OT? Benefit for Jerry O'Sullivan June 17 Tara Circle Yonkers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT? Benefit for Jerry O'Sullivan June 17 Tara Circle Yonkers

Post by Wizzer »

An all-star benefit concert to help defray the medical costs of uilleann piper, flutist and whistler Jerry O’Sullivan will be held at The Tara Circle, 1061 N. Broadway in Yonkers, on Thursday, June 17th. Jerry has been at the very heart of the traditional Irish music scene in New York for many years, and is always the first to help when a member of the community needs it. A gifted performer, he has worked with many groups in the area as well enjoying an enviable career as a solo artist. He has amassed a substantial discography with appearances on over sixty albums. He has been a music teacher for many years at The Tara Circle and many Irish arts weekends, and has always been happy to share his time and talent.

Performing at the concert will be Joanie Madden and Cherish the Ladies, the Eileen Ivers Band, Robbie O’Connell, John Whelan, James Keane, Morning Star, Mike and Mary Rafferty, Donal Clancy, Gabe Donohue, Marie Reilly, Patty Furlong, and many others. Dermot Henry will serve as master of ceremonies. The evening will begin with a children’s performance at 6:30 PM, followed by the concert at 7 pm. For further information, call 914-964-9060 or visit http://www.taracircle.org/.

In addition to the concert, there will be a raffle which will continue throughout the summer with some fabulous gifts, and an auction to be held on eBay which will include prized musical instruments.

If you are unable to join us for the concert but would like to make a donation, checks should be made payable to “Jerry O’Sullivan Benefit Fund”, and mailed to

Jerry O’Sullivan Benefit Fund
c/o Dara M. Kane
479 Park Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-2121.
Paypal accout will be posted shortly

If you know anyone who is a fan of Irish music and might be willing to help, please forward this message.

Phil
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Wizzer,
Thanks for posting this information. What happened to Jerry?
PT
Wizzer

Jerry O'Sullivan

Post by Wizzer »

Jerry was diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer last year. He has gone thru his chemo and now has a very shinny bald head.
He is going in tomorrow for surgery to remove some Lymph nodes and will have about a 6 week recovery from that surgery. With three young children it has been a difficult time as you can imagine.
Jerry was always the first to go when other needed him giving selflessly off his time and talent. He has been associated with the Tara Circle for many years as a teacher and providing talent for their events.
Jerry now is the one in need and we hope to be able to help smooth over this rough period in his life. If you have ever met Jerry you will understand the affection that his friends and admirers have for him not just for his talent but also for the man he is.
Wizzer

Good news

Post by Wizzer »

Jerry had surgery on Friday and they left him with a zipper down his chest but, the lymph nodes were clear and the prognosis is good.
His wife and 4 children are extremely happy and Jerry. Well let say he will be happy when he is out of pain. He need about 6 weeks to recover from the surgery and we should be able to have him at the event.
Wizzer

reminder

Post by Wizzer »

c/o Dara M. Kane
479 Park Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-2121.
Wizzer

bump

Post by Wizzer »

We will be holding the even this Thursday evening if you can make it please do if not you can send a donation. Make checks payable to Jerry O’Sullivan Benefit Fund
c/o Dara M. Kane
479 Park Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-2121.

We will be setting up an e-bay auction for instruments donated in a short while and our Raffle will be going on until September for some great prizes. Paypal is set up and will be included when we have our auction set up.
Phil Armstrong
Wizzer

Thank You

Post by Wizzer »

The committee running the Benefit would like to thank all those who attended and made generous donations.
For those who could not attend you missed a spectacular night.
First we had torrential rains that forced us to move the event inside Alder Manor instead of the lawn. The event was staged in the two large rooms (25 x 50 I believe and now you know why it was a manor) The rain ceased in time for people to make it from the Parking lot to the Manor House.
Almost any one on the ITM circuit in the North east who could make it was there even with the some roads being flooded out. I do not think there is enough room to start a list of the musicians and artist in attendance. This was a real tribute to Jerry who was present with his family and they were overwhelmed with the great support displayed.
As I reflect back I am amazed so many made the efforts to get to the event. Jerry is a great guy who has always been there when other needed him and it is obvious that many in the ITM community felt a great need to support and give something back and help him thru this tough path.
The weather did however not allow us to reach our goal for the evening but we are still raising funds.
Our Raffle sales will be on going until September 12 2004 and our auctions for instruments that have been generously donated will be announced very soon. We will have some very fine instruments so please keep your eyes open for the announcement.
Wizzer

Thank You

Post by Wizzer »

The committee running the Benefit would like to thank all those who attended and made generous donations.
For those who could not attend you missed a spectacular night.
First we had torrential rains that forced us to move the event inside Alder Manor instead of the lawn. The event was staged in the two large rooms (25 x 50 I believe and now you know why it was a manor) The rain ceased in time for people to make it from the Parking lot to the Manor House.
Almost any one on the ITM circuit in the North east who could make it was there even with the some roads being flooded out. I do not think there is enough room to start a list of the musicians and artist in attendance. This was a real tribute to Jerry who was present with his family and they were overwhelmed with the great support displayed.
As I reflect back I am amazed so many made the efforts to get to the event. Jerry is a great guy who has always been there when other needed him and it is obvious that many in the ITM community felt a great need to support and give something back and help him thru this tough path.
The weather did however not allow us to reach our goal for the evening but we are still raising funds.
Our Raffle sales will be on going until September 12 2004 and our auctions for instruments that have been generously donated will be announced very soon. We will have some very fine instruments so please keep your eyes open for the announcement.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Great work, Wizzer. I feel lucky to have heard him play before....My very best crans on low D come from imitating him playing New Mown Meadow on the pipes.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wizzer

Good news for you.

Post by Wizzer »

The Weekenders wrote:Great work, Wizzer. I feel lucky to have heard him play before....My very best crans on low D come from imitating him playing New Mown Meadow on the pipes.
Jerry is in recovery and hopefully you with the release of his new CD (that was delayed by the illness) you will have something greater to aspire to.
Knowing Jerry and the man he is I'm sure that this experience and the out pouring of support and friendship will go a long way in inspiring him to achieve even greater heights with his talent.
If only you could have been there to see the glow on his face as he greeted well wishers. His wife Francis and the four kids were amazed at the friendship, respect and admiration that Jerry has developed in the ITM community.
Phil
Wizzer

Good news for you.

Post by Wizzer »

The Weekenders wrote:Great work, Wizzer. I feel lucky to have heard him play before....My very best crans on low D come from imitating him playing New Mown Meadow on the pipes.
Jerry is in recovery and hopefully you with the release of his new CD (that was delayed by the illness) you will have something greater to aspire to.
Knowing Jerry and the man he is I'm sure that this experience and the out pouring of support and friendship will go a long way in inspiring him to achieve even greater heights with his talent.
If only you could have been there to see the glow on his face as he greeted well wishers. His wife Francis and the four kids were amazed at the friendship, respect and admiration that Jerry has developed in the ITM community.
Phil