How often do you buy whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How often do you buy whistles?

Every week
3%
Every 2 weeks
5%
Every month
14%
Every 2 months
10%
Every 3 months
14%
Every 6 months
26%
Every year
5%
Every 2 years
3%
Hardly ever
19%

Total votes: 58

TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

the only whistle I've bought in the past year is my Elfsong D, but people keep giving them to me for birthdays and christmas. I have like 15 of them now and I still can't play worth a damn :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

kevin m. wrote:I buy whistles more often than my lowly standard of playing warrants.Though I do have the 'excuse' that most of my recent purchases have been in the 'antique/vintage' field,rather than purely 'Players',if that makes sense! :D
Kevin

That sounds frighteningly familiar! At least I'm now trying to sell a few of mine off.
cj

Post by cj »

Add me to the cyclical, when-money-is-available list. I take whistling in spells (at times will not play for several months), then get back into it big-time, as I am now. This is because I have not only WhOA, but Musical Instrument Acquisition Disorder in general.

I've been on somewhat of a WhOA binge lately, as most of you gathered from reading my reviews on different whistles. The Burke is my only high-end one, and I enjoy both it and the cheapies. Who can resist the temptation of so much music for under $10? I don't have a spouse to ask me why I need so many whistles, so that's not an issue.

At the moment, I have a Dixon Bb on order.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Depends on a whole lot of factors:
First and foremost, do I have the money? (note technical skill, can I play the whistle, is not the first :D )
Second: Have I mastered the last whistle I bought yet (I use mastered very loosely, but whatever) I dont buy another whistle until I feel I can play the last whistle I bought to a certain degree (no squeeks, the tone I like etc.)
So, the wait list length is another factor, if I'm waiting for a whistle with a three month long wait list, I probably wont buy another whistle for another five months (get the whistle and master it)
Throw in random factors of Depression (I feel sad so I shall buy myself a new toy) Joy (lets celebrate with a new toy) and Boredom (nothing to do, lets window shop, credit cards are so effient :) ) Not to mention fantastic reviews by chiff boarders help influence my buying pattern, and it all boils down to this:
Whenever I want to :) :) :)
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I voted about every 3 months because you didn't ask how often I buy a whistle, but how often I by whistles.
So ... about every 3 months I buy 'um, well okay I buy 'a few'. Okay maybe more than a few ... Maybe a dozen inexpensive whistles to give away, and maybe one or two or three or four new intermediate priced whistles.
Of course Ebay purchases and second hand purchases from C&F members don't count. They happen, when someone misses the steal I get to make, like the purchase of my Overton Low-D for 120. Or they miss the opportunity to help out fellow musicians raise money for the important things (like buying more whistles) Those aren't whistle purchases, their investments: investments in the music and investment in people. Those occur as opportunity provides... "
(Quote from recent discussion with my Dearly Beloved regarding whistle purchases)

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :wink:
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I have a bad WHOA, but not as bad as it used to be, it's mainly about playing, these day's. I now buy a new whistle about every 2 months. I've come to the knowledge that flutes is better to waste money on, as they really are very expensive and very variable in quality. I get along very well with the tweaked Generations, Sweetunes, Shaws, Oaks, Waltons, Feadogs and so on that I usualy play. I play them out with the band and at sessions and they work fine. It's not quite the same with flutes however.
But I have to admit that I was seriously thinking about buying a tunable Alba D. That was the best whistle I've ever played, but I'll stick to my cheapies anyway, they're good enough for whistles.
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

Not as often as I'd like to!

Ha ha ha, oh well anyway.
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---