OT: Europe's Problem--And Ours

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

susnfx wrote:Okay, Bloo, put back the second Churchill quote. I liked it.

Susan
Which one did you mean?

Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing... after they have exhausted all other possibilities.
-- Winston Churchill

The United States stands at the pinnacle of world power. This is a solemn moment for the American democracy. For with primacy in power is joined an awe-inspiring accountability for the future. -- Winston Churchill (he said this in the 1940s.)
/Bloomfield
fluter_d
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluter_d »

Elendil: thank you for your clarification. I will attempt to restate my original points (which I think may not be as clear as I would like them to be ;) ), but also to respond to your clarifications. It seems so complicated, and I haven’t even started yet!

Firstly, I would like to state that, while I do disagree fairly strongly with Weigel’s article, my point in adding to (or detracting from :P ) this thread was more to raise issues about his scholarly approach to the subject, than to attempt to decry his ideology. If this was not clear, I apologise again.
fluter_d wrote: Weigel seems intent on establishing a contrast between the US (the shining light of the democratic project, it seems) and 'Europe'. Some of his points are valid, if applied purely to the European Union and its workings, but are woefully inadequate in terms of individual countries. Likewise, some points work if applied to an individual country, but not to the EU as an entity. Weigel seems confused as to the differences between the US and the EU. There is not enough parity or commonality to make a broad comparison between the two. The EU is not a 'United States of Europe', just as the US is not an 'American Union'. This is the first (and a very valid and important) point, in my opinion, which must cast some doubt on his subsequent statements.
I believe you have misunderstood my intent with this paragraph. I did not mean that the US and EU are incomparable, but rather that Weigel never clearly states whether his use of ‘Europe’ refers to the European Union, a bureaucratic structure, or to European countries as a whole. As I mentioned, Some of his points are valid, if applied purely to the European Union and its workings, but are woefully inadequate in terms of individual countries. Likewise, some points work if applied to an individual country, but not to the EU as an entity. This means that any analysis of his article is subject to the interpretation of the individual reader – not an ideal situation, especially for someone proposing a thesis that was bound by its nature to cause conflicts of opinion. My point that the EU is not comparable to the US was meant as an example of the lack of clarity in Weigel’s writing – and it is actually very unclear whether Weigel is equating the two abbreviations, or using one of the two possibilities I have mentioned above to explain ‘Europe’. So, regardless (again) of actual political leanings, there is no way to know exactly what Weigel himself meant, or on which interpretation to base a proper debate of his ideas.
elendil wrote:fluter_d wrote:
Surely the vast majority of Muslims do not subscribe to the views of the fundamentalists - otherwise we would all have been overrun by those evil people who are into jihad by now.
A cursory reading of history would suggest that the reason "we" have not been overrun is actually due to superior force of arms. Were it not for Poland's famed Winged Hussars at Vienna under Sobieski (when the French, characteristically, were allied with the Turks) and the Grand Coalition under Don Juan at Lepanto the history of Europe would undoubtedly be rather different. And history would also suggest that you oughtn't to be quite so sure.
In this quote, I was rather reacting to Weigel’s underlying implications that Islamic fundamentalism is just waiting for the first available opportunity to overthrow the ‘civilised’ world, than posing a question that I felt should be addressed or answered. The ‘Surely not’ that you refer to was indeed meant to place the entire quote in an ironic light. Should an Islamic leader, fundamentalist or not, accuse Christianity of the same thing, I am sure that there would be an immediate outcry – not only in the US, let it be said, but also in Europe. This attitude does not seem to me to further the cause of understanding or debate, but rather to create an ‘us or them’ mentality, which is (as I believe Gary may have pointed out in relation to the article as a whole) a valuable tool of propaganda. I must confess to a lack of knowledge on the subject of Christian/Muslim wars; however, the fact that neither Christianity nor Islam have succeeded thus far in converting all of the heathens to their way of thinking leads me to believe that a divided religious world view will be a reality, at least for the foreseeable future. In this light, hyperbolic statements about what the other side is just waiting to do to us, should we let down our guard, are at best unhelpful – and this applies to both ‘other’ sides. Again, I did not mean to get into a debate on the relative merits or otherwise of particular religions.

In fact, the next quote you highlight was meant in the same sense. I certainly did not intend to include you as a Christian fundamentalist – there is no basis in this thread or otherwise (that I know of :D) for that.

fluter_d wrote:
And surely Christian fundamentalism is just as dangerous and morally reprehensibly as Islamic fundamentalism. Yet only Islamic fundamentalism is pointed to as evil,
elendil replied:
Um, while I have no sympathy with Christian "fundamentalism" I think the "fundamentalisms" involved here are somewhat different. In general, I think it's a bad idea to apply the same word to diverse realities. It leads to confusion and sloppy thinking.
and then later clarified:
Perhaps I was being a little defensive here. I sensed that I was somehow being grouped in with Christian fundamentalists. In fact, fluter_d's closing crack about the probable reception that fundamentalists would receive upon arrival in the US suggests that I was correct in my suspicion. At any rate, anyone who knows me or has even read a few of my posts will recognize that them are fightin' words for me--or about as close as you can get to those sorts of words for me. I know for a fact that I've remarked several time on the Chiffboard that "fundies" consider people like me to be, literally, pagans. Nevertheless, rather than getting into a lengthy, and probably futile, denial, I instead made an only slightly veiled plea to be mindful of the analogy of being in applying identical terms to different realities. I considered that an appropriate and serious comment, and I still do. I do, in fact, think there are significant differences between these two -isms, both of which are repugnant to me. Once again, however, I preferred not to get sidetracked into a probably futile attempt to distinguish their relative degrees of evil.
For the record, I do believe that there is a difference of degree here. And I do agree that the term you used, ‘relative degrees of evil’, is probably appropriate. My point was more to do with the overt wording, in some instances, and the implications (in others), which Weigel employs. Highly emotive language which implies threats is not conducive to valid scholarship, nor to having one’s work taken seriously, in my opinion – although I admit that I also did not choose my words well, or even follow my own strictures.

My closing comments, about the Puritans’ reception landing in the US today, were made (and were meant) purely as a gut reaction to Gary’s suggestion. I did not mean it to extend to anyone beyond Weigel himself, and certainly not to you, Elendil, or to American culture as a whole. ( I’ve been in the US for the last 7 months, and I have yet to meet anyone with a viewpoint quite like Mr. Weigel’s. Perhaps I’m just moving in the wrong circles, but still…) My point was more that Weigel seems to see Christianity in terms of black and white – there is one path which should be followed, and any other approach is either morally flawed, or a threat to the world as a whole (Yes, this is an over-simplification of his approach, but give me some leeway here :D!) – much as I understand the Puritans did. That was what I was implying – nothing more, nothing less.

I hope this makes things clearer. I will re-read in a couple of minutes and see if I make any more sense to me…

Deirdre (yes, a la Synge!)
elendil

Post by elendil »

Well, I have to say, while I was writing that lengthy post I really wondered whether I was wasting my time in justifying to Bloomie why I do these OT posts, but fluter_d aka Deirdre's response has assured me that it was no waste of time. I'd like to mention a few things, one somewhat personal, that may shed some further light--but not too much. :wink:

fluter_d wrote:
My point was more that Weigel seems to see Christianity in terms of black and white – there is one path which should be followed, and any other approach is either morally flawed, or a threat to the world as a whole (Yes, this is an over-simplification of his approach, but give me some leeway here !) – much as I understand the Puritans did.
Weigel is very far from a fundamentalist of any sort. In fact, he's a Catholic and has written extensively on Catholic theology in a scholarly vein and has even written a very widely praised biography of JP2. He's a very intelligent man, and I'm quite sure that if any of us were to engage him in conversation he would not paint the world in black and white. On the other hand, this article is an opinion piece and, as such, was intended (I'm quite sure) to evoke a lively response. First Things (the monthly in which the article appeared) prints numerous letters to the editor, and authors respond to those letters in a fair amount of detail. It's a major feature of the magazine, a bit like our beloved Chiffboard.

That said, I happen not to believe that he's always clearsighted in all regards. In fact, my refusal to even read certain of his writings has led to no small degree of tension between myself and another family member. (Sorry, I won't defend my behavior in this regard.) That is why I protested as much as I did at the way certain people tried to identify me with Weigel. I really did want to simply get a discussion going, not to indoctrinate the Chiffboard in the thought of George Weigel. I agree with him when he agrees with me. I'm willing to learn from him, but I'm scarcely uncritical.

Regarding Christianity and Islam, let me offer a quite unoriginal thought. (But with this caveat: for me, just what Christianity is is not as uncomplicated a matter as you might expect.) The great difference I, and many others, see between the sins of Muslims and the sins of Christians is simply this: the worst deeds of Muslims (at least in Christian eyes) are quite arguably sanctioned by, even mandated by, Islam, through the Koran and the sayings of Muhammed. I would tend to agree with those who argue that Wahabbism does, in some respects, go beyond what can truly be said to derive from normative Islam, but I do think the main point remains. On the other hand, the sins Christians find no such sanction in the New Testament. There is no mandate to wage war, to slay or enslave infidels, etc. That, I believe, is a big difference, a very significant difference. I would also cite the situation in Sudan, as well as in other major nations such as Indonesia and Nigeria where the attempt is being made to impose Sharia on entire populations of non-Muslims in a violent manner. The flight of very large minority populations of Christians from virtually every Middle Eastern country, where their communities have lived for two thousand years, is another indication of the nature of normative Islam. Some of these communities, like the Copts and the various Christian groups in Syria and Iraq, have long made up quite sizable minorities (as did the Jews), but are now being driven out. It's the thought of these situations that lead me to consider the comparison of Christian and Muslim fundamentalisms to be beside the point for most practical purposes. It is only the thought of the hundreds of thousands of Jews who were expelled to Israel from their ancestral homes for no crime but their religion that causes me to have ambivalent feeling about Israel as a state.

As I say, those weren't my main interests, but the topic keeps coming up so I thought I should come semi-clean.

P.S. I can't believe the way my poor OT: Skepticism and Freedom thread is languishing, soon to vanish from the front page. :sniffle:
elendil
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

elendil,
Mr. Weigel I must admit did not let loose so I did a search on him. There are some articles online about him even in German (not all I found in his favour, the ones which were good on the German side were about the book about the pope). Often he was mentioned in relation to the "just war doctrine" which was published after 9/11, him being one of the signees.

But one link made me stop worry about him anymore as that link for me personally makes me believe that he is some kind of fundamentalist even though you said, he isn't.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/state ... ciples.htm

The article what this whole thread is about which he wrote and himself, I can now put to "stored items". I do not need to know more about him... and if I see his work in the future I will read with prepaired mind. I am sorry if this sounds prejusti-whatistherestoftheword..... The website above is worth while to read as I found about a year ago after a fellow C&F pointed to it on this board. That is it from my side on this thread.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
elendil

Post by elendil »

Hi Brigitte,

Thanks for your population stats on Germany.

No, Weigel is definitely no fundamentalist--at least not in any accepted English usage of the term. What he is, as I mentioned way earlier in the thread, is some sort of Neo-Conservative--in a political sense. Being in favor of a strong defense and assertive foreign policy does not a fundamentalist make. Once upon a time, there was even a substantial wing of the Democratic party that would have agreed with this statement that you link.

Brigitte said:
I do not need to know more about him... and if I see his work in the future I will read with prepaired mind. I am sorry if this sounds prejusti-whatistherestoftheword.....
but, look what elendil had already said! :wink:
I happen not to believe that he's always clearsighted in all regards. In fact, my refusal to even read certain of his writings has led to no small degree of tension between myself and another family member.
Now that's prejusti-whatistherestoftheword for you! :D
elendil
U2

Post by U2 »

elendil - You’ve obviously put a lot of effort into this, and I am reluctant to discuss it because many people consider questioning to be some kind of blasphemy. But here goes: Earlier in the string you were critical that I selected one small quote from you, and commented on that. It was a tactic I used, and you called me on it. Fair enough.

How now, is there justification in ignoring thirty-nine books (Old Testament) in which God's nature is explained to mankind, and his authority established, to get to the twenty-seven (New Testament) that help the particular argument you are making? It gives the appearance that your point cannot be made with consideration for all the information holy books provide about the nature of the God behind the teachings you, selectively, cite. While recognizing fully the fundamental differences between systems under both law and grace, it seems important to remember the nature of the being that put them in place.

How strong is your point if you include the teachings about the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

In case it needs stating outright: Weigle is a Catholic apologist, and his thought is straight up Catholic doctrine, with even hardly any gloss on it. That explains his deep fear of Christian Europe being overrun by the Muslime hoards (first Europe, America next, I presume). Here again it pays to look a back bit in history to understand Europe. The Roman Catholic Church and its supporters have been at the forefront of keeping Europe clean of Muslims. Prince Eugene and his Habsburg Catholic army were already mentioned, I believe. Then it was the Habsburg Emperors (the stoutest secular defenders of the Pope's interest) who installed the Catholic settlers in Bosnia/Herzigovina causing five hundered years of strife. The Pope condoned the recent war in former Yougoslavia, by the way, and after all it was Christians against Muslims again.

U2: This explains also why Weigel/elendil are happy to ignore the Old Testament. And it explains why elendil correctly states that Weigel is not a Christian Fundamentalist: those are all protestants of one type or another. Calling Weigel a "neo-Conservatist" leaves out a bit.
/Bloomfield
elendil

Post by elendil »

Sorry everyone--I clicked "Submit" instead of "Preview." This is obviously a work in progress, so please bear with me.

U2 spake and said:
elendil - You’ve obviously put a lot of effort into this,
Far more than I initially intended--believe me! :D
Earlier in the string you were critical that I selected one small quote from you, and commented on that. It was a tactic I used, and you called me on it. Fair enough.
I appreciate that.
How now, is there justification in ignoring thirty-nine books (Old Testament) in which God's nature is explained to mankind, and his authority established, to get to the twenty-seven (New Testament) that help the particular argument you are making?
Naturally, I was waiting for someone to call me on that, which is why I said earlier:
Regarding Christianity and Islam, let me offer a quite unoriginal thought. (But with this caveat: for me, just what Christianity is is not as uncomplicated a matter as you might expect.)
elendil
U2

Post by U2 »

Bloomfield wrote:U2: This explains also why Weigel/elendil are happy to ignore the Old Testament. And it explains why elendil correctly states that Weigel is not a Christian Fundamentalist: those are all protestants of one type or another. Calling Weigel a "neo-Conservatist" leaves out a bit.
Bloom - Besides reading the article elendil recommended, I sought out other of his writings and learned more about Weigel and his perspective. I'm interested to read elendil's response, because I don't get the impression e takes this stuff lightly, or flippantly. I also have the impression that e places great emphasis on the authority of scripture. That authority was established in the OT, so separation seems a manipulation, from my perspective. But I am assuming e has thought through this previously and am very interested to learn that perspective.

steve
elendil

Post by elendil »

U2 spake and said:
elendil - You’ve obviously put a lot of effort into this,
Far more than I initially intended--believe me! :D
Earlier in the string you were critical that I selected one small quote from you, and commented on that. It was a tactic I used, and you called me on it. Fair enough.
I appreciate that.
How now, is there justification in ignoring thirty-nine books (Old Testament) in which God's nature is explained to mankind, and his authority established, to get to the twenty-seven (New Testament) that help the particular argument you are making?
Naturally, I was waiting for someone to call me on that, which is why I said earlier:
Regarding Christianity and Islam, let me offer a quite unoriginal thought. (But with this caveat: for me, just what Christianity is is not as uncomplicated a matter as you might expect.)
Let me get back to you on that later in this post, and first try to clear up a few things with Bloomie.

Thus spake Bloomie:
Weigle is a Catholic apologist
That seems in a way a little unfair. I've already indicated numerous times that I'm not in full agreement with Weigel, but I don't question his scholarly credentials. "Apologist" to me suggests "popularizing." Ain't nuthin' wrong with that, of course, but to me it makes Weigel look more one dimensional than he is.
it pays to look a back bit in history
Always! Couldn't agree more!
The Roman Catholic Church and its supporters have been at the forefront of keeping Europe clean of Muslims.
There are many who claim that the House of Saud is, if not at the forefront, the financial power behind al Qaeda's jihad--intended to clean the world of non-Muslims.
it was the Habsburg Emperors (the stoutest secular defenders of the Pope's interest) who installed the Catholic settlers in Bosnia/Herzigovina causing five hundered years of strife.
Right. Itinerant Muslim preachers had wandered through SE Europe, converting the locals by during the 14th-15th centuries by the eloquence and logic of their preaching. The result: after the locals had spontaneously embraced Islam there was a homogeneous Muslim population, yearning for peace with their Catholic Hapsburg neighbors. Unfortunately, the evil Catholic Hapsburgs once more thwarted world peace by installing Catholics (yuck!) in B/H. Puh-leeze! Remember? And it was wicked missionaries who converted black tribesmen in the Sudan, so those folk are only getting what they deserve at the hands of Dubya's "religion of peace?" Nice, Bloomie. Y'know, I did mention some of those issues, which you neatly sidestepped.
it pays to look a back bit in history
Do you seriously think that your version of history is even remotely adequate to the tragic history of the Balkan Peninsula? Perhaps there are some people out there who could speak to that.
And it explains why elendil correctly states that Weigel is not a Christian Fundamentalist: those are all protestants of one type or another.
Cheap rhetoric does you no credit, Bloomie. I've repeatedly stated my dissatisfaction with words like "fundamentalist," and I've given my reasons, if anyone would care to think about them a bit. In any event, I'm quite sure Protestants of virtually any stripe would reject the notion of Catholics as fundamentalists. As I've indicated, my views on Christianity itself are not as simple as you would like to portray them.
Calling Weigel a "neo-Conservatist" leaves out a bit.
It certainly does. I've previously, on this thread, characterized Weigel as a Catholic, a Neo Con of some sort--a widely recognized category in American politics which is considered to have a fairly identifiable agenda, a recognized scholar on just war theory, a biographer of the pope. I've rejected "fundamentalist" as a valid characterization, since I'm quite sure he doesn't favor a literal interpretation of Scripture--that is, I believe, the accepted definition of a fundamentalist. What would you like me to add?
This explains also why Weigel/elendil are happy to ignore the Old Testament.
I doubt that Weigel does ignore the OT, but I assume that you have some reason for suggesting that he does, which you'd be willing to share with the rest of us? You've read "Tranquilitas Ordinis" and his other works and discovered this lacuna?

Back to you, U2. I don't ignore the OT, either. However I think the OT should be approached with this question in mind: if Scripture is revelation, in some sense, then what is being revealed. I think I know your answer, based on your post. Here's my answer, in extremely summary form. I see the OT, on the whole, as a record of a people's search for God under the prompting of God's call. It is also, necessarily, a record of that people's failure to respond to God's call at times, to distort it at times for their own purposes, to refuse to accept the truth and prefer to seek the desire of their own hearts. And I mean this not only in the sense that, for example, David had Uriah killed in order to cover up his adultery with Uriah's wife, but also in this sense: the royal ideology of the Davidic succession is at odds with the conditions of the covenant at Sinai. Isaiah's quietism in the face of the Assyrian threat is at odds with other portions of the OT. Etc. In other words, just as I've repeatedly said that I don't view the NT as a treatise in moral philosophy, neither do I view the OT as a discursive exposition of correct theology. Just as the early fathers of the Church saw the pagan philosopher as, in some sense, a preparation for the good news, I see the OT as a preparation for revelation in its truest and most proper theological and historical sense: the revelation of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. "Revelation" as applied to Scripture I view as derivative in comparison to "this man Jesus" himself, in person, risen and living in his Church.

U2, I know you won't be fully satisfied with that explanation, but it should serve as a general indication of why I don't feel theologically bound by such OT episodes as YHWH's supposed injunction to Saul to slay all the Amelekites: man, woman, child, animal. Believe me, if I thought I'd worked this out to my complete satisfaction in publishable form, I'd be providing a link to Amazon. :) Well, I can't very well write the book on the Chiffboard, either, can I? :lol: As always, however, I recommend the writings of N. T. Wright (aka Tom Wright) on all matters Scriptural. I am in very close agreement with him on most matters--although not with his politics, necessarily, which probably more closely resemble those of (ohmigod!) Bloomie! MO, however, you can't do better than reading his books, both in the popularized Tom Wright editions as well as in the N.T. Wright full-academic-apparatus editions.

Now, finally, I notice that the population control, child hating fringe has been suspiciously silent since I introduced the topic of sex selective abortion. For those of you who don't want to get into theology, per se, let me offer you some red meat to bring you back out of the woodwork :wink: : many years ago, my wife and I were trained counselors in NFP (Natural Family Planning - specifically, the Sympto-Thermal Method). We've practiced NFP throughout our marriage and have four wonderful offspring. I highly recommend NFP to one and all as a way to get in tune with nature, with your spouse's rhythyms and emotions, as a way to open and maintain communication in a marriage, as a gentle, loving, non-violent art. I offer this in the spirit of returning to the original intent of the thread.
elendil
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

elendil wrote:Thus spake Bloomie:
Weigle is a Catholic apologist
That seems in a way a little unfair. I've already indicated numerous times that I'm not in full agreement with Weigel, but I don't question his scholarly credentials. "Apologist" to me suggests "popularizing." Ain't nuthin' wrong with that, of course, but to me it makes Weigel look more one dimensional than he is.
Conceded. Apologist ist loaded. But it sound so much cooler. And I also like the fact that those less familiar with the word apologist might think that I am implying that one has to apologize for Catholocism, which of course I am NOT. ;)
The Roman Catholic Church and its supporters have been at the forefront of keeping Europe clean of Muslims.
There are many who claim that the House of Saud is, if not at the forefront, the financial power behind al Qaeda's jihad--intended to clean the world of non-Muslims.
Is this a one of those Bush-is-making-a-mistake-Is-not-Clinton-slept-with-Monica arguments? :)
it was the Habsburg Emperors (the stoutest secular defenders of the Pope's interest) who installed the Catholic settlers in Bosnia/Herzigovina causing five hundered years of strife.
Right. Itinerant Muslim preachers had wandered through SE Europe, converting the locals by during the 14th-15th centuries by the eloquence and logic of their preaching. The result: after the locals had spontaneously embraced Islam there was a homogeneous Muslim population, yearning for peace with their Catholic Hapsburg neighbors. Unfortunately, the evil Catholic Hapsburgs once more thwarted world peace by installing Catholics (yuck!) in B/H. Puh-leeze! Remember? And it was wicked missionaries who converted black tribesmen in the Sudan, so those folk are only getting what they deserve at the hands of Dubya's "religion of peace?" Nice, Bloomie. Y'know, I did mention some of those issues, which you neatly sidestepped.
Oh, Puh-leeze back at cha. :D Do you deny that the Catholic church has a bigger stake than most in historic struggle between European Christians & Muslims (esp. in the Balkans)? I wasn't saying more that that.
Do you seriously think that your version of history is even remotely adequate to the tragic history of the Balkan Peninsula? Perhaps there are some people out there who could speak to that.
You forgot to mention for what purpose I might consider my version of Balkan history adequate or inadequate. Nice, elendil. (hey I am getting into this)
And it explains why elendil correctly states that Weigel is not a Christian Fundamentalist: those are all protestants of one type or another.
Cheap rhetoric does you no credit, Bloomie. I've repeatedly stated my dissatisfaction with words like "fundamentalist," and I've given my reasons, if anyone would care to think about them a bit. In any event, I'm quite sure Protestants of virtually any stripe would reject the notion of Catholics as fundamentalists. As I've indicated, my views on Christianity itself are not as simple as you would like to portray them.
Here I just don't see your issue. All those people we think of in this country as Christian Fundamentalists are protestants. The notion that you should go back the Bible and a literal reading of the Bible is protestant (and American). That's all I thought I was saying (I was agreeing that W isn't a fundamentalist, I thought). Just a bit of taxonomy if you will.
Calling Weigel a "neo-Conservatist" leaves out a bit.
It certainly does. I've previously, on this thread, characterized Weigel as a Catholic, a Neo Con of some sort--a widely recognized category in American politics which is considered to have a fairly identifiable agenda, a recognized scholar on just war theory, a biographer of the pope. I've rejected "fundamentalist" as a valid characterization, since I'm quite sure he doesn't favor a literal interpretation of Scripture--that is, I believe, the accepted definition of a fundamentalist. What would you like me to add?
That he is a Catholic apologist. :D But it's all right, I've added it for you.
This explains also why Weigel/elendil are happy to ignore the Old Testament.
I doubt that Weigel does ignore the OT, but I assume that you have some reason for suggesting that he does, which you'd be willing to share with the rest of us? You've read "Tranquilitas Ordinis" and his other works and discovered this lacuna?
OK. I am being glib here, having a bit of a laugh about the tortured Catholic view of the relation of the OT and NT. Sorry. Oh, and I am sorry to say that I am not reading Tranquilitas Ordinis any time soon. I would, but I anticipate being busy now that I have to move back to Europe because I don't agree with Weekenders on everything. In fact, I'd better be packing.
/Bloomfield
U2

Post by U2 »

U2 wrote:How now, is there justification in ignoring thirty-nine books (Old Testament) in which God's nature is explained to mankind, and his authority established, to get to the twenty-seven (New Testament) that help the particular argument you are making?
elendil wrote: Back to you, U2. I don't ignore the OT, either. . . Naturally, I was waiting for someone to call me on that, which is why I said earlier: Regarding Christianity and Islam, let me offer a quite unoriginal thought. (But with this caveat: for me, just what Christianity is is not as uncomplicated a matter as you might expect.)
Philosophically you may not ignore it, but you did in the post. You acknowledged you were waiting for someone to call your hand at not mentioning the Old Testament while citing the New Testament. So I obliged. It was obvious because. . .well. . . it’s obvious.

The issue is the common deity, and how to resolve the apparent conflict in the revelation in entirety. If the latter is the culmination of the former continuity in what’s right/wrong seems basic and reasonable.

And I'll add that Christianity is very simple. It has to be because "all" receive a common promise through it. Consider the varied intellects of the included and it becomes immediately apparent that it has to be simple. Mankind rather enjoys the idea that something that can yield eternal life must be very complex, exclusive, and that it anything that powerful requires control. We've been taught it's effectiveness hinges on some complete understanding, but that's not really what Christ's words stated.
elendil wrote:. . .then what is being revealed. I think I know your answer, based on your post. . .
Feel free to ask anyway. Since you didn't then I'll point out the teachings in the OT stood for many years as basis for millions of people's faith and hope, it wasn't simply a means to an end (revelation) for Christianity. It was divine law and the sum of their hope for eternal salvation given to and practiced by millions of Jews. I don't find it particularly enlightened to boil all those years, and all those souls, into terminology that concludes the record of Hebrew faith was but a path to Christianity since it preceded it in chronologically. That ignores the issue of authority, which is the issue I'm attempting to address. Perhaps that's not what you intend, but it certainly gets close to that in what you've written here.
elendil wrote:Here's my answer, in extremely summary form. I see the OT, on the whole, as a record of a people's search for God under the prompting of God's call. It is also, necessarily, a record of that people's failure to respond to God's call at times, to distort it at times for their own purposes, to refuse to accept the truth and prefer to seek the desire of their own hearts.
The OT is that, but not just that. It was the law. It was hope for eternal salvation, which seems suddenly , intentionally, minimized to not much more than a study, or a lesson. It must have been effective - it was given by the creator to a chosen people. I recognize that changing the plan (law to grace) sort of indicates there was a problem, but we can't back away from the concept of omnipotency and infallibility. Can we?
elendil wrote:U2, I know you won't be fully satisfied with that explanation, but it should serve as a general indication of why I don't feel theologically bound by such OT episodes as YHWH's supposed injunction to Saul to slay all the Amelekites: man, woman, child, animal.

:wink: Good prediction.
elendil wrote:As always, however, I recommend the writings of N. T. Wright (aka Tom Wright) on all matters Scriptural. I am in very close agreement with him on most matters--although not with his politics, necessarily, which probably more closely resemble those of (ohmigod!) Bloomie! MO, however, you can't do better than reading his books, both in the popularized Tom Wright editions as well as in the N.T. Wright full-academic-apparatus editions.
Read whomever, but try this: get a red-letter version of the New Testament, and read only the words and phrases directly attributed to Christ, those in red. Surely those words would contain what we'd really need to know.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

elendil wrote:As always, however, I recommend the writings of N. T. Wright (aka Tom Wright) on all matters Scriptural. I am in very close agreement with him on most matters--although not with his politics, necessarily, which probably more closely resemble those of (ohmigod!) Bloomie!
I forgot to mention that I am fiercely blushing.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

U2 wrote:
Read whomever, but try this: get a red-letter version of the New Testament, and read only the words and phrases directly attributed to Christ, those in red. Surely those words would contain what we'd really need to know.
I like that. Now all you have to add that it's cheating to read Paul, Augustine, or Aquinas. Or Luther, for that matter.
/Bloomfield
elendil

Post by elendil »

Glad you're getting into this, Bloomie. A few comments:

Re Weigel as Catholic apologist. To me, apologetics is the attempt to provide rational arguments to justify the Christianity. My experience with books of apologetics is that they are global in scope, covering all or most of the territory, so to speak. Think Frank Sheed, C.S. Lewis, etc. Shoter articles can, of course, also be written in an apologetic vein. However, to my knowledge, Weigel has never written anything remotely similar to those types of books, and this article doesn't change his record. So again, I think it's incorrect to call him an apologist. He writes books on politics, theology, philosophy, but not in an apologetic manner (technically speaking). If you spoke to him, or if he were on the Chiffboard, I imagine he might engage in apologetics should the conversation turn in an appropriate direction. But that certainly isn't his public style. Moreover, although you say that "Apologist ist [sic loaded" (which I will take to mean "isn't"), it seems to me that for someone of Weigel's international stature (cf. Brigitte's post), the application to him of that word with its "popularizing" connotation tends, and was probably intended to, diminish him somewhat as a scholar. Perhaps that seems like quibbling about words, but large misunderstandings often start from small ones.

Is this a one of those Bush-is-making-a-mistake-Is-not-Clinton-slept-with-Monica arguments?
Uh, nooo. And, sorry, I guess I just don't get it.
Do you deny that the Catholic church has a bigger stake than most in historic struggle between European Christians & Muslims (esp. in the Balkans)? I wasn't saying more that that.
Why would I deny that? But why "esp. in the Balkans"? There's always Spain, France (think Poitiers), Sicily. And Nigeria and Indonesia today. There's a long history of this stuff that you refuse to acknowledge.

But, really, admit it, aren't you being just a teensy-weensy bit disingenuous here? After all, you say "I wasn't saying more that[sic] that," but in fact you didn't even say that. What you said was that the Catholic Church, through its Hapsburg proxies, was the cause of "five hundered[sic] years of strife." Now, c'mon, isn't that just a little bit more than what you admitted to? And isn't it just a teensy-weensy bit disingenuous that you still won't refer to what the Ottoman Empire was up to for several centuries? If I didn't know you better from other posts, I'd think you have kind of a thang about the Catholic Church. Come to think of it, do y'know what your post reminds me of? The Brezhnev Doctrine!! I knew there was something there. Remember? Leonid "Eyebrows" Brezhnev declaimed that once "socialist" always "socialist," meaning, once under the Russian heel always under the Russian heel. This was with regard to the stirrings of opposition in Czecho and Poland. So, your version seems to be: if a Muslim force conquers and forcibly converts a population that's OK, but if Catholics start thinking armed defense, then they're "causing five hundered[sic] years of strife." Oh, Puh-leeze back in your court. :D
You forgot to mention for what purpose I might consider my version of Balkan history adequate or inadequate.
Well, I think I've done so now, immediately above.
Here I just don't see your issue. All those people we think of in this country as Christian Fundamentalists are protestants.
I considered this another largely rhetorical sally. No need to go into it further.
That he is a Catholic apologist.
See the beginning of this post, of course.
OK. I am being glib here, having a bit of a laugh about the tortured Catholic view of the relation of the OT and NT. Sorry. Oh, and I am sorry to say that I am not reading Tranquilitas Ordinis any time soon.
I'm Catholic, and I set out in outline form my notion of the relation between the OT and the NT. Feel free to expand on what you find tortured about it. As far as reading TO, I'm not going around recommending it, although it's probably not a bad resource on Just War theory. However, if you're looking for a good read on your flight over to Europe just let me know--I'm full of recommendations. Just ask Stoner.

U2, I didn't forget about you. Unfortunately, this exchange turned out pretty much as a anticipated, which is why I earlier declined to even get into this type of discussion--churlish as that may have seemed at the time. Let me get to the real issue, as I see it.
As a Christian, I have no alternative but to start with Christ and his Church--not with a book, no matter how hallowed. I think I stated that revelation in the truest sense is Jesus himself. All else has been handed down, i.e., is tradition of the Church (as Paul keeps repeating) and so is revelation in a derivative sense, i.e., derived from the primary sense. You didn't respond to that concept. I might add that the Church, the living body of Christ as Paul calls it, is in a sense revelation as well. The fact is, Jesus of Nazareth lived, died, rose again from the dead, and instituted his Church before a single word of the New Testament was ever written. The apostles went about the Mediterranean world preaching the good news of Jesus without red-letter editions[/]. The infant local churches existed for decades without red-letter editions of anything. Are we to assume that they lacked "what we'd really need to know"? I don't think so. The Church provided them with that. It was, in fact, the Church that Jesus instituted that gave its blessing to what later became known as the NT, and that Church existed for centuries before the NT (as well as the Christian form of the OT, come to think of it) was authorized in final form. I disagree utterly and totally with the idea that all we need to know is contained in the red letters of a red-letter edition. This supposes that these books were written as treatises of moral and systematic theology, which is simply not the case. Sorry if I sound a bit snippish. It's partly that I've heard these arguments so many times. And from people who tell me that I'm an idolater and no Christian. Burns me a little, is all

Oh, a late breaking comment!

Bloomie added:
Now all you have to add that it's cheating to read Paul, Augustine, or Aquinas. Or Luther, for that matter.

You must be aware that Luther was known for kicking books out of the canon of scripture when it suited him? Called James' letter "a letter of straw" because it didn't suit him. So much for sola scriptura. More like sola mea. Simple. No problems.
elendil