From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ctladies
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and I love to play the whistle! I met Dale and now he is the main man of whistlers. I can't wait to get back on the road again as this coronavirus is the worst!

From Joanie Madden

Post by ctladies »

Hi everyone,

I stopped by the live chat tonight on Chiff and Fipple and really enjoyed chatting to a bunch of whistlers and they gave me an idea.

I'm not sure what direction to go in my next recording. I was tossing the ideas of a whistle and orchestra record or a pure trad record.

Since this is the ultimate tin whistle website (with Dale as King) I thought I should ask you guys your opinion as to what you want me to do for my next album. I'm kind of up in the air and I know I'm way overdue another solo recording but, I was just wondering what the feedback would be from the 3000 or so of you as to what road I should take. I have a meeting with my producer on Tuesday to get the ball rolling.

Another Song of the Irish whistle - or a rip roaring trad album - the live chat whistlers were leaning towards a 1/2 and 1/2. If you feel like sharing your opinion, let me know what the verdict is!!

Thanks a million and keep whistling!!
Joanie :party:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'd love to see (hear) a rip-roaring trad recording. No vocals. Really get down with it.

Having said that, I am also hoping that one day you'll do something with orchestration. I play in a couple of non-Irish groups and would love to get one of them to do a piece where I could play a whistle. I'd love to hear some of the possibilities.

So, in essence, I have not helped at all. But I'm really jazzed that you asked.

Go trad next. :)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

Hi Joanie,

I vote for pure trad. :D

Justine
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

my same opinion, how bout adding some funky stuff like goldrick does?
:wink:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: From Joanie Madden

Post by kkrell »

ctladies wrote:
I'm not sure what direction to go in my next recording. I was tossing the ideas of a whistle and orchestra record or a pure trad record.

Another Song of the Irish whistle - or a rip roaring trad album - the live chat whistlers were leaning towards a 1/2 and 1/2. If you feel like sharing your opinion, let me know what the verdict is!!
Hi Joanie,

I'd rather see a bit more in the direction of "A Whistle on the Wind" in terms of relatively simple instrumentation. Still plenty of opportunity to vary the mood, and no barrier to innovation either. Save the orchestral work for a movie soundtrack.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Berti66

more possibilities on whistle

Post by Berti66 »

I was not in the chat (damn :D) but your message made me think.
There is so much IRTRAD already and of course we all love that (please don't take me wrong, I am a joanie fan!), but what about some more of OTHER things......I was thinking of not a specific direction but a blend of various kinds/ moods would make a nice change.....
That would let us discover more possibilities on whistle many of us maybe haven't tried yet........so this should be a fun cd hm?

warmest greetings
berti
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Trad all the way.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Lots of slow airs on low whistles! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Rip-roaring trad, please! (But not necessarily all rip-roaring tempo -- include some beautiful slow airs along with the reels & jigs.)

Can you change this thread to a poll? If all 3000 of us vote, it might be easier to count that way.

Thanks for asking us! Now can I brag that Joanie Madden asked my opinion on something??? :lol:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: From Joanie Madden

Post by brewerpaul »

ctladies wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks a million and keep whistling!!
Joanie :party:
Hey Joanie-- nice to see you here!
Feeling ambitious? How about a 2 CD set: The Two Sides of Joanie Madden, or some such.. One disc pure trad, minimally "produced"-- just sit the gang down and play some old favorites and some lesser known session tunes. The other CD could be an avenue to explore other directions: orchestra, unusual percussion, guest musicians, etc. Best of both worlds, IMHO.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 17th at the Comhaltas thingie!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I like Paul's idea above. The question is whether you producer will go for it. If it's only going to be one disk I vote for the session-like trad option.
Mike
glauber

Post by glauber »

I like the "2 Sides" idea too. Make it a 2-sided CD!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dtravers

Post by dtravers »

yep, trad, please.

slow airs are good too.

regards,
-Derek-
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Trad - with all the rip and roar we can handle!

(I can't believe I didn't hit the chat room last night. :( )

Susan
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

I like the 2 CD idea first but if it isn't possible then the pure trad. Really, whatever you make we will enjoy.
Susan