From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

hi!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hello Bloomfield,

Yes, it's ME! Thank You much, Talbert :wink:
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Talbert St. Claire

hi!

Hello AZALIN,

Your email was halarious!! Thanks. :lol:
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Talbert -
Thanks for the very kind words.
I live in a different continent than my mom, so I don't get to talk to her very much, but she did mention that she got a very, very nice e-mail from you. Thank you very much for sending her such a nice note.
I certainly will check out your sound clips as soon as I can (I'm writing my two big final papers in International Law and preparing for my final exams in Economic Law and Law of the Sea... so I'm kind of busy).
Yeah, don't worry about the confusion between Barb and I... that sort of thing happens on-line all the time. It's pretty tough to judge someones "tone of voice" on-line and even harder to judge who somebody really is.... all sorts of mix-ups occur regularly.
I'll look forward to checking out your music soon.
Best,
Chris
Talbert St. Claire

hi!

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your reply back! Good luck with your exams in Economic Law. I'll send you some Low Whistle Karma. Seriously, I hope you pass with flying colors.

Yes, drop me a line at your convenience. Thanks, Talbert
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

So Joanie, what'll it be?

:wink:
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: From Joanie Madden

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote: ... Hey Joanie-- nice to see you here!
Feeling ambitious? How about a 2 CD set: The Two Sides of Joanie Madden, or some such.. One disc pure trad, minimally "produced"-- just sit the gang down and play some old favorites and some lesser known session tunes. The other CD could be an avenue to explore other directions: orchestra, unusual percussion, guest musicians, etc. Best of both worlds, IMHO.
Ditto, ditto, ditto, and also what Paul said, as well too! :D

And , given the spread of time, and recent interviews... Perhaps some with Mary, too?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

When I saw this come back round after awhile to page 8, I thought surely Joanie had brought it back around with a summary response of some kind; but, alas, the thread had veered in some other directions (how unlike C&F :D ).

Just wanted to repeat from another thread (The Joanie Madden with Bowflex thread; is it still a thread if I post and no one answers?) how much I love that entire Song of the Irish Whistle, especially The Legacy Jig, a trad tune certainly not done in a trad treatment - very hot. I really liked that CD because it was mixed - slow airs, African beats, trad...I'm sure whatever Joanie decides on for the next treat will be magic.

Oh and Bloomie, just cut it out...I am Tal (that's Talbert; couldn't be Talasiga, because I don't know her well enough if at all, to call her that) - I have one student and once made a low D whistle that looks strikingly like an Overton - I use my now famous signature, an old rune that only looks like a CG crossed out with an overlaid TSC/DS.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I believe,
I believe you have the ability to take a simple tune and turn it into something incredibily special, eg sally gardens
I believe you can do justice to even well known and accepted I trad tunes
the idea of taking a tune that is achievable for most learners and yet adding the personality of the tune gives us all something to aspire to,

Having said that though maintain the balance, by all means do your show piece or flaunt a new piece of music, as it is important as it has been in the past to create a new tradition, inspire a new way of thinking or take it to the next level,
appealing to the masses is hard
but inspiration is what is is,
to me your playing is a standard to aspire to,
no matter what you choose,
If it is a part of you and a part of your soul,
Its gunna be right,
I believe......in you
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
brotherwind

suggestion

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
anything appreciated. Love to have something more towards pure trad though. Acoustic backing, maybe another great soloist here and there for contrast.
Great interview at the kerrywhistles cinema section.
Thanks for your dedication and inspiration,

brotherwind
scheky

Post by scheky »

Holy Thread Necromancy!
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Pure trad. with a little contemporary thrown in. For example, I have the CTL album that has Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band" on it, and I love how they took this beautiful ballad and made it sound like a traditional Irish song.
bepoq
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

How about flute only Joannie- a pure drop reference CD for all those that aspire to play trad on the silver flute - so we can hear everything that you are doing on that flute - no backing (or just the smallest touch of drum or something occasionally). I'd be dead into that, not to mention how useful and encouraging it would be to give to students with silver flutes.

Best,

Ben
shadeclan

Re: From Joanie Madden

Post by shadeclan »

brewerpaul wrote: Hey Joanie-- nice to see you here!
Feeling ambitious? How about a 2 CD set: The Two Sides of Joanie Madden, or some such.. One disc pure trad, minimally "produced"-- just sit the gang down and play some old favorites and some lesser known session tunes. The other CD could be an avenue to explore other directions: orchestra, unusual percussion, guest musicians, etc. Best of both worlds, IMHO.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 17th at the Comhaltas thingie!
I'm with Paul on this. A two CD set would be great. You could satisfy both sides at once. One could be a trad and the other could be anything you wanted.
LeeMarsh wrote:So my suggestion is simple.

Sit and find those tunes YOU need to play. Those that need expressed and shared. Play those tunes how you need to: solo, duet, small group, or orchestra.

Sharing the things,
that the music touches inside you,
will ever bring delight,
to those who hear.
I also must agree with my fellow Marylander. You can always tell when sombody enjoys the music they're playing. It will make the album just that much better.

I only have two personal requests:
1. It would be nice if SOMEBODY could do justice to the old classic "The Minstrel Boy"

and

2. If you include "Danny Boy" on the new CD, I would still buy it, but I'm afraid that I would have to bash my brains out with a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick. :boggle:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

amar wrote:So Joanie, what'll it be?

:wink:
Ditto. Any word yet on a new CD?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi
I think you should do what you are most excited about doing. If you are up for something different, then pursue that. Really, whatever you decide will be great. I have to second the request to record some moderately tempo'd stuff, and some slow airs. After hearing you and Mary Bergin in the Catskills, I'm also thinking some whistle duets might be nice! Good luck.

Arbo