HELP!!! KEY-RELATED QUESTION

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

HELP!!! KEY-RELATED QUESTION

Post by pthouron »

I am almost ashamed of my lack of theory knowledge... but... A friend asked me to play some whistle on a song of his. Gave me a track yesterday. The song is written in A, all my whistles are Ds. I suspected it wouldn't work out, and it doesn't (not without half-holing every other note, which is way beyond my capabilities).
What key would I need to be able to play on this song? I want to say A or G, but I need confirmation.

Thanks in advance,

PT
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Patrick, if you want to play in A major, you can use a whistle in E (not E flat, just E).
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

claudine wrote:Patrick, if you want to play in A major, you can use a whistle in E (not E flat, just E).
Merci Claudine. Sans toi, je me serais plante! :)
glauber

Post by glauber »

There seems to be more problems than just the key. With a D whistle, the only note you'd have to half-hole for the key of A would be the G#, and that's one of the easier notes to get. Or depending on the song, you could even get a cool effect by playing the G naturals instead of sharp (A mixolydian). But if you're half-holing every other note, this melody may have a lot of accidentals in it, and may not work well on the whistle anyway.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You can also us your D whistle and play the extra sharp ( D is in 2 #'s (F# and C#) and A is in 3 #'s (add a G#)).

The scale starts on A (duh) and you half hole or cross finger to get a G#. G# is fairly easy to half hole.

For more information you can go to the main page and go to the Deciphering Whistle Keys page.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whistlekeys.html

It gives the vast majority of key transitions and fingerings for them.

Good luck,
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
bjs

Post by bjs »

This may help:

http://www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/~bjs/key-change.jpg

Find A in the middle block since the actual sound is in A. Look on the left for the accidentals that you can cope with and find which whistle to pick up at the top. For A though its probably going to be your bog standard D whistle and play the g# cross fingered or half holed. Alternatives would be an E whistle or a B whistle - whistles most of us don't have.

Brian
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

bjs wrote:...For A though its probably going to be your bog standard D whistle and play the g# cross fingered or half holed. Alternatives would be an E whistle or a B whistle - whistles most of us don't have.

Brian
Dare I suggest a low A - this is one of my favorite Burke "sewer pipe" whistles :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

What's the range of the tune? And are there any g# in it at all?

The point being, you may be all set with a D whistle. Also, the g# is not that hard to half-hole. Especially in the upper octave xxo xxo will give you a pretty good g# on many whistles (or sometimes xxo xoo).
/Bloomfield
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Thanks all!
Of course, I could also ask him to transpose the song into a more friendly key...
:)