Bored and Perturbed...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

fancypiper wrote:AFAIK, aluminum won't solder.
Quite poorly, but it will: soldering is not welding, just a warm "metal glue" of sorts.
But you're generally right. It won't solder with a reliable bond. And certainly not will bakelite (if thinking of Burke)... but both will find adequate modern cold glues.

Funny thing is most Quenas have a bore restriction, just at the end.
So do some Albas, with a less pronounced restriction.
You can call it a perturbation.

All it gets to, when you think of the "limit layer" effects of an airstream, is kind of creating a "virtual cone" for laminar flows in the bore.

As far as I can judge from Albas and quenas, having no experience with Burkes nor Reyburns, is that it works...

Also, Overtons (and all older square head/round tube whistles like the all-metal pre-plastic Generations) and recent Chieftains, as well as Albas, have a perturbation of sorts, but up there, next to the blade.

Now, to give back to Cæsar... Michael Burke was the first (to my limited knowledge) to call his alterations of the cylinder "Perturbations". He should have registered such a nicely coined--and ain't it perturbating?--definition.
Also, he seems alone to fit a restricting shim in the middle of the tube, not only down under or high up.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

lixnaw wrote: you're right charlie, i'm sorry i got careless there
Not a problem -- To be perfectly honest, I very much like reading Mike's posts, so I try to encourage him to contribute.
Zubivka wrote:
fancypiper wrote:AFAIK, aluminum won't solder.
Quite poorly, but it will: soldering is not welding, just a warm "metal glue" of sorts.
But you're generally right. It won't solder with a reliable bond.
My experience is that aluminum solders just fine. It's certainly more difficult than copper -- you have to be careful about surface preparation and use a good hot iron, the right solder (i. e., not eutectic), and the right flux. Aluminum also welds well, although that's also tricky. Certain alloys don't weld well, and again, the surface is important; for example, if it's been sandblasted it generally won't weld.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi Everyone,
Just saw the thread on Perts and of course, since they have always been a part of every Burke Whistle, I was interested.
I did not invent the idea of Perturbations, though I think I am the first one to apply them to whistles.
If you read Arthur Benades book on Music Accoustics, he explains their use.
Actually, the great makers of flutes and Recorders were using them 400 years ago, so it is just a rediscovery on my part after studying some articles on the measurement of many classic Recorders and Baroque flutes.
But the question I think that Doc asked and others was how they are attached, etc.
Whenever possible, I machine the perturbations into the bore, and in other cases where this is not possible, we machine rings that fit fairly snug and use super glue to hold them in. This works well, with only a very few ever coming lose and that after someone did some rather intensive plunging into the bore with sticks, etc.
As Renaldo said, the easiest way to add an expansion is by just cutting the tubes and putting in a coupling. Luckily only one expansion is necessary for my whistles to make them play perfectly in tune, but depending on the model, we may have as few as three and as many as 5 compression points in a bore.
It doesn't make sense to put more things in a bore than necessary to make it play in tune and jump octaves well, so I always just work out each model individually and use what is needed for that key.
The perts are not supposed to be seen, since the ideal thing is to make it look like the design is as simple as possible and the stuff that makes it great are not visible, so that only the great sound when playing the music is seen.
I had a great visit with Brian Fineggan of Flook at Milwaukee Fest on night from 1:30-3:45AM and what I told Brian is what I believe. The whistles I make should not make people think- Wow, what a great maker Mike Burke is!, but Wow!, isn't that great music that Brian is playing!!
Brian is a great musician and he is even a greater person and artist. He loves the music and is very humble about his own abilities. If you haven't seen Flook, then you have not seen the hottest group around right now. Brian and Sarah are just awesome with the flutes. Sarah plays that big
Silver Alto Flute standing on one leg. She is not that big, but she is strong!!
Their latest CD is just fantastic too.
Well, I digress, but the point is not that we uses some gimmick to get attention, called Perturbations, but that they are one more tool to make whistles play well in tune and jump octaves cleanly after providing a strong , big round lower octave. All these things are a result of properly place Perts in the bores. I am delighted that thoughtful and talented makers like Ronaldo are applying them to their designs. If we keep working hard, Ronaldo, we may someday be as smart as those master Recorder makers who made those wonderful instruments that have survived hundreds of years to reveal their secrets, or at least some of them.
As, I think it was Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the Sun".
We truly stand on the shoulders of Giants. It is humbling thing to discover how little we truly know, but delightful to rediscover something they knew and put it to work in a new instrument and be amazed at the music that is born from it.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Well said Michael! I'll keep working and perhaps one day.......

Ronaldo
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

I have seen, but not used, a speciality aluminium solder. I also understand there is an 'araldite' specially for aluminium, used in the aircraft industry.
So good it has to be a SYN!
glauber

Post by glauber »

Michael Burke wrote:what I told Brian [Finnegann of Flook] is what I believe. The whistles I make should not make people think- Wow, what a great maker Mike Burke is!, but Wow!, isn't that great music that Brian is playing!!!
That's because he's so good. When people hear me playing my brass SessionPro, they say "That Mike Burke is really amazing!" :)

Anyway, Mike, if it wasn't for you peddling a couple of your whistles to me in St Louis a couple of years ago, i wouldn't even be whistling today. Thanks!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Cranberry wrote:I'd also like to know more about perturbed bores.
Hey, contact me in private and then I can tell you ALL about myself! :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

syn whistles wrote:I have seen, but not used, a speciality aluminium solder. I also understand there is an 'araldite' specially for aluminium, used in the aircraft industry.
Araldite brand has an aluminium powder-filled epoxy, so does Loctite (and I guess many others). This stuff is amazing. Once cured you can file it, or even thread it.
In motorcycle endurance races, we (and major teams, too) used it to repair aluminium engine cases spilling oil after a fall on a track. We'd paste that sloppily directly over the hot engine (just using solvent to remove the oil from the surface)!
The only problem is that even polished it doesn't look like aluminium, but more like lead.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Mike and Ronaldo thanks for the input.

I feel less "bored and perturbed" with this topic all the time. :D

Mostly thanks for the great contributions to whistledom in general. Your instruments have brought me and my family great joy. :)

Doc