OT: Harmonica selection question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

jim_mc wrote: He wants to play kids songs. He's only 5.
I started with Mel Bay's Harmonica Pocketbook (well... besides the little paper that comes with many harmonicas). It has a nice selection of tunes, on the right level, and the price is right, at under a dollar.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I take Lee Oskar any day.

I don't like wood harps. The wood swells up and tears your lips to pieces. And watch those mouchtache hairs. LOL

Lee Oskars can be played right out of the box without breaking in.

I bought one in New Orleans once because I had forgotten to bring any. That very night I jammed with a Cajun/Zydeco band at top speed, full volume and kicked butt. No reed problems either. Not only that, but the harp lasted for three more years until it got run over.

The only way to get a Hohner to do that is to pour liquid over the reeds which gives it a lot of kick but destroys it in the long run.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Is there a good Web source for Lee Oskars?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Thanks, Walden. I'll try that booklet. I've had good luck with Mel Bay products in the past.

Has anyone tried the learn and play Act harmonica/book/cd from First Act?

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00007DWBS ... DK3AVLCRVD

Any opinions?
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
fatveg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fatveg »

Walden wrote:
jim_mc wrote: He wants to play kids songs. He's only 5.
I started with Mel Bay's Harmonica Pocketbook (well... besides the little paper that comes with many harmonicas). It has a nice selection of tunes, on the right level, and the price is right, at under a dollar.
I started with the Klutz book (something like "Harminica for the musically hopeless") which is really good and fun, and comes with a Hohner Blues Band. May (or may not) ne a little above a 5-year old, but you can learn it and teach him/her! The little bits of paper that come with harps are worse than useless, and can really discourage you.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>