High-End Hoopla!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Abell vs Thin Weasel?
Copeland vs Overton?
O'Riordan vs Burke?
Generation vs Electric Shaver? (oops)

I've read through all the reviews (and forgive me Master Wisely, but are there any whistles that you Don't have a soft spot for?) on the C&F website - and now comes the problem.

Master Wisely has a page devoted to Selecting a Beginning whistle based on one's personality type. Does anything exist like that for Upper-End whistles? I know the O'Riordan and Burke would probably fall under the "Mellow" category, but where do the others fall?

An associate with relatively deep pockets might be financing a whistle for me...such a hard choice! Anyone who's been reading the message boards know that I'm a big fan of the Dixon; which priced-to-the-extreme whistle would fall into that category?

Thanks for your help,
Frank
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

O'Riordans are NOT mellow. They are loud and pure, similar in playability to a good strong wooden thin weasel.

Abells are very different from Thin Weasels. The first can be soft and rich and sweet...the second can be loud and pure and piercing. Both being wood doesn't account for much in the way of similarity.

Copelands and Overtons are very different, too.

Burkes are reliably good.

As for actual preferences, I won't do that publicly. Feel free to e-mail.

:smile: Jessie
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

could always have them get you a fistful of medium and low end whistles instead of one high end one
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Thanks for the advice. However, thanks to "the habit" and Thom at the Whistle shop, I've got a handful of inexpensive ones. :smile:

I "Personally" would have a hard time to qualify spending more than $150 on any whistle. However, gifts fall under a different category. (But then again, I have trouble qualifying the spending of Thousands of dollars on a hunk of crystalized charcoal.) :smile:

I know everyone has a preference, and I have mine... I like playing Dixons and Susatos. I guess my question really is, with my inexpensive whistle preference, which expensive whistles should I lean towards, and which ones would be wrong for me?

Thanks for all your help; is there hope for me Doc? Yes, take this little blue pill. :smile:

-Frank
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Frank,

The suggestion for several medium priced whistles might be something to consider further.

Although most Irish traditional music is written to be played on a D whistle. A number of tunes are more fitted for other keys.
A good set of keys for traditional tunes could include:
Sopranos: D, C
Mezzo-Soprano/Altos: Bb, A, G, F
Tenors(Low): D, C
If you already have the D's, getting someone to fill out the other 6 keys with Dixon tunables would run close to the same cost as a single expensive whistle (Around 250).

The Gift of a complete set of tunables (around 350), which would give you a couple extra whistles, would be quite nice. The duplicates (soprano and Low D's) would be great to have around as loaners for visitors.

There are a lot of other great whistles out there; but, if you really like Dixons, why not go with a complete set.

Just a suggestion which I hope help you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

The question is what do you like about the Susato and Dixon. Do you like volume? Do you like chiff? Do you like breath pressure? Do you like breath volume? What are the timbre qualities that you like about those whistles? When you say you like a Susato and you ask someone who does not like a Susato which more expensive whistles you might like is setting you up for disappointment.

One thing I dislike about a Susato is that there is a pressure gap where no tone is made. I think they are loud. They have some un-whistle-like timbre qualities (when I play them). I love listening to them when they are being played by O'Sullivan or Skelton.

I can think of characteristics with Susatos have in common with many makers.

I think the most Susato like whistle is the Weasel. Weasels so enjoyable to play.

O'Riordans are pure and loud
Copelands must be played agressivelly

Ask specifically.

One think that I fear is that, after collecting 40 odd marquis name whistles, that I may have been happy as an jackass in clover if I would have just purchased a Dixon FIRST. Then I could afford to order that blackwood flute and fix my antique sax.

For my opinion, Susato high whistles are OK. I like Oak, Clarke original, Walton original, and Sweetone. I want to try Little Black and Clare whistles to see how they hold up to my crummy playing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark_J on 2002-02-01 10:14 ]</font>
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Unless there's a time limit on your associate's offer (your imminent birthday?), I'd suggest waiting until you have had a chance to try some of these expensive whistles. Visit a well-stocked store, or go to festivals where you'll find makers and players.

Choosing an instrument you haven't tried based on someone else's analysis of what you say about what you like strikes me as the kind of thing you would only do with someone else's money. Oh yeah, right, that <i>is</i> what you're talking about! :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2001-07-09 23:35 ]</font>
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Wow! Some associate! Isn't it fun spending someone else's money.

I haven't tons of comparative advice to offer. But my new-to-me Copeland has to be the easiest whistle *I've* ever played - and I am a super non-aggressive player. Makes it sound as though I actually know what I'm doing! :smile:

Still ... a complete set of Dixons ...

happy deciding!
FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FairEmma on 2001-07-10 00:41 ]</font>
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

LOL... try to solve one question and 50 others appear. I'm going to guess that nobody out there is going to say "This is the whistle you need". Which is Ironic, because that's basically how Thom introduced me to the Dixon :smile:

I'm sorry, I can't remember who brought up trying out whistles. With all my other instruments, I did try them out before I bought them. Unfortunately, if you go to a music store in San Diego and ask for a tin whistle, you're shown a cardboard display of either generations, clarkes, or some generation-type whistle (one Store - which shall remain nameless - couldn't tell the difference between a recorder and a whistle!). One of these days, I would love to make a pilgrimage out to Illinois to check out the Whistle Shop, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Let's see, the qualities of the Susato and Dixon that I admire: They have a clear prominant tone - not necessarily loud (I can play the Dixon up to a high B at a pianissimo volume very easily), but it can be heard well outside. The dixon has a bit of a chiff, but it's not overly dominant (I'm sorry, Sweetones are great whistles, but all that chiff makes it sound like a 50 year old record). And finally, I like how they feel in my hands. The conical whistles feel too small/narrow.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble; I left my blue pills at work. :smile:

Thanks for all the input... keep it coming! Even if I don't totally agree with an opinion, I still respect it and get insight from it... Such is the way of the Force. :smile:

-Nighty-nite...it's past my bedtime...
-Frank
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

On the "trying out" issue: I've found the whistle-smiths I've dealt with are typically happy to offer a trial period. If you really don't connect with the whistle, you can return it. And this makes sense, as everyone wants a happy customer out there crowing about his/her work. And, of course, most are whistle players themselves and understand the diversity, knowing that what works for one may not work for another.

Managing this depends on how much patience you have (personally, I have none :smile:), as trials and returns take time.

I used to think there was one perfect whistle out there for me, and it was just a matter of finding it. Turns out, there are lots of whistles out there, each with its own mood and personality - much like friends. Maybe it would help to look at this opportunity as an adventure, rather than a directed quest? A chance to try that one whistle, the reviews of which have secretly and consistently appealed to you?

FE
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dr. Giggles...why no e-mail link?? My best friend lives in San Diego and has at least as many different whistles as I do. E-mail me and I'll put you in touch.

:smile: Jessie
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Sorry, I forgot to click the little checkbox to allow others to see my e-mail link.
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

I have tried Thin weasel, water weasel, all the cheapies including Susato, Sindt, Copeland, Abel, and Silkstone. I also am a professioanl recorder player and music teacher. I know how frustrating it can be to hear about all the different whistles and not be able to try before you buy. Each make is very different and also there are often differences within one maker and same design.
To offer my 2 cents: My favourite performing and playing whistle is an alloy Silkstone, it is clear, fast and has a bright but not too loud sound. It is fairly wide like a Susato. It is the only whistle I have played where professional players around here have commented about how great it sounds. On the other hand, when I am playing quietly around the house, or if I want a mellower or very traditional sounding instrument I play my Sindt. To me, Sindt is like a VERY good Generation. Silkstone "plays" more like a Susato, but sounds amazing!! The maker, Paul Haywood is a great guy. He replies to e-mails immediately and deals with his customers promptly.
I do not like my Copeland at all, it is slow, sounds muffled and needs too much air. I am waiting to try a replacement that Jim promised me several months ago.
For what it's worth, hope this helps, but remember that it is only one opinion, and there are hundreds of others out here.........Good Luck!
Sue
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I recommend a Copeland nickle D.
greg

beginer whistle

Post by greg »

im a begining whistle player who contracted "whoa "early on i have a burke high d an oak high d and a mack hoover high d brass and while the burke is very good i find the mack easier to work through new songs with the low breath requirements allow me to play veeeeery slowly without having to take a breath and the tone is exellent