Dixon Traditional D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colin r
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Brand new player. Just purchased a clarke original in d... Also interested in making / tweaking and tuning whistles.

Dixon Traditional D

Post by colin r »

I have decided to purchase a Dixon Traditional D Whistle.
Simple question is, which one do I purchase, nickel or brass... ? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks...
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Dixon Traditional D

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

My D is brass. My C is alloy (aluminum). They both sound nice. Have you checked out recordings on YouTube? For me, brass feels better in my hands, but then again, I play the nickel Generation Bb because I like the sound of it better than the brass Gen Bb. But....I must say my Clarke C original made of tin actually feels the best. And one more thing. Brass tarnishes nicely and takes on a very personal patina.
There, I think I made it worse for you.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Brass is less slippery. Nickel tone is perhaps a little brighter. I always recommend brass for that reason, but you won't go wrong either way.
ickabod

Post by ickabod »

awildman wrote:you won't go wrong either way.
+1 :thumbsup:
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
MathiasTheBard
Tell us something.: I'm looking to sell my Copley and Boegli 4 Key African Blackwood Irish Flute. It's in like-new condition as I haven't played it very much. I bought it with the intent to play more than I have and then I decided to go to school for occupational therapy. That being said I haven't had the time to play or practice as much as I like. It needs a good home with someone who will play it and take care of it.

Post by MathiasTheBard »

I'm a fan of the brass myself but, in the end, it is all a matter of opinion as to what YOU like. Personally, with my style of playing, I like the brass. IMO gives a smoother sound where as the nickel has more of a shrill sound. Could have been the recordings I have listened to but IMO - I like the brass.

Brass - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGO1ORo73bo

Good luck! :thumbsup:
colin r
Tell us something.: Brand new player. Just purchased a clarke original in d... Also interested in making / tweaking and tuning whistles.

Post by colin r »

Thanks all for the help. I opted for the brass one, which left me with a bit extra money, so while I was busy, I ordered a Feadog Pro in nickel... I am now not going to order any more... lol
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

The operative word is now. You are not going to order any more whistles now, but later, you will buy more like so many people on this forum. Go with it; there is no cure. :boggle:
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:The operative word is now. You are not going to order any more whistles now, but later, you will buy more like so many people on this forum. Go with it; there is no cure. :boggle:
+1 .... very funny, as in, I agree ... there is something about whistles .... I still have a polymer Dixon high D that I won't get rid of. I think one of the contributing factors to collecting cheap whistles is most people can afford to keep a variety of them.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
colin r

Post by colin r »

Got the Dixon and I like it very much... Well on the way to putting together The Irish Washerwoman. This will be my first tune apart from some christmas tunes that I have been messing about with... :D
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Colin, I have a Dixon Trad brass D as well. It has a pretty tone and is nice to play.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
colin r

Post by colin r »

Chifmunk wrote:Colin, I have a Dixon Trad brass D as well. It has a pretty tone and is nice to play.

Agreed, it has a great sound and feels nice to use, was very happy with my choice. Still love the Clarke Original though... It's funny, I talk as if I have been playing for years... ' Not ' Still very much a week old beginner, still working on my first Jig... Practice is paying off though... Slowly... :thumbsup:
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!

Post by Chifmunk »

I hear you Colin! Do whisltes have a 'break-in period' after which they sound better and better? I could swear my Dixon brass Trad D sounds way better than it did when i started playing pennywhistle a couple months ago. lololol ;D
colin r

Post by colin r »

Maybe just getting better... lol I do believe that they are effected by temperature change and warm up as you are playing... I was talking to the folks from Clarke about this, as I thought my Clarke Original was out of tune... Turns out that it was me that was out of tune... The Dixon and the Clarke Original are worlds apart, love them both equally...
awildman

Post by awildman »

I'm guessing the Clarke was exactly a whole step flat compared to the Dixon...
Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

The Dixon Trad is tunable, which is good.