Susato animosity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

burnsbyrne wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: True, I like Branston Pickle, but you don't hear me banging on about it.
So do I, Martin. I wonder who the other 98 are? Hey, wait a minute. Maybe eveybody likes Branston Pickle.
I probably like Branston Pickle...what is it?
Mike
Isn't a pickle a solution you dunk your silver into after soldering, to clean off the scale? Sulfamic acid or something? Where the hell is Jessie K when we need her!?
:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

burnsbyrne wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: True, I like Branston Pickle, but you don't hear me banging on about it.
So do I, Martin. I wonder who the other 98 are? Hey, wait a minute. Maybe eveybody likes Branston Pickle.
I probably like Branston Pickle...what is it?
Mike
It's like thickened Worcestershire sauce with lumpy bits. To be enjoyed with a good chedder, or beef, or... if they still exist ... a British Rail pork pie and a pint of Ruddles County. :) :) :) I know Ruddles still exists. I'm not so sure about British Rail.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I see the Susato the way I see dry wine. Good with other stuff, not so good by itself. If you find yourself the only whistler in a big session, it's the weapon of choice.
Current stage of grief: Denial
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

just today bought myself a susato low G. not too happy about it really. i don't like susatos much at all, but i'm playing in a friend's wedding, which will be taking place outside, and the one redeeming quality, which is usually one of the susato's detracting qualities, is that the whistle is loud. although it does seems to be sounding a tad better as i adjust to its airflow requirments.

Brendan
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

C&F is great. Where else could a discussion of Susato whistles evolve int a dicussion of pickles.
Ron
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Well I just received my Serpent Low D and can now compare it to my Susato Low D.

The Serpent is obviously man-made by a man who loves whistles and making whistles, and who took the time to make the whistle unique from all the others he makes in the same style. Kudos Serpent!! I LOVE your whistle. It is VERY, VERY quiet, so quiet that I can comfortably practice to my hearts content without messing with the neighbors. As far as the tone holes are concerned, they are so well-spaced that I was able to play the whistle from the moment I took it out of the shipping tube. Of course I had practiced on the Susato for a year or so and was able to play that without a piper's grip, so the Python was a charm with closer holes.

The Susato has a completely in-tune mellow sound, a bit like a hollow pipe to me but full sounding with that same Susato sound that you also find in the soprano D only lower. Its fine and I enjoy playing it.

The Serpent Python low D is quieter but is much easier to play, and is also in perfect tune. It has some interesting chiff a bit like the Clark, and it also has a very comfortable mouthpiece like the Sindt with a with delrin-type plastic fiple block. I have only been playing it for a day or so but I already am in love with it. I played the non ITM , American tunes " It's A Wonderful World" on it and also " New York, New York" and the sound is very, very nice on the ear with a bit of a fluty sound behind the chiff. The air reqirement is very small compared with the Susato and this threw me at first and had me playing two octaves at once until I learned to ease up and give it less air.

Bottom line. I like the Susato and will continue to play it because it is a fine whistle. I will play mostly the Python however, for all the reasons above.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

By the way, the main reason why many, many musicians don't like susatos is because they are very loud in a quiet/moderate session. I've been playing my susato from time to time in Ireland but to my defence it's mostly when I can't even hear myself cuz there's a crowd.

I think many [musicians] are selfish, and the susato becomes a dirty weapon in their hands. How many times have I been in a quiet session where an amazing whistle player would play his generation, and then you get this guy with the susato joining the session and you can't hear no more of the generation dude.

I could also say the same about whistle players owning a Copeland high D.
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

Well, now that i've actually got one and can try it, i'd say that it's not louder, but can be played louder. I can control the volume on this whistle more than I can on any other that i've got. About the only other thing i've noticed is there is a slight buzz when you play a la sweetone. Although not as pronounced as the sweetone. Is that normal?
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jeffmiester wrote:Well, now that i've actually got one and can try it, i'd say that it's not louder, but can be played louder. I can control the volume on this whistle more than I can on any other that i've got. About the only other thing i've noticed is there is a slight buzz when you play a la sweetone. Although not as pronounced as the sweetone. Is that normal?
If you like the volume control you can get with high-resistance whistles, you would also probably like the Syn.

--James
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

syn?
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jeffmiester wrote:syn?
Please see

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hlight=syn

You may also want to do a search on "syn"...there are many threads on these new whistles.

Quick summary: made of aluminum with a delrin fipple. Very high resistance; moderate volume. Nice ringing sound. Intonation is great. Price is (or was, anyway), $30, making this whistle a real steal.

--James
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Jeffmeister, you are right on..."buzz" is the word that describes part of the sound of the Susato.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

That buzz is part of the dreaded hrrrnng.

About playing a Susato softly: I don't think you can, at least not if you want to play in tune and above the high f# (on a D).
/Bloomfield
U2

Re: Susato animosity

Post by U2 »

jeffmiester wrote:. . . on the forum I've noticed alot of animosity towards susatos. Some tounge-in-cheek and some genuine. Why is that? I know some have said that they sound "recordery" (leaves a bad taste in you mouth even if you type it) but having not heard one myself I can't say. . .
As I sat and listened to Alec Finn accompany Sean Ryan, who was playing an Eb Susato; just the two of them, I freely admit that I had no negative thoughts about Susatos. I think perhaps the old saying is true, "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
Dorcas

Post by Dorcas »

I've just got a susato and thought what have I done...expensive and too recordery ...... :sniffle: but after a few hours and trying a few airs was quite impressed with the tone I got when playing Inisheer :D and its got quite a good range of dynamics...interesting what folk think tho.....