Susato animosity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cj »

Whoops, double-posted . . .
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the susato C is a very good c, and I like
the D, though it's a bit shrill upstairs--but that's
hardly uncommon in soprano whistles.
Found these of real value on the street.
Also perfectly in tune. When you consider
the price, they're exceptional, I think.

George is a crusty character but a good
fellow. On one occasion when I called up
and asked questions about thumb rests,
he argued with me about various things.
Later I received a package, thumbrests
from George, free.

Whistlesmythes are going to be
individual human beings with their
frailties and idiosyncrasies. I don't
expect them to be perfect, like me. Best
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I have a Susato low D which sounds OK but not very inspirational. But then I only own one Low D and cannot compare. I have the Dublin model D which I use if I feel like making noise. Still have not quite figured out what best to play on the C model.

I'm not hostile to the Susato at all, and I can see where if you want to have your sound be heard that you might want to choose this whistle over others. I think that they are very good whistles, but they sure are not for everyone. It is never the one I reach for first (Sindt or Clark) but I will reach for the Susato sometimes when I want to belt out a tune.
I can't wait to get my Python from Serpent to see how it compares to the Low D.
Last edited by Celtoid on Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

Thanks all for the replies
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

So, what did you think? Not a "tin whistle" sound thats for sure.
I used to play with a Harpest and the gentlier PVC sound worked
much better.
Lolly
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I have a Low G that MAck Hoover gave me. He didnt particularly like it, and he wasnt sure what to think about my attempts to play his whisltes. So he gave me a high air requirement whistle to toodle with.

IT sounded way better once I scraped the bottom, and replaced it with some 3/4" pvc with all the holes in the right place. And an extra hole, and tuned to Just intonation, and voiced for my GHB fingering... Its the "thing that should not be" and Mack still isnt sure about the thing, or my playing :D But it works for now until I make a fipple I like and toss the Susato fipple.

Not bad I suppose, for the money.. but they definitly need some work.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Hi all,

Have read somewhere that Sean Ryan's albums are good.
Does he still play Susatos after the two albums? Maybe those who are re***der haters might change their opinion should they listen to one of his CD's. Having said that though, a leopard can't change his spots. No use arguing the validity of one's taste for certain sort of noises anyway...
I, for one, own a Susato D and have dramatically altered the shape of the mouthpiece so as to make it suit my taste. I once ruined it whilst working with a burner, but few days ago I re-adjusted the fipple and it seems to be back in normal. I like the sound of this Susato Low D, and I can make it sound like either a Shakuhachi or a Low Rec***der (sorry, couldn't resist). But, I tell ye, I wanna have ordered a tunable one!! Without the tuning slide it looks like..eh....a stripped re***der.

:party:

I noticed that Susato's not got a F#. Must go for either Overton or Burke for a F#..? No, wait, actually, I can order a G and pull the slide a bit, thus manually making the whistle in the key of F, or something :D

By the way, good stuff, L-cross!
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
cj

Post by cj »

Somebody must like the much-maligned Susatos, as they won the favorite inexpensive whistle poll . . .
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

lollycross wrote:So, what did you think? Not a "tin whistle" sound that's for sure.
I used to play with a Harpest and the gentlier PVC sound worked
much better.
Lolly
Harper, surely?

Gentler, surely?

I like Susatos, they're in tune, production quality is great, and they can honk like a goose if you blow them just so. Only drawback is that recorders sound like them, sometimes.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

cj wrote:Somebody must like the much-maligned Susatos, as they won the favorite inexpensive whistle poll . . .
One thing to remember, especially online, is that for every person posting who doesn't like something, there may be a hundred that do like it but simply don't post about it.

--James
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

peeplj wrote:
cj wrote:Somebody must like the much-maligned Susatos, as they won the favorite inexpensive whistle poll . . .
One thing to remember, especially online, is that for every person posting who doesn't like something, there may be a hundred that do like it but simply don't post about it.

--James
True, I like Branston Pickle, but you don't hear me banging on about it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

ABS plastic recorders sound like they are made
of ABS plastic. Susato whistles sound like they're
made of ABS plastic. But Susato whistles don't
sound like recorders--only like they're made of
the stuff that inexpensive recorders are made of.
IMHO.
cj

Post by cj »

Peeplj wrote:
cj wrote:
Somebody must like the much-maligned Susatos, as they won the favorite inexpensive whistle poll . . .

--James
This is true; folks dwell on the negative sometimes. I try to balance this and post when I like something. Positive reinforcement is a powerful tool; all you other parents out there likely have figured this out. Also, in the case of a whistle maker or store I dealt with, I like to post here if I had a good experience with them, so they might get more business and know what they're doing right. Fortunately, other than a few dud whistles, most of my whistle experiences of all kinds have been good ones. And the information I get here, both positive and negative, has been invaluable.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Martin Milner wrote:
peeplj wrote:

--James
So do I, Martin. I wonder who the other 98 are? Hey, wait a minute. Maybe eveybody likes Branston Pickle.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Wombat wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
peeplj wrote:

--James
So do I, Martin. I wonder who the other 98 are? Hey, wait a minute. Maybe eveybody likes Branston Pickle.
I probably like Branston Pickle...what is it?
Mike