Hey! JessieK! / back from Ireland

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alberto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Alberto »

Hey Everyone!

I'm just back from Ireland and just now got re-registered for the new message board.
First I'd like to say congrats to Jessie,
Chris, Arturo and any others for taking that leap over to the island, you're in for quite an experience! Soooo much that I could
write about here but I'd like to bring up
a few points (of interest) as well as a few
perceptions etc, and would like to know what
some of you think.
One of the most impressive places that we
visited was a little village called
Glencolumkille (this is one of a few ways
I see the town spelled) in Co. Donegal.
There is a college of Irish language and
music there and the whole place is a
strikingly beautiful. This is a quiet peaceful place where you may escape from
the busy pace of the big city. Of course you'll discover places on your own
but I do highy recomend this bit of heaven on earth!
My last night there was one of the best that
that I had! I was not able able to book
a place to stay in Dublin my last night there since was a concert in town. Quite
fortunately Dermot and Maire Whelan (Gavin's
parent's) let me stay with them. I thought I'd rest, it being my last night and all,
but they we're planning on going to a ceile
at a place called Aras Chromain in an area
of Dublin called Clondalkin not far from where they lived. All of a sudden I wasn't
so exhausted. (funny how that is,eh?)
Dermot made me get out there and do the
"Seige of Ennis" dance with them although
I insisted that is was a BIG mistake!
This was a beginners dance so it wasn't a
total disaster even though a bit of what
I'd call Celtic slam dancing took place a
few times! (i TOLD them!) Dermot has pictures
to blackmail me with and promises to send
copies. BTW-I'm sure you'll meet him while at
Clancy week or Doolin, tell him Alberto says
hello if you do. (and please don't look at those pictures.ok?) Had a URL for the place but can't find it at the moment, will post it another time.
Talking with a lady there she mentioned how she thought it stange that
there could be someone from Texas that plays
Irish music. She wondered what points of reference we might have here at all. This
bothered me a bit although I know of quite
a few reference points all over Texas and
,of course, the internet. I sort of couldn't
help but wonder if what she really meant
was- what right have we to play their music
in a place so "remote" as south Texas?
Anyway I didn't take offence,or anything, but
yeah, I could understand her question. Music
and people's passion for it are touchy-feely
things and it hard,sometimes, to explain.
She wasn't being negative or anything I have
encountered a few "attitudes" on occasion
however. Over all the trip was excellent
and the people were ace! I was just wondering what some of you might think about the last point? I know that this a bit off topic but was just wondering.
Oh! Here's something whistle related! We
went to see Cherish the Ladys at a place called the Shelter in Dublin. While going for a pint at the bar I turned around and
standing right there was Matt Molloy!
I got him to sign my whistle which was a Thin
Weasle that I had previously sanded so that it could be written upon. He very patiently
finally got a good signature on it after about three attempts! A very nice man he is!
So much more that I could blab about but
better end for now. Latter everyone!

Alberto
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2001-07-08 12:20, Alberto wrote:
I sort of couldn't help but wonder if what she really meant was- what right have we to play their music in a place so "remote" as south Texas?
I wasn't there and I can't read minds even if I had been - but my feeling is that she didn't mean what you thought. I don't think (from living here for a while now) that the Irish are at all *precious* about their musical heritage. Look at me, an Englishman setting up a traditional music/Irish book store on the West Coast of Ireland. I have had nothing, but help and good wishes - in abundance! My new shop is next door to a photographer who played Box in Irish bands in the 70' and 80's and who knows FAR more about it all than I ever will. He's virtually BUILT my shop for me and we're becoming great friends.

OK, people vary, but my guess is that what the lady meant was something along the lines of how suprised she was that the interest in Irish music had travelled so far across the world. Perhaps, given her lack of knowledge of modern International communication methods (like this one) she just didn't know how you would *know*.

I think she'd be thrilled to think you were playing and enjoying trad. Irish music in Texas!

Take care

Steve Power

http://www.shannaquay.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'd concur with Steve's impression about the Irish (in Ireland) and their music. For a little context, I heard recently there are 3.5 million people living in Ireland and about 70 million decendents around the world. The music went out into the world in a big way starting probably in the 1700's, mainly to North America and Australia. In the 1950's, traditional musicians and academics in Ireland were worrying the music was in danger of dying out. But, in the late '60's and thru the '70's it took off and band started touring. They became immediately popular in Europe and the US. Since then, local (non-Irish) bands and sessions have sprung up throughout the world, including Japan. (One of the most highly regarded celtic-style guitar accompanists in a very elite session at the Plough and Stars in San Francisco is from Japan. He used to play bluegrass in Japan, where it seems to be popular.) When I visited Ireland in the '70's- I mainly hung out with first cousins at their homes- I was hard pressed to find trad music. That's not to say ballad singing isn't a mainstay at any family party or gettogether. And guitars and accordians were in abundance.

Like Steve mentioned, there isn't a possessive jealousy about who's playing the music. An Englishman who plays fiddle in our slowsession group used to play Flamenco guitar. He said he got flak from people in dancers' circles because he didn't have a legitimate ethnic pedigree. He further said no one cared who he was in trad Irish music circles. Our mutual interest in the music has brought us together as good friends. (I was born in Dublin.) Further, someone polled the uilleann pipe list for a master's dissertation on non-Irish playing trad music, ie, how you got into it, etc. It's become a topic of study for academics.

As an immigrant (I left when I was 2yrs old and spent one yr as an 8yr old in Dublin), I don't identify myself as entirely Irish or American. The music, I love to play; the same reason anyone else does. I didn't grow up in the tradition. I just found a Dubliners record album of my dad's in the house and fell in love with it. Self-taught since then.

Here's my prognostication for the future of the music: right now, the best players are the Irish, mainly, because they've been playing the longest. That will change. When young players around the world get some practice under their belts, Willie Clancy Week will be legitimate somewhere outside of Ireland for the quality of learning. Inevitably, the music will evolve, as it is, with influences from elsewhere. I don't judge that as bad or good. Just inevitable. I think we fool ourselves with our beliefs about the current style of playing. It has been evolving all along. I asked Kevin Crehan, grandson of Junior Crehan, about the differences in style now and then (1930's and prior). He was suitably vague and said there is more ornamentation now. And I always figure we're imitating popular versions by popular players, who did the same in their time. The greats are always praised for their innovation. hmm....

I know you didn't ask for this dissertation, but hey. Had to get if off my chest. :smile:
Tony
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Thanks, Steve and Tony for the great
replys! Your wonderful "dissetations"
have nailed it right on for me.
Thanks a million!

Alberto
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Hi, Alberto! Thanks for addressing me! :smile:

I spoke to Patrick Olwell and he gave me some advice...he said I should bring American songs to sing as opposed to Irish, because they've heard the Irish ones a million times and would probably be bored. I found this very interesting. I am working on my Beach Boys songs. I already know tons of country songs.

Sounds like you had an incredible time!

:smile: Jessie