WHY ARE THESE SMILIES HERE???!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

snotjello wrote:
Wombat wrote:Seriously, what would you make of someone who watched the Chaplin movie every day? What do you make of people who fill their houses with Nazi memorabilia?
I think obsession about anything is unhealthy for a person, but it's none of my business, unless of course their obsession is to harm me. It may be distasteful to me and it might cause me to avoid their company, but that's my choice. If there are going to be people with such fascinations, I'd much rather them wear the t-shirt so I know who they are.
Well, I didn't ask what you'd do about them, I asked what you'd make of them. It sounds to me like you'd regard them as pretty sick. That was precisely my point.

You seem to be suggesting, though, that what makes them sick is their obsessiveness rather than the particular content of their obsession. I don't accept that. I don't see any harm in collecting model trains, or barbed wire (yes, people do) or whistles. I am not so happy about people obsessed with Nazi memorabillia. But I didn't say I'd want to ban it or act against them. I might not shun them for that alone; I might be curious to know what was behind the obsession.

Since nobody here is using, let alone abusing, the emoticons in question, the issue of how you or I would treat them hasn't yet arisen.
snotjello wrote:
Wombat wrote:I think this joke would have been funny enough for about a fortnight but after that it runs the risk of normalising something we shouldn't think of that way.
Maybe a little desensitization can be a good thing; it thickens the skin. I don't believe, however, that it necessarily dulls the wits. I'd rather not be the kind who trembles every time something displeases me, because to appear undaunted (or even not to notice) can be the most frustrating thing to an offender.
If you don't want me butting in telling collectors of Nazi memorabillia they are sick, what business have you telling Jews and others offended by the emoticons that they are too thin skinned and prescribing a remedy? Also, if you don't think that ethnic stereotyping and abuse could be part of the life of this board, check out a thread a couple of years ago on travellors, a clan from which I'm also descended. There have been other isolated incidents when Native Americans have been stereotyped and gratuitously insulted. You would also notice that all of us (who were targets by implication) replied with considerably more self control and restraint than those doing the stereotyping. So, I'm not saying that you might not have a point about strategies in the passage I quoted—I think you do—I'm just saying that you're not being consistent.

In any event, you did take me somewhat out of context. I made it clear that I wasn't advocating anything more than self censorship and that I accept that Rich makes the rules around here. I simply thought that several people were missing the point of Paul's objection and I still do.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Walden wrote: The other side: ImageImageImage
Bless you, Walden!
Wombat wrote: I made it clear that I wasn't advocating anything more than self censorship and that I accept that Rich makes the rules around here. I simply thought that several people were missing the point of Paul's objection and I still do.
Amen, Wombat! It's hard to realize that anyone doesn't see that the Hitler emoticons seem to "honor" a man responsible for nearly decimating an entire race of people, plus countless others ... simply because he could. IMO they are in extremely bad taste, inside joke or not.

~Judy
snotjello

Post by snotjello »

Wombat wrote:Well, I didn't ask what you'd do about them, I asked what you'd make of them.
And I said I think obsession is unhealthy. I did go on to say some other things which, believe it or not, weren't in direct response. In other words, I didn't ask what you did or didn't ask.
Wombat wrote: You seem to be suggesting, though, that what makes them sick is their obsessiveness rather than the particular content of their obsession. I don't accept that.
I do.
Wombat wrote:I don't see any harm in collecting model trains, or barbed wire (yes, people do) or whistles.
Collecting, no. Obsessing, yes. Watching a particular movie everyday or "filling one's house" with a particular thing be it Nazi items or Disney items, I would call obsession, but that depends a lot on the value and importance placed on the object. Someone may "fill their house" with Nazi items because they think they agree with those philosophies, another may do it as a reminder of the atrocities. "Harm"? I guess for me that would depend on whether you mean harm to self or others. Obsessiveness tends to harm the obsessive.
Wombat wrote:If you don't want me butting in telling collectors of Nazi memorabillia they are sick, what business have you telling Jews and others offended by the emoticons that they are too thin skinned and prescribing a remedy?
I didn't say you shouldn't, I said they shouldn't be stopped. Call them sick all you want. I was explaining how I prefer to handle communication that displeases or offends me.
Wombat wrote:Also, if you don't think that ethnic stereotyping and abuse could be part of the life of this board, check out a thread a couple of years ago on travellors, a clan from which I'm also descended.
I also didn't say that.
Wombat wrote:I'm just saying that you're not being consistent.
I think you're just not reading consistently. I made no pretense at being consistent or absolute, nor was I delivering a sermon. I'm merely expressing an opinion and verbalizing my thoughts on the issue, thus my excessive use of "I think", "I believe", etc. just to avoid bruising someone.
Wombat wrote:In any event, you did take me somewhat out of context. I made it clear that I wasn't advocating anything more than self censorship and that I accept that Rich makes the rules around here. I simply thought that several people were missing the point of Paul's objection and I still do.
I apologize if I seemed to take you out of context. That wasn't my intent. I agree on the "self censorship" point. I don't oppose someone's objection to someone else's expression. Object away. Words are just words.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Parcour, that was completely uncalled for. Paul has apparently had the good sense to stop posting in this thread (and I hope also reading it), so what's the use of making provocative statements like that? I'm not sure why I'm reading it, other than morbid curiosity as to how far some people will go....

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:Parcour, that was completely uncalled for. Paul has apparently had the good sense to stop posting in this thread (and I hope also reading it), so what's the use of making provocative statements like that? I'm not sure why I'm reading it, other than morbid curiosity as to how far some people will go....

Robin
I agree. It was completely out of line, and has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Lark

Post by Lark »

Warning

The following is a joke, and not intended to be taken seriously

http://www.larkwoodworks.com/stuff/smile.html
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Even though I am one of the subjects of this thread, I am locking it in hopes that some cooling down will occur and, frankly, to buy some time. This is seriously complicated and I have known about it for about 30 minutes. I drove back from N.C. today (my daughter graduated from college yesterday) and I am just unable to deal with this issue tonight. I may not be able to deal with tomorrow either. Just trust me: It's even more complicated than meets the eye.

Dale

P.S. I deleted the post by Parcour.