High-End Hoopla!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cpelsor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cpelsor »

Hmm, tough question indeed. If this is going to be the only high-end whistle you buy, my advice would probably be a Burke DBSBT. They are solid, relatively inexpensive (when compared to the other "big" names") and is the whistle that my friends at the session try to walk off with most often.

With that said, I have a small army of D whistles that I carry to the session because the sonic quality of our session can vary wildly from week to week. So for example, if we have a fiddler army come in, or 2 squeeze boxes going at it, I go straight for my Seery. The finish isn't that great, but the sound fits perfectly, and doesn't overblow (which, when facing a herd of fiddlers, I tend to do...) Other nights I play Susato or my aluminum Dixon! At the end of the day, finding the whistle that suits you best is a long and expensive road, but when you get to the end, it is like seeing an old friend that has always been there somewhere; you simply lost their address... :)
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

You could narrow your options down a bit by deciding whether you'd rather have wood, metal or composite. Do you intend to travel with it? Will it be subject to drastic climate changes? Do you hate the idea of needing to oil the whistle every so often? If so, wood may not be your material of choice. On the other hand, there's nothing quite as lovely to look at and (in my completely non-expert opinion) listen to as a good wooden whistle, such as Thin Weasel, Busman, Greenwood, etc.. Just food for thought.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Call me cynical, but Dr. Giggles posted this question over 4 years ago and hasn't posted to the board in over 3. Do you think there's a chance he may have made the decision?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh dear. :lol:
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Teri-K wrote:Call me cynical, but Dr. Giggles posted this question over 4 years ago and hasn't posted to the board in over 3. Do you think there's a chance he may have made the decision?
Unfortunately, Dr. Giggles passed away three years ago.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=15790
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

That's awful. I'm so sorry to hear that. Thanks, Gary
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Whoops! That's what I get for not looking at the dates. :oops:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."