barrel. I find it useful for practicing because it's quite and it's fairly demanding. If you can sound good (no unwanted squeeks and squawks) on a Whitecap you can switch to almost any other whistle and sound good.

This sounds like a criticism of Hoover.

Yes...it is.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Jim Wright

Received my whitecap today

Post by Jim Wright »

Now that is really encouraging - I knew that I was getting better on breath control but didn't know I was that good. :D

I have no squaks or squeaks ... or maybe I was just lucky but my wife likes it .. says I can play it in the den .. even when she is in there!

Now that is progress in my book.

Happy camper,

Jim
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have played several Hoover whistles in various keys and designs, they all play quite well for me.

I've not found the breath control to be unusually difficult; in fact, I have found them responsive and similar to Burkes in terms of volume, air, and response, with the one qualification that while both are very pure whistles, Burkes are a bit purer, with the Hoovers having just a tiny bit of a biting edge in the sound.

I have quite a few recordings of several Hoovers here:

http://www.flutesite.com/hoover.htm

--James
DebbieM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by DebbieM »

E=Fb,
I wonder if something's wrong with your Whitecap. I haven't heard anyone else having the trouble you're having with any of the Hoovers. Maybe you should talk with Mack about it.

I put my Whitecap on a Feadog and was amazed at the transformation. It was beautiful. I haven't had any problems with squawking. And if anything, mine is almost too easy to play -- not demanding in the least (not a complaint -- it's like I can't do anything wrong with it -- it's still going to sound good!). I just received a Hoover Whitecap low D a few days ago, and am just as delighted with it. The tone is beautiful and pure, and both octaves -- even several notes into the third octave -- are very easy to play. I'm on the "very pleased" list as well. :D

Debbie
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

E = Fb wrote:Here's my evaluation:
Pure tone
Quiet
Needs good breath control, more than any whistle known to man.

I stuck mine onto an Oak barrel. I find it useful for practicing because it's quite and it's fairly demanding. If you can sound good (no unwanted squeeks and squawks) on a Whitecap you can switch to almost any other whistle and sound good.

This sounds like a criticism of Hoover.

Yes...it is.
The only time I had a problem with squawks on a Whitecap it turned out that condensation had dried in the airway. You couldn't really see it, but washing it out solved the problem. Every couple of months, I stick it in a glass of water for a few minutes and then blow it out while covering the window.

Of course, it depends on how much you drool when you play.

I never noticed a problem with breath control. I think it depends on what other instruments you've played. I think a lot of players blow harder or with more air than necessary if they play clarinets or other more demanding instruments. With a whitecap I often have to find a place to exhale since it uses so little air.

Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

E=Fb: I play Hoovers and Burkes in lots of venues. A number of the Hoovers are Whitecaps. I have never found either maker to create instruments that were difficult to control. To the contrary, one of the reasons I chose them, was because of their superior dependability and ease of playing. I agree that you may have a defective Whitecap. Please contact Mack. He will make it right.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
meir

Post by meir »

i recently got my whitecap. of all my whistles, it is tied for #1 with the burke- burke for louder sound and for sessions, whitecap when i want it quieter.

i am primarily learning pipes and not whistle. my breath control is the crappiest on earth. i have no difficulty at all with the whitecap- i just automatically remind myself to whisper into it.

what IS different about the burke from my other whistles is that (and i bought it with mack's tube) the c nat is fingered x00 00 x rather than
x00 xxx (if i have my x and o reversed sorry but you know what i mean). but this to, i adapted to easily.

i think the whitecap is amazing, more so for the price.

meir
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I'll have to chime in and say that my Whitecap-Feadog D and Whitecap aluminum A are both very easy to play. They do have rather low air requirements and are quiet, so I do have to adjust when coming to either one directly from the Busman or the Burke, or I can over-blow in the second octave. I wouldn't characterize that as needing good breath control--just good self control, to avoid playing too hard. If I relax with them, they present no more difficulties than any of my other whistles. (Of course, I'm a rank beginner, so perhaps I just don't recognize the difficulties that can occur at higher levels of playing.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Maeloc
Tell us something.: I love Emer Mayock, Matt Molloy, Jean Michel Veillon and Michael McGoldrick playing. My favourite flute makers are Hammy Hamilton and Solen Lesouef

Post by Maeloc »

just a question, How do these sound compared with a Sindt?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

In fairness to E = Fb what is being said is not untrue, just a matter of perception and style. What he sees as a defect is the very trait many of us are looking for.

Pure, sweet and low air are great things for those of us who play alone or like to play a slower and more pastoral style. I am absolutely in love with my two Whitecaps, and since I don't want to sacrifice either by combo by moving the head about, I imagine I'll eventually have more. For me, there is no equivalent other than my Silkstone and I'll freely admit that even I have breath control problems and often overblow a Hoover Narrow Bore brass D.

BUt if you like loud and fast and are one of those who loves leaning into a whistle and forcing rather than coaxing the melody from it, one who doesn't think an Overton is hard to blow in the upper octave and thinks a Susato is just about the perfect volume, I can see where you'd have serious issues with a Hoover Whitecap.

All taste and style, folks. No one's wrong, everybody's just different.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Funny - I've heard (and played) many many whitecaps and never found one of them to be timid and squeaky. I've spent many hours with Mack in his shop working on and trying out new tweaks here and there and while there were certainly some designs that were still in need of some tuning up so to speak, all that I've ever seen, heard or played that left his shop seemed to be solid enough.

I think the Cillian O'Briein improved Feadóg I got from Steve Power at Shanna Quay has been by far the touchiest whistle I've ever played. But the trade off was one of the best in-tune and whistle-esque tones I've ever heard in this mortal life! Bus still miles away from the Hoovers as far as playability.

If you're finding difficulties with yours E=Fb, you should drop Mack a line. I'd think he could either re-voice or replace yours to suit your needs. It wouldn't hurt ya anyway...

And I agree with Chuck here - nobody's wrong...just different. If ya like a louder tone (and all that that implies) ask for one when you order and ye shall receive! :)
Digger

Post by Digger »

I second what Brian Lee said. I spent a couple of hours with Mack in his workshop a few weeks ago while he tweaked up a couple of whitecaps for me. I think if one were to watch the process they would understand why there is variation in Mack's whistles. This is why it is nice to actually be present in the shop, try the whistle, and give him constant feedback while he makes continual small modifications until the desired result is achieved. If this is not possible (as it clearly is not for most buyers) simply send the whistle back with an explanation of the problem and Mack is sure to make it better.

Incidentally, the C whitecap I bought from him is the sweetest I've ever played, possessing a pure tone with a delicate overtone floating above. The D is good too, but more traditional sounding, slightly chiffy.

Rand
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

The Whitecap is perfect for playing at home when you don't want to bother others.

But when practicing alongside my wife who plays a Celtic harp, it's not loud enough. Even against that one small harp the Whitecap is too quiet for her to hear me.

The Whitecap is also great for "noodling" at a session. I wear a wide brim hat and turn the whistle towards my good ear and I can hear myself without worrying that I'm distrubing others.

In general I like a whistle that has backpressure. My Whitecap has very little. It also has very low breath requirements. (I joke about the Hoover vacuun cleaner...you almost have to suck) But on the other hand, that low breath requirement forces me to watch my breathing.

I think of the Whitecap as my practice whistle. As such it gets a lot of use.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Paul

Post by Paul »

I just got a whitecap today from Mack with which I am going to make a C#. For now I am using it on my blowtorched Generation C body. It plays nicely now. Very little air needed, consistent through both octaves. The tube is dark golden at the top where the metal is scorched. he whole thing looks really cool.