Recommendation please: non-plastic low d whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chubbychecker
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I would like information on purchasing a tin whistle. In particular I am trying to find a low d whistle that is not made of plastic.

Recommendation please: non-plastic low d whistle

Post by chubbychecker »

I am in the market to buy a low d whistle, not made of plastic, and one that is not too "breathy". I want a good one so I am not shopping based on price. I am not concerned whether it is tunable or not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Recommendation please: non-plastic low d whistle

Post by BigDavy »

Burke might suit the bill.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Michael Burke's low D is dependably excellent.
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Reviol, Lofgren, Lambe, Copeland, Carbony, Reyburn, Burke, Goldie, Bracker, etc... Really depends on your own personal taste. There are dozens that fit your criteria and I'm sure that for each one there are several here who love it and several who dislike it. The only way to know is to try one out to see if it is for you or not. Or, at very least, narrow down the criteria a bit.
trill

Post by trill »

Let's not forget the Resonance low-d by Ralph Sweet !
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

If everyone liked the same low D as everyone else, all the other makers would very quickly go out of business through lack of orders.

So ...

Try to get to play a few different whistles at a shop / festival.
Try to find out what whsitles are played by the players you particularly like the sound of.
Don't be afraid to buy one and then sell it if it doesn't work for you.

And ... Colin Goldie is the correct answer. For me, that is, not necessarily for you.
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

Have you ever played a low d Mr. Chubby Checker with one post ?
Whistling in the Rockies!!
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Hi and welcome - any relation to Ernest Evans is welcome here.....

There is a lot of discussion of whistles on here, so you are likely to get more help than you ever expected - we are a friendly bunch - but it would help us to focus if you added some details.
  • What musical instruments do you play?
  • What low D's have you tried? (And it does not matter if you have not played any - I started with the low D)
  • What did you like/dislike about them?
  • Why not plastic (I prefer non-plastic but there are some excellent plastic whistles out there)
  • What sort of music do you want to play (just curious)
I play Bleazey (wood, a little bit challenging to play, lovely sound, easy balanced octaves) and Copeland (lovely sound, easy to play, expensive and difficult to find)
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

You might want to consider whether you want the whistle to be free-blowing and use more breath, or use less breath but require more blowing pressure like the difference between blowing down a wide and a narrow straw. That would certainly reduce your list of possible options.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

trill wrote:Let's not forget the Resonance low-d by Ralph Sweet !
I'll second that. Mine has a very flute like tone, is easy to finger and plays the full two octaves easily.
Colin Goldies whistles are also terrific, but VERY different in terms of sound and breath requirements.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Colin Goldie's whistles are . . . VERY different in terms of . . . breath requirements.
We have to be careful about categorising Colin's whistles. They vary so much. To begin with he makes each key in a variety of "strengths" from soft blower to hard blower, from higher to lower air requirements. But then he will also respond to a player's particular requirements. Right now he's building me a whistle that should have modest air requirements but that, like the Resonance, plays two octaves easily.
chubbychecker
Tell us something.: I would like information on purchasing a tin whistle. In particular I am trying to find a low d whistle that is not made of plastic.

Post by chubbychecker »

Mikethebook wrote:You might want to consider whether you want the whistle to be free-blowing and use more breath, or use less breath but require more blowing pressure like the difference between blowing down a wide and a narrow straw. That would certainly reduce your list of possible options.
Hi tin whistle gang,
Thanks for raising great points I hadn't thought of. I have only played a regular (non-low) D from Oak so far. I play moderate to fast jigs and reels. My main concern is avoiding a low D that is too breathy and/or requires too much air. Do any particular whistle makes/models come to mind based on this new info?
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

If you're playing jigs and reels then air requirements aren't too crucial since there are plenty of opportunities to take a breath. Breathiness is a relative term but avoid the Shaw Low D which is very breathy and takes lots of air. Beyond that, there is still plenty of choice. Burke and Bracker use more air than average but tend towards a pure tone if you like that. A soft blowing Goldie would be my choice, quite economical when it comes to breath but with a tone that isn't too breathy in my opinion . . . but you need to listen to examples if you can on YouTube for example. Lofgren is similar. Lambe and Reviol are great for playing high in the second octave but tend towards a weaker first octave. If it's jigs and reels mainly then you possibly don't need to play too high in the second octave. You might also consider an MK Pro that many people favour but you need to make your own decision as to what is too breathy and what isn't.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

chubbychecker wrote: I am not shopping based on price
Lucky man :wink:

For what my opinion is worth (and I am no expert) it seems to me that there are two things that you might need to learn. In the short term you should probably learn the 'Super-EZ-grip' (sometimes known as 'pipers grip'). For that any reasonable whistle would do. In the long term you need to learn what you want from a low D whistle. That will take time and money. I have seen people bandy all sorts of words around - flutey, breathy, mellow, responsive, easy-blower, ad nauseam.... None of it meant diddly-squat to me until I started playing. Once I could play a bit, then I went looking for whistles I liked (actually that is a bit of a lie - I did waste some money before I knew what I was doing). Tried a few and settled on the ones I have. I dont think that I have even been tempted by a whistle purchase for two, three, four years. (MODS: am I allowed to admit this in public? Or have I just 'fessed up to WHOAD police?)

So, for short term I would recommend getting anything reasonably easy to play and learning on it - for this I would recommend the Dixon tapered bore even though it is plastic - I wish I had learned on one. You don't have to play it for ever, but I bet you wont sell it in a hurry. If when you sell it you wont lose much. I am not a fan of plastic whistles, but it is so dam easy to play that I still have mine. I will pass it on to step-grandson if and when he wants one. When you feel competent then its time to explore - it would be a shame to lose money rejecting a whistle that you did not appreciate, just to buy it again later when your skill had advanced (DAMHIKT). If you hang around this forum long enough, you could join the 'feeding chain' buying the whistles others have tried and not clicked with. Or you could buy new high end whistles and sell the ones you don't like into the feeding chain.

You could listen to lots of recordings of different whistles, but my undeveloped ear found this very misleading.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
chubbychecker

Post by chubbychecker »

Anyone have an opinion on the Chieftain Low D Thunderbird? Sounds tempting.