AOL Radio

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

AOL Radio

Post by Tyghress »

I just found the AOL Communicator program, and aside from a few kinks, I've been very happy with the package, including Radio@AOL. Of course I'm usually listening to the Celtic channel, which highlights Scottish, Irish, Welsh, etc music. I've had the pleasure of hearing a great variety of artists, including some wonderful pipe/flute/whistle music.

I know a lot of people look down on AOHell, but there are these 'radio channels' available through a lot of providers. Does anyone else take advantage of them?

I do the Celtic in the morning and evening, NPR during the day, and classical during dinner (yeah, the most used computer is here in the kitchen). Great way to hear music that I haven't bought (yet).
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jack

Post by Jack »

Back when my sound worked on the computer I listened to Annie Lennox and Jewel on AOL Radio.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I don't use AOL. Never will. :D

I can often be found listening to Celtic Grove, or sometimes news from around the world with Microsoft's radio guide.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Call me crazy, but I listen to the "Reggae Roots" station while studying. Very relaxing, even without the ganja (sp?).
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Crazy.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have the AOL radio too and I like it a lot. I find it better than using Real radio or Windows Media radio. And the Celtic station is very nice.

I just cant figure out why people hate AOL.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

AOL has a bad habit of trying to take over various functions, often rendering other netware unusable. It will also reset a lot of settings to suit its purpose. One of my workplaces forbade ANY AOL product on any computer it had contact with, and refused to guarantee its software on any computer running AOL.

But I have never had a virus get through email, and the communicator's email sorting has reduced my spam to nearly nil...maybe one or two pieces a day. It rounded up and removed 124 pieces of junk from my three boxes today alone.

I love the top of the screen ticker....
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Paul

Post by Paul »

FJohnSharp wrote: I just cant figure out why people hate AOL.
Me niether. I've always had good experience with it. May a few of the really early versions really sucked pondwater and it turned some folks off really bad.
orbis

Post by orbis »

I would just like to thank Tyghress for bringing this AOL Radio thing to my attention! Usually the "generic" radio guides suck pretty bad... So I never bothered to even look at it even though I've been using AOL for years. So Thanks!:-)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

orbis wrote:I would just like to thank Tyghress for bringing this AOL Radio thing to my attention! Usually the "generic" radio guides suck pretty bad... So I never bothered to even look at it even though I've been using AOL for years. So Thanks!:-)

My pleasure!
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Ty

I used to use AOL Radio but I fell in love with Satalite Digital Radio and now I listen to ALL the Scottish/Irish Traditional stations from the source! (only 9 bucks a month). My Favorite is BBC Celtic broadcasts.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I don't know if this is exactly the same thing you all are talking about - but - I like Spinner- they've got pretty much everything, and it shows you the name of the tune, who's playing, what cd it's on and even where you can get it if you are so inclined. My favorites are the celtic channel and the baroque channel.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
lddulcimer

Post by lddulcimer »

I am not certain either if they are the same thing. Spinner is/was awesome. I know Spinner was bought by Netscape and if you click Radio Netscape in their browser, you get a slimmed down version of Spinner. I haven't used AOL Radio, but since AOL/Netscape are basically owned by the same company, my guess would be that they are the same.
Peace.
Larry
madguy

Post by madguy »

"I just cant figure out why people hate AOL."

I don't hate AOL. It's very useful for people who are new to computers. After they learn what they're doing, they get a real ISP. :D

~Larry
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

But what does a 'real' ISP do that AOL cannot? This is the question that no one has ever answered.